Lordmandeep

Does One's Political Viewpoints Shape How he Interprets/Likes a Film?

I head some of my friends talking about an article talking about films that are Conservative minded or liberal minded and found it a bit silly.

However I then remember the whole mess over Zero Dark Thirty and how people either saw it as a film that was critical of the whole war on terror while others saw it as a victory lap celebrating the achievment in killing in Bin Laden.

My Questions are:

1. Are there are films where there is such a divergence of opinions based on your political viewpoints? 

2. Do people who think in a certain manner or have a certain way of looking towards life really like or prefer certain films or certain kinds of films.

I remember some Conservative talk show host saying TDK is a great celebration of Consvervative values... lol He was saying how it about not backing down and giving into terrorists and that all must be done too keep stability and order.

I don't know if this is the same thing. But for me personally, there are movies I won't see due to my own political beliefs. For example I do not like the actor Sean Penn due to his politics and the stuff he's done (ie being buddy buddy with Hugo Chavez and Castro), so I won't see his movies. 

• Community Manager

I believe I'm considered a conservative by mainstream politics (although I see myself more as an Ordoliberal) so...liberal movies can bother me but only when they try to push their message too hard. I don't mind the occasional joke or a subtle political message...but I don't want to feel like a movie is trying to convince me to change my mind or celebrating a political message-this includes conservative movies, Christian movies, and liberal movies.

Here is some movies I think you would like more if you have certain views..

One clear example is the The Pursuit of Happyness as that film is all about self responsability  and rejecting giving up one self and become depedent on govt.

Another divisive movie was The Blind Side... It was a heart warming movie but people who think racism is still a major issue think the film whitewashes everything.

I try to keep politics out of my taste in film. I think that unconsciously there may be links between my taste (artsy, liberal, no-one's-ever-heard-of-them films) and my political views (Fiscal ultra-Conservative, Social Liberal[i'd consider myself pretty socially liberal) 

I can't think of a film that annoyed me because of its political viewpoint. Older films that have some values dissonance I just take as being of the time.Maybe if a film was explicitly socially backwards.

Edited by lab276

It has to be pretty blatant to bother me, and at that point I might even agree with the political point and still be annoyed at how it was presented. (Case in point: MILLION DOLLAR BABY).In terms of talent, no, it doesn't really bother me. I'm about as opposite Jon Voigt's views as possible, and usually I enjoy his movies. I suppose the exception might be here I find a viewpoint so distasteful and appalling I can't put it aside. Orson Scott Card comes to mind -- I don't feel like reading more of his books at this point.

That is a good example, I go out of way to not watch Sean Penn films as he is such a douche not only because of his political views.

I meant is there films you like more because you think a certain way.

For example recent example of Zero Dark Thirty...

I don't know if it was released theatrically in the US but An American Carol (My Big Fat Important Movie overseas) was the film that made me lose all respect for David Zucker. It plays like a spoof, and the first five minutes are actually funny, but as it goes on its right-wing, anti-democrat agenda becomes so tiresome it sinks the film down to Fox News stupidity. No longer a comedy, just insufferable propaganda. To think that Leslie Nielsen was in it makes me weep.

I think it does more in a subtle way...

We don't goo okay I am a liberal this movie is too conservative...

What happens is we watch a movie and see the messages or themes and based on how we think we really idenify with those themes and messages. Usually if you like a film its due to the story and characters but is also involves the message or theme of the movie.

For example : The Pursuit of Happyness was a very well liked movie and its not only because Will Smith Acted well.. It was the story the message the story was trying to send about in the end life is up to your desire and choices. I agreed with the message a lot and really liked the movie more.

Well even major blockbuster Movies do have political viewpoints or messages.

Revenge of the Sith was clearly attacking George Bush and his call to war. Come on we all say the imagery with the Emperor, I did when I was 15 watching the film.

TDK clearly was saying against evil and darkness almost anything must be done done to stop evil and keep order.  

Remember the whole thing about the jungle... Some people like to just see the world burn, you have to burn down the jungle and such.

Your political viewpoint does not really shape the whole opinion of the film but if you have certain viewpoints you are more likely to have felt and liked certain message/themes, thus liking the film even more.

For example: I really like TDK not only for the characters but for the very deep themes.

Edited by Lordmandeep

For me, I mostly only have problem with politics in film depending on how its handled, regardless whether or not I oppose the politics in the film. Avatar for an example, was way over the top for me. The politics in that movie hit the audience over the head with a sledgehammer because of its simplicity and hilariously cheesy dialogue.  It was straight up lip service for hardcore environmentalists. There were also way too obvious parallels to the Iraq war. But nothing beats Quaritch's terrorist speech to his men, which was seriously some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen put on film.(Hey guys! dem blue space africans are turrurists and pre-emptive attack is always turrurism!  so lets go kill this civilization so I can get back to base and get some steak in my belly!)

I remember some Conservative talk show host saying TDK is a great celebration of Consvervative values... lol He was saying how it about not backing down and giving into terrorists and that all must be done too keep stability and order.

The Dark Knight was great because it can be interpreted as both liberal or conservative depending on how you approach it. I've seen some really great conversations about it.

• Like 1

For me, I mostly only have problem with politics in film depending on how its handled, regardless whether or not I oppose the politics in the film. Avatar for an example, was way over the top for me. The politics in that movie hit the audience over the head with a sledgehammer because of its simplicity and hilariously cheesy dialogue.  It was straight up lip service for hardcore environmentalists. There were also way too obvious parallels to the Iraq war. But nothing beats Quaritch's terrorist speech to his men, which was seriously some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen put on film.(Hey guys! dem blue space africans are turrurists and pre-emptive attack is always turrurism!  so lets go kill this civilization so I can get back to base and get some steak in my belly!)

The Dark Knight was great because it can be interpreted as both liberal or conservative depending on how you approach it. I've seen some really great conversations about it.

Well, AVATAR wasn't subtle at all, you're right; but the more obvious parallel was 17th/18th colonialism -- it was basically a direct lift of what the English/French/Spanish/Dutch/Portuguese did to their various colonies around the world. And Quaritch's speech made sense in the context of the deleted attack raid (which, IMO, should've been in the theatrical film).

• Like 2

I love how Avatar haters are sub-communicating they're conservative pro-colonialism pollutant's advocates. "I hate this movie, what is that?! No Mr Cameron, Killing innocent savage people to steal their lands and ressources is good!Greed is good!Polluting is good!".

Wow, if a lightweight entertainment flick like Avatar triggered such anger in you like it deeply hurt your political mindset at the core, I advise you to never watch an Eisenstein's movie. Your butt gonna burst into flames. Atlas Shrugged is for you.

Edited by dashrendar44

Obviously the colonialsim subtext of Avatar wasn't subtle, but I never got the impression it was the aspect of the movie Cameron cared that much about. Telling the story of Titanic seemed like a much greater labour of love for him; with Avatar the premise felt like more of a vehicle for the 3D technology.