Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

The premier was great. I loved the establishing shots using the red comet to transition between scenes. The cinematography was beautiful and far superior to the first season, it had an even more epic feel. Grey Wind and Summer looked great, especially with a TV budget. Cute little baby Drogon, OMG - I want a baby dragon!The story was very condensed and fast paced, jumping from scene to scene, but I guess they didn't have much choice, the episode was shorter than normal to accommodate the last season run down and there's so much to cover. 10 episodes just isn't enough. The scene in the brothel didn't annoy me that much, at least it was mercifully brief before they got to the baby murdering. I thought the acting was great, with the exception of Richard Madden (Rob) and Aiden Gillen (Littlefinger). What was with his accent?Can't wait till next week for the Arya and Gendry storyline!

I am posting this from a perspective of a book fan (since 1999) so my view may be a bit skewed in favor of purism. Anyway, here are my thoughts of the first episode.POSITIVES:Though not shown in the book, the scene with the murders of the bastards was very effectively done. This is an example of a scene that couldn't have been shown in the book, absent a POV to witness it, but was wisely included in a show not limited by the POV perspective of the books.Melisandre was perfect. Loved the accent; sounded vaguely European, but I suspect it is one that was basically adapted just for the show.Davos made a good first impression.Though not in the book, that scolding from Mormont to Jon Snow was good; it replaces nicely a couple of book lessons, which were not shown.Tyrion, as always. And Joffrey as well, though I didn't like something they're doing with his character, which I'll discuss in a moment.The Robb and Jamie scene, except for the part where Jamie basically denies pushing Bran out of the window. He's already admitted to Catelyn that he did so, didn't he? So what purpose in denying to Robb? Is this a script error, where they forgot last season already? Or is there some motive aside from that?NOT SO MUCH;The Littlefinger scene. He is not that stupid, and throughout the books, he is obsequious to any person above him in power, excepting Ned, and in any event, it just didn't make sense that he would do that at that time.Craster. Somehow I expected a larger hall; and also a more savage, barbaric Craster.Joffrey warning his mother that he could have her life for slapping him. First, Cersei would have unlikely to lose her composure like that, and moreover, in the books, her little demon could do no wrong. Second, it appears that the show is making Joffrey the guy in charge. In the books, he wasn't. In this point in time, both Joffrey AND Cersei may harbor their delusions, but the TRUE power of their faction is Tywin Lannister. Also, in the show, and i can't specifically give examples...he just seems a bit more competent than he should be. He's sort of like a more malevolent Octavian from Rome. Whereas in the book, he was equally vicious as he is in the show, but also congenitally stupid. He's every bit Viserys' equal in stupidity combined by megalomania.As usual, I could do without Roz.In the book, the Tyrion-Cersei reunion scene was even more intense than it was in the show, featuring a few slaps from Cersei to Tyrion. Wish it could have shown that.ON THE FENCE:Slynt appears a bit cannier in the show, than in the books. To be fair, the books imply that Slynt has good leadership skills, but every time he is shown, he is an absolute blustering buffoon.Stannis. It's odd- in the books we are told time and time again, how he has no charisma and is so dislikable. Yet Martin, probably accidentally, makes him one of the coolest badasses in the series, with a hilarious smart ass sense of humor occasionally showing, to boot. Here, he's definitely more as other characters in the book describe him, unlikable and uncharismatic.The scene with Dany and Rakharo at the end suggested a potential romance. That's already there with Mormont, if one-sided, no need to double it and create a plot line where not needed. However, if it is just a platonic deal, to show his loyalty and her appreciate of it, then it was well-done.Overall, I'd give this a 10/10 if I had never read the books, but, of course, I'm spoiled by the books, so I can always say something should have better or different. The best news is that future episodes in this season should get better and better as events progress, so there's plenty of reason to get excited.

I think the Dany-Rakharro bit was just to show how she has his full respect and trust now as her bloodrider.Then again, they could have it simmer over time and have Rakharro step in for Daario in later seasons. I would actually support this, because Daario is a freaking lameass of a character.

Just seen episode 2. It's availble in places...if you're interested.

There will be a lot to discuss when it airs.

Damn, very tempting. Is it the viewing good quality?

EDIT: I couldn't resist and watched it.

It's good, a lot tighter in focus than the premiere by narrowing down the storylines presented. A couple scenes of "eh" quality but some great stuff included as well. The last couple scenes confirm what the books have strongly hinted at but never came out and said.

Edited by 4815162342

Just watched episode 2. Though the copy didn't have any subtitles during the Dothraki scene which was annoying.Aside from that it was much better than the first. A couple really awesome Tyrion scenes in this one. Also I must say I'm not entirely interested in what's going on with this new fellow Stannis and his witch bitch so far.

I am not watching Episode 2 heh. I will wait until Sunday. I loved the premier, and there was no way around the jumping around. They had to set up each faction and the various storylines for the rest of the season. I disagree about Stannis, I really liked his character portrayal so far. Really his badass stuff comes much later, so we shouldn't see that yet. Dillane did a great job, and I like Melissandre as well. She was really creepy after the poisoning scene.

Pretty WTF ending for episode 2, I wonder what that was. I'm kind of sad that we'll have to wait 2 weeks for episode 3 now.

Have you read the books? Those who have read the books (through Book 3) will know exactly what happened, so I imagine Episode 3 will fill non-readers in a bit more.I'll watch Episode 2 again next Sunday so I can get it on my Hi-Def TV in full glory.

The ratings were really good, not as high as I was hoping but still significantly higher than anything in season 1. Apparently, 6.3m watched the premier that night over the 3 showings. The number HBO really cares about are the total viewers over the week on all platforms, that's the important number.By the way Game of Thrones just won a Peabody, which is huge!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/peabody-awards_n_1402661.html

Please don't discuss episode 2, scenes, or the ending until it actually airs.

Technically, it has aired. HBO released Episode 2 on HBO Go in a handful of European countries on Monday, which is how the episode found its way online. HBO is apparently going to continue doing this with subsequent episodes, so a big lot of Europeans will able to see those episodes days before the rest of the world (not counting online views).So, thanks to HBO the episode has aired.