Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

Since friday increases were soft across the board I believe 12/21 played a big factor. I am sure saturday increases would be much better than 2007.Hobbit would still have a disappointing 2nd weekend. But good run over next 2 weeks will get it close to 300M. At this point its looking remote for sure. But let us look after its next weekend(it could potentially increase) before ruling it out.

And months ago people called me crazy for saying the Hobbit wouldn't reach 400M. "It is locked" they all said. Who's crazy now? :P

Ill go u one better. When I said it wouldnt hit 300 people wanted me committed to an insane asylum.
  • Like 1

As one of the Bat loonies on the board, I'd like to go ahead and officially pass the crown of "biggest 2012 disappointment" from TDKR to Hobbit. Sub-300 for Hobbit and 65% on RT is a gigantic letdown.

Only those clueless souls would call The Dark Knight Rises' box-office even remotely disappointing. No such thing as a $448M domestic grossing disappointment. Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

Only those clueless souls would call The Dark Knight Rises' box-office even remotely disappointing. No such thing as a $448M domestic grossing disappointment.

I agree. I predicted 425 and that was before Aurora stole 20-30 from its total. I think 448 is a damn good total when everything is taken into consideration. And it beat BB's score on RT.

It's all about expectations

And that's the problem. Expectations on here got really out of control for that particular film. In Hobbit's case, I don't even think it's an expectations issue. 11 years of inflation, IMAX ticket prices, 3D ticket prices and it won't even hit 300, never mind reaching FOTR's unadjusted gross. That's just straight up embarrassing, especially since LOTR supposedly has the second biggest fanbase next to Star Wars. I guess that theory is going down the tubes now.

As one of the Bat loonies on the board, I'd like to go ahead and officially pass the crown of "biggest 2012 disappointment" from TDKR to Hobbit. Sub-300 for Hobbit and 65% on RT is a gigantic letdown.

TDKR was never a disappointment to begin with. It made 448M/1.08B WW. Hobbit on the other hand is winning the crown easily.
  • Like 5

That's just straight up embarrassing, especially since LOTR supposedly has the second biggest fanbase next to Star Wars.

I never understood people who said this. This isn't Potter or Star Wars we're talking about. The reason LOTR movies made so much money is because they were actually GOOD.