Shawn Robbins

Weekend Numbers (OZ: 80 mill)

No.

What did you guys expect it to make?  I didn't think and I don't think the studios thought this was going to be another Alice.  You can't just take one film and compare it to Oz and think that it should have made what that film made.  This should do a minimum of 500 million WW.  This is the first film, people are discovering it and if they like it, then they will come back for more the second time around.  I see this as nothing but a success.

it is a domestic success but international numbers are kind of weak. 

No.

What did you guys expect it to make?  I didn't think and I don't think the studios thought this was going to be another Alice.  You can't just take one film and compare it to Oz and think that it should have made what that film made.  This should do a minimum of 500 million WW.  This is the first film, people are discovering it and if they like it, then they will come back for more the second time around.  I see this as nothing but a success.

Well, they won't make much of any money at $500M, so they probably expected more.  But you're right, they also didn't expect Alice.  I'd guess they probably wanted $700Mish worldwide.

I think another thing regarding an OZ sequel is whether Disney would want to spend another three years making a movie that in the end might only turn a small profit (or even make a loss). Just doesn't seem worth the time or the risk.

But most films don't turn a profit at the theater.  The theater is like the trailer for HV.  It's one giant expensive trailer.  Spiderman 3 and POTC 3 both ran over 400 mill when you add in marketing.  And Laura Ziskin is on record as saying that the budget for Sp3 was greenlit not because of what it would make at the theater, but what it would make them overall.  If this makes 500 mill WW, then it will do ell enough on HV WW and on TV, WW, to make oodles of money for the studio.

The number a film makes from TV is about 12.5%.  So if this makes 250 mill, 12.5% of that is about 30 mill.  That's what it will cost a TV network to buy the rights for the movie, in North America.  So if it makes about 250 mill elsewhere, add another 30 mill internationally as well.  That's just TV.  IMO, this will easily turn a profit by the time it hits DVD/BR

• Like 1

Does that intl' number confirm that 3D is not the draw it use to be?

No.Just look at all those 3D re-releases flopping OS.It depends still on the movie. When it is right, the 3D still adds considerably (especially OS). From 4 movies with $700m+ OS last year only Skyfall was 2D. From the top 4 Domestic movies only TA was in 3D. We live in different worlds.

Huh? If you're talking about piracy then that's not a tangible detractor to its gross, at least not any more than any other film. No need to make excuses for SLP's run, it performed very well.

For a movie that doesn't really  need a big screen to be fully appreciated, I would argue SLP lost tickets sales because of the Oscar screener that leaked in late December.

I am sure a couple of millions of people have seen SLP without getting their asses into a theater.

Tumblr is full of SLP gifs for the last two months.

SLP performed more than very well, it was an exceptional run on all accounts.

Edited by The Futurist

For a movie that doesn't really  need a big screen to be fully appreciated, I would argue SLP lost tickets sales because of the Oscar screener that leaked in late December.

I am sure a couple of millions of people have seen SLP without getting their asses into a theater.

Tumblr is full of SLP gifs for the last two months.

SLP performed more than very well, it was an exceptional run on all accounts.

I don't think it would've made that much more without screener leaks. If they downloaded the screener they probably weren't gonna go see the movie in theatres in the first place. 

• Founder / Operator

My biggest issue with films "losing ticket sales" to piracy is the flawed assumption that all of those people downloading would have automatically gone to the theater had it not been available to illegally download. It's just as easy to assume that none of them would and were taking advantage of a situation rather than searching for an alternative. How do we know they wouldn't have waited for Redbox/Netflix/On-Demand?

It's just a lot of guesswork.

• Like 8

I don't think it would've made that much more without screener leaks. If they downloaded the screener they probably weren't gonna go see the movie in theatres in the first place. 

Besides, don't basically all the movies with Academy screeners get leaked?  I mean, if you want to pirate a movie in the theaters...you probably can in some form. 

Dunno, never did I think SLP would hit $120M, let alone anything higher so it's hard for me to sit here and think it lost so many sales anymore than any other film considering it blew my expectations out of the water.

Yes, great point Shawn.  I can, if I choose to, download movies.  And I do at times.  But I still go to the theater.  I know a ton of people who download movies, but they never really went before.  That's a fantastic point you bring up.

• Like 1

Besides, don't basically all the movies with Academy screeners get leaked?  I mean, if you want to pirate a movie in the theaters...you probably can in some form. 

Yes. But, they're getting better at protecting them now. Especially Universal and Weinstein. They wartermark the shit out of their screeners. Their movies didn't leak until early January for the most part, and The Master took even longer to leak. 

What's the difference, as you define it?kowhite knows his shit about this stuff.

A spin off uses a same chacter from a previous movie.A knock of has different chacters and story using a similar concept and execution.He may be knowledgable but that doesn't make him omniscient.

My biggest issue with films "losing ticket sales" to piracy is the flawed assumption that all of those people downloading would have automatically gone to the theater had it not been available to illegally download. It's just as easy to assume that none of them would and were taking advantage of a situation rather than searching for an alternative. How do we know they wouldn't have waited for Redbox/Netflix/On-Demand?

It's just a lot of guesswork.

I agree. That is true in every country. Except here.

My biggest issue with films "losing ticket sales" to piracy is the flawed assumption that all of those people downloading would have automatically gone to the theater had it not been available to illegally download. It's just as easy to assume that none of them would and were taking advantage of a situation rather than searching for an alternative. How do we know they wouldn't have waited for Redbox/Netflix/On-Demand?It's just a lot of guesswork.

Excellent logic. I doubt even 10% of those would go to theaters.... a major reason behind illegal downloading is that most of them can't afford to see all those movies in theaters.

Excellent logic. I doubt even 10% of those would go to theaters.... a major reason behind illegal downloading is that most of them can't afford to see all those movies in theaters.

That's why I'm downloading (and because some Oscar contenders still didn't come out here, but came out on DVD, or at all), but if there are movies like Oz, Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Hobbit, I do my best to go to the theater and watch them. If I had a car I would go every week, but this way I'm going once every month or two... maybe less than that.