A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So Shazam supposedly is mostly about having a family and togetherness and the warmth of having one. Would this play well with Chinese audiences? One user on this forum also said the movie has as much action as Captain Marvel so I don't think that should be a big problem.

IMO Shazam will work big in China.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

I don't see it flopping in the US though. It is currently projected to open $50M to $60M OW.

I think Dumbo will be a hit in the US but not in China. It is going to be competing with 人间·喜剧 The Human Comedy on week of release which has a lot more awareness online. 

Even though normally you could say it's good counter programming, I don't see Dumbo having much traction or interest across Chinese social media. Which is a shame as it does seem to have some nice family elements, as you mentioned.

Maybe just a poor marketing job from Disney but I don't see how they can turn it around so close to release. I feel like Disney rely heavily on nostalgia for a movie like this in the US, at least to get the ball rolling and some initial buzz, but the original Dumbo is basically unknown in China. 

It is in 3D though, in contrast to The Human Comedy, so that may help it a little!

Edited by RaidensSword
Rewording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bohemian Rhapsody's run is not limited. And it's not exactly an exclusive release in the National Alliance of Arthouse Cinemas.

3000+cinemas are playing the film. The number is the same as that of the total cinemas in the country in 2012. In other words, BR is playing as wide as Mission Impossible 4 (Jan 2012, 650m).

Another view to demonstrate no expansion is needed: per screening attendance of BR is only 24 and 17 on Saturday and Sunday respectively, though the highest among current top 10. It's not like people who want to watch it do not have the chance to watch it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Bohemian Rhapsody's run is not limited. And it's not exactly an exclusive release in the National Alliance of Arthouse Cinemas.

3000+cinemas are playing the film. The number is the same as that of the total cinemas in the country in 2012. In other words, BR is playing as wide as Mission Impossible 4 (Jan 2012, 650m).

Another view to demonstrate no expansion is needed: per screening attendance of BR is only 24 and 17 on Saturday and Sunday respectively, though the highest among current top 10. It's not like people who want to watch it do not have the chance to watch it.

While this is correct and I understand your point, it's not a limited release in the standard sense, but it's screens are still limited compared to the amount of screens in China. People's habits change a lot in 7 years and maybe they are used to going to a closer cinema now. Not to mention there could be plenty of cinemas added since then in smaller towns or more remote places that could have showed it but aren't. 

Of course people who want to watch it will travel or go to a cinema that's showing it. But it has less chance of attracting walk up viewings or people who don't live locally to a cinema that is showing it and don't have the motivation to travel further. 

I am not calling for an expansion anyway, just adding my thoughts.