iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

Well, I am out of here. Going to kill some zombies on Resident Evil 5 (yes, while the rest of the world is playing RE6, I started RE5 on Wednesday).Call me when we have OD numbers.

Edited by CJohn

9 years later. :rofl:

That's right after a decade it still retained all of its fan base. Funny cause I seem to recall you saying over and over this wasn't LOTR and that it wouldn't attract anywhere near as big an audience. Well so far it has and now you're trying to spin that as a disappointment? LMFAO!

Um how is it NOT impressive that after a decade it still matched one of the biggest finales of the millennium in midnight admissions? C'mon now baumer.

Do I really have to explain this to you? ROTK did 8 mill at midnights in 2003 when the biggest midnight before that was what...3 mill? It did 8 mill at a time when midnights hardly existed. When that number came out, people were shocked. Now 9 years later when midnights for loonie based franchises are at an all time high, it does 13 mill. That's hardly fantastic. It is supposed to be the biggest movie event since Jesus was a baby and yet you guys are calling 13 mill fantastic?Sorry, but that's just wrong.
  • Like 4

For a mega franchise with what was said to be a massive fanbase, I don't see how $13m can be seen as anything but disappointing. I mean, even Sith 7 1/2 years ago did 17m.The review results are as I expected, down to 65% and a bad rating. This is Ang Lee Hulk ugly. But the Hobbit should be critic proof, and the bad reviews were held back for as long as possibble, so what are the reasons for the weaker midnights?I'm open to any ideas for this discussipn, because the only thing that makes any sense is that time has not been kind to LOTR and many lost interest in this world. Also, perhaps repeat viewings over the past decade exposed the flaws and excesses in the LOTR trilogy, and people don't view more of that as MUST SEE and are content to just wait until it comes out on video so they can have the remote in hand ready to skip through the boring parts.Thoughts?

Rise of the Guardians got better reviews and much more hate on this board.
  • Like 1

Well, I am out of here. Going to kill some zombies on Resident Evil 5 (yes, while the rest of the world is playing RE6, I started RE5 on Wednesday).Call me when we have OD numbers.

What's your cell number? I'll call you. :)

Do I really have to explain this to you?ROTK did 8 mill at midnights in 2003 when the biggest midnight before that was what...3 mill? It did 8 mill at a time when midnights hardly existed. When that number came out, people were shocked.Now 9 years later when midnights for loonie based franchises are at an all time high, it does 13 mill. That's hardly fantastic. It is supposed to be the biggest movie event since Jesus was a baby and yet you guys are calling 13 mill fantastic?Sorry, but that's just wrong.

You're acting as if we were predicting this to become The Avengers 2.The VAST majority were predicting no more than mid teens for midnights, and not much higher than 125m. So relative to what a lot were predicting, it's pretty great, and 350m+ appears to be on the table at this point in time.

Since the amount of tickets is about the same, we know that whatever number of LOTR fans who were turned off by the look of the trailers, the 9 years separating it from the other movies, or who just didn't care that much for "The Hobbit" as opposed to LOTR, were covered by the growth of the fanbase over the years.

It's not that easy, really. Potter 6 nearly doubled Potter 5 midnights and they ended up with nearly the same in cume. Midnights just got way more common so you can't say, that "The Hobbit" holding ROTK admission has something to do with growing fan crowd.It's more about capacities and midnight record today being 5,5 times of 2003-ROTK-record. Edited by Poseidon

Do I really have to explain this to you? ROTK did 8 mill at midnights in 2003 when the biggest midnight before that was what...3 mill? It did 8 mill at a time when midnights hardly existed. When that number came out, people were shocked. Now 9 years later when midnights for loonie based franchises are at an all time high, it does 13 mill. That's hardly fantastic. It is supposed to be the biggest movie event since Jesus was a baby and yet you guys are calling 13 mill fantastic?Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Oh baumer you really are way too far gone on this one aren't you? First off not even the most diehard fans were saying this was THE movie event to end all movie events so just stop that silliness. Second as I've already explained it was incredibly easy for LOTR to break midnight records back on the early aughts. Midnights weren't a big deal at all yet. What makes you think ROTK would have sold more tickets at midnight today? It likely would have done its midnight adjusted, which is what hobbit just did, so what exactly is your point?

