CJohn

Monday Numbers | The Hobbit - 6.95M | Django Unchained - 5.2M

Um, 'best' is subjective so this argument is just going to go in circles. This was a terrific year for auteurs, though. Speilberg, PTA, Carax, Lee, Bigelow, Affleck, Tarantino, and Anderson all produced career highlights.

• Like 2

cameron is the best hollywood filmmaker ever. spielberg and then daylight, nolan are after box office wisecameron made epics titanic,avatar, aliens, terminator 2, terminator, true lies. these films revenues and dvd sales total up in the multibillions inflation adjusted .camerons best film to date remains aliens and then closely followed by t2

No, Kubrick and Hitchcock are higher but he's in conversation for top 5. They were pioneers and deserved the accolades they get. Edited by druv10

Cameron is good, but not the best. He's like a coach who won two Championships with two undefeated seasons. Spielberg won 6 with 6 different teams. Cameron did it with a money spending team, fair enough he did it like no one else, but Spielberg did it with lower budget as well with different approach.

• Like 3

Um, 'best' is subjective so this argument is just going to go in circles.This was a terrific year for auteurs, though. Speilberg, PTA, Carax, Lee, Bigelow, Affleck, Tarantino, and Anderson all produced career highlights.

I definitely disagree with that. For a very select few auteurs they hit a very tremendous high that masked up the so-so work of other auteurs.

There really is no way to determine who the best director is. It's different for everyone. Someone could tell you that Wes Craven is the best director of all time and they wouldn't be any more wrong than someone who says that Francois Truffaut is. Everyone has different tastes so if someone tells you that they think Cameron is the best of all time, then they are correct. Just as someone is for saying Spielberg is. There are absolute incompetents like Uwe Boll, but when you are talking about directors like Spielberg and Cameron and Hitchcock and Wilder and Huston and Eastwood and all the rest, it's all a matter of opinion.

• Like 6

Spielberg was the best Hollywood blockbuster filmaker for 2 decades. Cameron claimed the throne in 1991 and took the crown in 1998. He is now the best Hollywood blockbuster filmaker.

I personally feel Spielberg is the best of all time, and imo it's not even close. But I respect anyone else's opinion on who they think is the best. Having said that Cameron is in my top 3 of all time as well.
  • Like 1

Spielberg was a golden boy since 1975 and during the eighties but he kinda lost his magic touch since Hook, it's hit or miss. Cameron has always been on an ascending climbing till Titanic's triumph since his first movie. Avatar's ginormous success just finally proved it: He's now Hollywood Golden Boy and got the magic thunder that was once associated to Spielberg.His only miss, Abyss in 1989, is considered one of his best movies so his low point is better than Spielberg's lows, IMO. Since 1991, he ruled the BO as the best Hollywood blockbusters director of the decade. Peter Jackson and Michael Bay dream of being James Cameron. A director that can do epic scale story with plenty of spectacular action sets and a sense of awe that centered around strong and relatable characters that appeal and resonate deeply to an universal audience without resorting to childish corniness.

Edited by dashrendar44

Even is you just go by box office and ignore everything else associated with box office I don't see how Cameron's career is equal to Speilberg's. Taking Speilberg's first nine films against Cameron's according to BOM he has Jaws/ Raiders/ ET/ Temple of Doom/ Color Purple.That's already more than Cameron's only nine films adjusted domestically (~3.5 to ~ 2.9), though probably less worldwide.So if you you consider that roughly equal then to think that Cameron has a better career box office wise then you would have to think that the rest of Speilberg's career is a net negative, and that includes Jurassic Park 1 & 2/ Last Crusade/ Saving Private Ryan/ War of the Worlds/ Lincoln etc. which clearly isn't true.Grossing so much over such a length of time with so many types of different movies makes Speilberg's career more impressive not less

• Like 2

Grossing so much over such a length of time with so many types of different movies makes Speilberg's career more impressive not less

I'm not saying Spielberg's career is "less impressive", I'm saying Spielberg's movies are not striking consistent Home Runs each time like in the eighties since JP in 1993. (I'm talking about "blockbusters" solely so Lincoln, Munich, War Horse are not considered to be blockbusters even if it proves Spielberg's versatility, that's not my point. Lost World, Amistad, Terminal, AI, Indy 4 are not considered high points in his post-JP career). Cameron is now the wizard who cracked the code, WW. Edited by dashrendar44

I personally feel Spielberg is the best of all time, and imo it's not even close. But I respect anyone else's opinion on who they think is the best. Having said that Cameron is in my top 3 of all time as well.

I completely agree. Spielberg is the best ever. Nobody is even close.
  • Like 1

Spielberg gave me Jurassic Park while Cameron gave me Titanic. Two iconic movies of my childhood that I will always fondly remember

Those child actors make me appreciate Leo`s success even more. What a career for a child actor from a sitcom.

True and well any Hollywood child/.teen actor who grows up without a DUI arrest or drug issue or any scandal deserves praise (and their parents/guardians as well)
  • Like 1