The Descendants

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Descendants

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of the best movies I've seen all year. It has such a simple, specific premise that illustrates grand ideas about these characters in an observed, authentic way. Clooney's at the top of his game, but the whole cast is pretty great. Funny that Jim Rash (or Dean Pelton in Community) co-wrote this.

Wow, this really is a great movie. Everyone was great. I loved Scottie the most. -mother in coma- Hey mom, look who's here!George Clooney was really awesome especially when he goes to see Speer at the cottage and at the end. Sid was hilarious.I'd be okay with this winning Best Picture and Actor and Supporting Actress (though that's never gonna happen).

Edited by Travod

Easily of the most touching, heartfelt, and hilarious films of the past few years. George Clooney is mesmerizing throughout the entire film, managing to hit subtle nuances with perfection. But the film soars not just because of him, but moreso because of the rest of the cast, which is amazing. Payne takes a very simple and widely known matter into a surprisingly unique and poignant film. Whether you're married or a teenager faced with the realities of becoming an adult, I'll be damned if there is not at least one scene you won't deeply relate to.

A+

P.S: The "twat" scene had me in tears. Actually, the little girl stole every scene she's in.

Edited by Noctis

I thought this was pretty good. Clooney was great- he's looking old and tired in this film and that's not a bad thing. I still have trouble seeing a character other than George Clooney in his films but he was pretty convincing here. The rest of the cast also put in a solid effort and rounded out the film. The little girl, Scottie, was hysterical. The movie did a good job of blending some laugh out loud humor into a terribly depressing situation. The movie connected with the audience in a big way, I heard people crying all around me. But it didn't quite impact me in that way- not the way 50/50 did earlier this year. It was solid and I enjoyed it but I'm not as enthusiastic as everyone else. I didn't quite see the point of having the sub-plot about selling the land (despite this being where the pic gets its title); it seemed more like something on the side that wasn't totally necessary to move the main story forward.

B+

Just a few days ago I said I didn't think any film could match 50/50's masterful control of both comedy and drama, but The Descendants comes pretty damn close. The characters are all pretty screwed up but somehow Payne finds a way for all of them to earn the audience's sympathy. And I know people like to praise George Clooney for every role he takes on, but I genuinely feel this is the best performance he's given in his career. The supporting cast are certainly no slouches either; especially Shailene Woodley as his teenage daughter.

A

None of the comedy worked for me at allll. Well, I got maybe a laugh or two out of the Sid character because he totally reminded me of a dumbass I used to know. Aside from that it all kinda fell flat for me.The dramatic side of it all was really well handled though, got pretty emotional some of the time. The people in the little roles like Judy Greer, Robert Forster and Matthew Lillard felt like the unsung heroes of the movie. All amazing with such little screentime.

A good film, and one that I enjoyed. But I do not think this is the best film of the year and it is certainly not the best directed film of he year. But it may have the best supporting actress of the year.7/10

• Founder / Operator

Loved it. I wouldn't rank it in my top five or anything, but I'd certainly give it another go. One of my favorite Clooney roles ever, and Woodley is a star in the making. Excellent script. It won't happen, but I wouldn't complain if this won Best Picture.

Watched this a second time tonight; 95% full theater, too! Excellent crowd atmosphere, and the movie was very enjoyable during a second viewing. It's certainly deserving of all the award love.

And with regards to Vanilla's post, I couldn't agree more. Melissa McCarthy was hilarious in Bridesmaids, but Shailene Woodley was 10 times more deserving of a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination this year.

Watched this for a second time, with a full crowd. Needless to say, it still holds up marvelously well and the crowd reaction was fantastic. Huge laughs and there were quite a few people crying near the end.

I really wish this would win Best Picture, even though I know it's not going to happen.