filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (12/17)

I do not understand this doom and gloom over the Monday number. The drop was in line with the first Monday of pretty much every film this year that opened during school/work time. Take a look for yourself. Why not wait until the second weekend before completely writing it off?

• Like 2

I wouldn't. But I still think it will.

Well yes I know it is possible so I can't discount it completely, but still. I wasn't on the $400m or over crowd, but I thought $300 should have been semi-easy for this at the beginning

This upcoming weekend in general will be slow. Lots of traveling and Christmas shopping. I don't expect any of the openers to break high teens.

I expect an OK ish opening for Jack Reacher and good legs. This is 40 and The Guilt Trip scream, "BOMB!"

Its next Tuesday I'm anticipating. Both Les Mis and Django are tracking high.

I do not understand this doom and gloom over the Monday number. The drop was in line with the first Monday of pretty much every film this year that opened during school/work time. Take a look for yourself. Why not wait until the second weekend before completely writing it off?

Wait? Did you actually write that? Edited by DAR

The Monday number is actually quite good..... if you compare it with IAL, sure TH1's will seem 2% bigger..... but you are not accounting for Tuesday bumps. Where does the extra dollars on Tuesday come from? It is mostly those people who otherwise could have gone on Monday/Wednesday.If TH1 had to follow IAL exactly, it would make 8.0m/7.0m/6.5m on Mon-Wed. But now TH1 will do at least 7.7m/7.8m/6.0m. Similar (or higher) gross, but through a different route.

The HOBBITS will have to rely on International market to get to $1B++

Can it do $800-$850 million ala PIRATES 4?

I don't think it will do 800, but 700 seems pretty fair.

Somehow The Hobbit with 3D and all won't match Skyfall or TDKR? I won't say terrible but a little disappointing. This will overshadow some people's "disappointing TDKR domestic gross".

The HOBBITS will have to rely on International market to get to $1B++

Can it do $800-$850 million ala PIRATES 4?

It depends mainly on big expanding markets like China and Russia. Russia opens tomorrow, but we have to wait until February (at least) to see China numbers. Anyway, with the initial data and before knowing the second weekend hold, I do not think it can reach 800, sadly :(. I agree with Baumer. 700 is a good objective.