Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

What should have he done? Cancel 48fps and say "sorry, it was a mistake"? Be real.Someone believing in something is not ego. And they have already invested in it, they might as well show it. It's only in rather few theaters anyway.

Critics hated it and that showed in their reviews. Edited by druv10

What should have he done? Cancel 48fps and say "sorry, it was a mistake"? Be real.

Don't show it to critics. They knew back in April that the critics and bloggers had a very negative reaction to 10 minutes of preview footage in 48 fps. So show them only the 24 fps versions of the film (2D/regular 3D).
  • Like 1

I agree about it being disappointing but that's bullshit. It would not have done better had it been 2 movies.

If it had been two movies, I think it would have been less stretched out and more focused, in which case people would have liked it more, in which case it would have had better legs and WOM.

I agree about it being disappointing but that's bullshit. It would not have done better had it been 2 movies.

He would have had to compress the story, thus have less of a meandering pace that most people seem to be complaining about. I haven't seen it but that's by far the biggest bone of contention. Edited by Hatebox

One Hobbit movie would have sucked.

I would have thought a 3 hour theatrical and 4 hour extended Hobbit movie would have been about right. IMO the plot of AUJ is stretched way too thin. Like butter spread over too much bread. Or something. Edited by yads

There shouldn't have been any bridge films. There's just enough in the story for two films, 120-150 minutes each, the first one ending somewhere during the giant-spiders section, the second one being primarily about Smaug, that town that he attacks, and the battle of the five armies. Oh, and no Necromant stuff as well as Holm/Wood/Blanchett/Lee fan service. All directed by Guillermo Del Toro... I absolutely love and admire LOTR to its very last bits, but when Jackson tried to recreate that magic while dealing with a story that demanded a much different approach, that's where he made the most serious mistake he could have made.

What should have he done? Cancel 48fps and say "sorry, it was a mistake"? Be real.Someone believing in something is not ego. And they have already invested in it, they might as well show it. It's only in rather few theaters anyway.

Yes. He should have cancel 48fps and do it properly with the next one. Also making one good film instead of spending three years of shooting, just because he loves to spend time in NZ would have helped. It's absolutely ridiculous The Hobbit is shorter than any LOTR book, but it gets three films. He should have done 6 LOTR films instead.

Agreed.

He won't. As he shouldn't. Some people, you know, like it.

Multiquote is your friend.