Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

There was something wrong with the marketing for The Hobbit, in my opinion. I think because of the success of LOTR they didn't really think they had to oversell this thing. It was very lackluster with little attempt to find a new audience. It held zero interest for me and that's coming from someone who obsessively watched all the LOTR films in theatres and even watched the extended DVDs of the 3 films in one day. The only thing that made me remotely interested is the fact that I found Lee Pace sexy in BD 2 and I wanted to see more of him and that's it. Perhaps I'm not the best judge though because some movies that I think are advertised awfully do go on to do well. Also, I wouldn't quite count out The Hobbit yet because movies opening in December do tend to have longer legs than normal so who knows. Maybe it will pick up.

Well, in defense of Ross...HE didn't decide to put $250M into that film. He just had to sell it (which he did a poor job of though).That being said...it's not $250M. It's $300M. Ha.

So around Avengers budget..Just with a slightly different result :P

And funny if u read Nikkis blurb tonight youd think The Hobbit is killing it WW. Its really strange and im not sure what shes getting out of it. I think everything went wrong with the Hobbit First the marketing was terrible in my opinion..... starting with the first trailer to the second trailer and to the posters that just showed a bunch of dwarves looking drunk and fat and stupid. To the film itself it was boring. And this BS that you have with the cinema score being an A...so misleading. Not just Skyfall but BD2 could outgross it also.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

Still, it is doing pretty well when you don't think about the LotR trilogy, but that was stuff of legend. So honestly it shouldn't be taken as something degrading for Hobbit not doing as well.

you kinda have to on here. if not for LotR trilogy, people won't see as a shock the possibility of Skyfall beating TH.
  • Like 1