Oh baumer you really are way too far gone on this one aren't you? First off not even the most diehard fans were saying this was THE movie event to end all movie events so just stop that silliness. Second as I've already explained it was incredibly easy for LOTR to break midnight records back on the early aughts. Midnights weren't a big deal at all yet. What makes you think ROTK would have sold more tickets at midnight today? It likely would have done its midnight adjusted, which is what hobbit just did, so what exactly is your point?

You're way off the mark on that. The matket has drastically changed. Midnights are MUCH bigger now in exactly the same way that opening weekends are much bigger than they were back in the day. Midnight showings are now big business and part of the marketing plan in a much more profound way than it was in 2003.
  • Like 1

Word of mouth will be great in the USA. Regular audiences are eating this up. A bunch of my friends who have no clue how Rotten Tomatoes works think it is getting stellar reviews. I didn't say anything lol. People are very excited for this. It will have a great run over the holiday season and into January.

You're way off the mark on that. The matket has drastically changed. Midnights are MUCH bigger now in exactly the same way that opening weekends are much bigger than they were back in the day. Midnight showings are now big business and part of the marketing plan in a much more profound way than it was in 2003.

Yes I'm aware but my point is what makes you think LOTR would have been one of the huge midnight franchises today? Oh yeah it could break the mid records back in the day when there was little midnight competition, but why would it have been a midnight record breaker today? It's midnight admissions certainly don't indicate that,

Well, with the horrible shooting today at an Elementary school, we might expect the weekend to drop a little. WTF is wrong with people these days...

While I will say that was VERY VERY SAD, I don't think it will effect The Hobbit as much as you may think. Aurora had an effect because it was at a movie theater. An elementary school is a different place.

Do I really have to explain this to you?

ROTK did 8 mill at midnights in 2003 when the biggest midnight before that was what...3 mill? It did 8 mill at a time when midnights hardly existed. When that number came out, people were shocked.

Now 9 years later when midnights for loonie based franchises are at an all time high, it does 13 mill. That's hardly fantastic. It is supposed to be the biggest movie event since Jesus was a baby and yet you guys are calling 13 mill fantastic?

Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Posted Image

Also, ROTK sold 1.3 million tickets at midnight, while The Hobbit sold 1.6 million.

While that is a jump, we do need to consider that in 2003, midnight showings were non-existent. But even then, ROTK had the backing of two critically acclaimed successes before it that both cracked $300 million, and opening on a Wednesday, a period that was supposed to be particularly quiet.. The Hobbit had LOTR to ride on, but then again we had the HFR and splitting-one-goddamn-book-into-three-movies debates. So you can basically look at this from different perspectives.

But that still dosen't make up for the fact The Hobbit sold more tickets than ROTK. In other words, more people saw The Hobbit than ROTK. So yeah, haters gonna hate,

Edited by Alpha The Foxbot

Do I really have to explain this to you?ROTK did 8 mill at midnights in 2003 when the biggest midnight before that was what...3 mill? It did 8 mill at a time when midnights hardly existed. When that number came out, people were shocked.Now 9 years later when midnights for loonie based franchises are at an all time high, it does 13 mill. That's hardly fantastic. It is supposed to be the biggest movie event since Jesus was a baby and yet you guys are calling 13 mill fantastic?Sorry, but that's just wrong.

The man's not wrong here.

And yet we still before yesterday never had a December film do close to what the Hobbit did. There is no statistical trend showing vast increases for December midnights, no matter the film.

While I will say that was VERY VERY SAD, I don't think it will effect The Hobbit as much as you may think. Aurora had an effect because it was at a movie theater. An elementary school is a different place.

Somehow, it does... Well, If I was to live in the US, after Aurora (even though months passed) I would be relaxed, knowing that something like that has little odds of happening again.But as you can see... it didn't stop, and people start to fear that the chances of it happening are so slim anymore... I mean Aurora, then the guy who tried the shooting at Twilight and now this... It's obvious that you can't stay relaxed since these events appear more and more...This shooting is just a reminder to Aurora, and that will keep some people home...