Darth Homer

Favourite Crowdpleasing Movies/Scenes

To me, a well crafted crowdpleasing movie is a thing of beauty. So many movies try and get it wrong that when a crowdpleaser succeeds on every level I consider it a major artistic achievement (seriously). So what are the movies or scenes that make you want to stand up and cheer, or got an enthusiastic response from the audience you saw it with? Here's mine (WARNING - SPOILERS for people who've been living under a rock):

Jaws (1975) - when the shark finally blows up it's probably the most brilliant release of tension in movie history - aside from the end of the next film . . .

Star Wars (1977) - "Let's blow this thing and go home!" Nuff said

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - the cleverest thing about this movie is that Indy fails constantly throughout the story, yet you still root for him.

Superman II (1980) - this made me root for Supes more than any of the other movies, mainly because of how he becomes an underdog when his powers are taken away

E.T. (1982) - I think the film is slightly overrated, but those kids flying on their bicycles still gets me every time

Return of the Jedi (1983) - Vader throwing the Emperor down almost equals the Death Star being blown up for being a perfect "yeah!" moment

Ghostbusters (1984) - the way New Yorkers rally around the heroes at the end manages to be done in a non-cheesy way, unlike a certain webcrawler's movie . . .

The Karate Kid (1984) - crane kick. Never bettered

Back to the Future (1985) - just a perfect crowdpleaser. Even though the Reagan era message that being rich and successful is all that matters is a little dodgy

Aliens (1986) - "Get away from her, you bitch!"

The Untouchables (1987) - love when Kevin Costner throws that son of a bitch who whacked Sean Connery off a roof

Robocop (1987) - the best revenge movie ever and full of quotable dialogue

Die Hard (1988) - another near perfect action film, though I could do without the "Thank you, McClane, I can kill again!" ending

Batman (1989) - it's dated now, but when I first saw the scene where Batman terrorizes the muggers at the beginning I thought "Finally, someone's done the character right!"

Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) - the Saaf Afrikan villains are probably the most hissable bad guys in movie history

Arachnophobia (1990) - a rollercoaster ride of scares and laughs. Can't believe it wasn't a big hit

Terminator 2 (1991) - Cameron never topped this for crowdpleasing thrills

Jurassic Park (1993) - I still remember watching this with some kids who wouldn't stop talking during the first hour of the movie. Once the T-Rex escaped from its pen they were silent for the rest of the movie. The last genuinely awe-inspiring visual effects movie

True Romance (1993) - not exactly a blockbuster, but for me it's the most consistently entertaining film Tarantino has written

Forrest Gump (1994) - "Run, florist!"

ID4 (1996) - Bollocks, for sure, but it works and next to Michael Bay it looks like Kurosawa

Titanic (1997) - Our boy Cameron does it again!

FOTR (2001)- the ending of the Aragorn-Lurtz fight managed to get a cheer even in the small town where I watched the movie the first time.

AOTC (2002) - I still say this is the most crowdpleasing of the prequels. When Yoda whipped out his little green shaft, the whole audience jumped out of their seats and applauded

ROTK (2003) - still the most epic battle ever committed to film

The Incredibles (2004) - puts most live action superhero movies to shame

Star Trek (2009) - so fun it made Trekkies mad. Star Trek isn't supposed to be fun!

DHII - (2011) I give JK props for this as it would be hard to not make that epic conclusion crowdpleasing

The Avengers (2012) - just when you thought the old school crowdpleasing blockbuster was dead, Whedon brings it back! When I worked at a cinema I would walk in at the end every time just so I could see the audience reactions.

• Like 1

The last 30 minutes of Avatar, I mean, boy the level of crowdpleasing is astonishing. People cheering for Navis for defeating humans, and I mean Chinese people, who are usually considered as not easily expressing their feelings.

And this is also Darth Homer's list suggesting: there's a reason why these films are extremely successful, and that's they have to be really crowpleasing.

Edited by vc2002

Probably my favourite scene in Smith's entire filmography, as well as my favourite film of his. Randall is on absolutely top sarcastic form in every single scene of that movie. Edited by Schumacher FTW
  • Like 1

- The opening of ROTS when the camera following Anakin and Obi-Wan's starfighters plunges downwards and you see a mega-fucking epic space battle.

- When Gordon reveals he isn't dead in The Dark Knight. Biggest amount of cheers in the whole movie.

Biggest cheers for a film I have watched are.

TPM: Darth Maul is Killed

AOTC: Yoda goes Crazy

LOTR TT: When the Tree go nuts!!!

ROTS: Yoda Goes Crazy again!

Transformer 1: People never saw big robots fight before, they went beserk lol  

TDK: Gordon is Alive

TA: The Circle Shot of TA and Puny God!!!

Pretty much TA, Avatar, Inception and TDK and TF1 were the most crowdpleasing blockbusters recently.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Pretty much most of the scenes mentioned already. Avengers is definitely the most recent best example. Every time I saw it, the audience reacted the same during Hulk's "puny god" scene. I think that one may have stood out even more than the group shot for the crowds I saw it with. (Partly because the group shot was plastered all over the marketing so it lost a bit of its "zazz" when first seeing the movie.)

LOTR had several throughout the films. Someone mentioned FOTR already. Legolas' stunts always had big reactions. I don't think anything ever topped Eowyn killing the Witch King, though. Crowd went nutty over that scene every freaking time (especially women). Even I got a little sick of it after awhile. :lol:

And, of course, Yoda in AOTC. He got some got reactions in ROTS too, but I don't think any of them beat that midnight crowd experience of seeing Yoda wield a lightsaber for the very first time. Iconic.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

When I watched TA people were literally ROFL on the floor during Puny God...

During the scene where the avengers assemble, when they did people starting cheering especially as the scene has a great buildup and epic music and personaly my favourite part of the film.

LOTR had several throughout the films. Someone mentioned FOTR already. Legolas' stunts always had big reactions. I don't think anything ever topped Eowyn killing the Witch King, though. Crowd went nutty over that scene every freaking time (especially women). Even I got a little sick of it after awhile. :lol:

Urban legend. The character was so weak and barely there that it`s impossible for crowd to cheer for someone they have no reason to care for. Beside,s if the scene was so popular than why it isn`t iconic? Nobody spoofs it, nobody homages it, nobody talks about it unless it`s Shittobashing. It couldn`t even snag an MTV MA nomination. Epic fail in a not so long run.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Gandalf wrestling with the Balrog while they're falling in the opening scene of Two Towers. All 4 times I saw it, as soon as the camera suddenly starts following Gandalf down, people went nuts. Incredible and unrivaled memories at the theater that whole trilogy was. 

Edited by Shpongle