A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Just now, Eevin said:

Wow. This is much worse than I imagined. 

Could these reviews benefit Rogue One, Sing, or Assassin's Creed's box office? I know most people didn't expect $200m+ for this, but going from $150m-ish to possibly sub-$100m is a lot of unspent money. Could it go to the other 300-pound sci-fi/adventure elephant in the room, the big animated family blockbuster, or the wild card depending on reviews?

Most similar movie, sure. I can't imagine that anyone who was gearing up for a date movie Passengers or space adventure Passengers will switch for Assassin's Creed, for example. In case when people do make a switch it is for a movie that's most similar to what they wanted to see originally. For example, LOTR is sold out so next best thing is HP holdover. So I guess Rogue One would benefit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Nolan,Villeneuve...

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

James Cameron, Chris Nolan, George Miller, Steven SpielbergRidley Scott... 

I was talking about the actors and their popularity,money and power to choose where they will act e.t.c, not the director.

still think this film should be ok enough and the gross should be ok enough too.  But I love the circle of it's going to be great and get great reviews due to the cast, etc, etc, so can't wait for RT, then some hints it may be just ok, so it goes "well it will still have decent reviews so don't worry", then the bad reviews come out, "oh RT never mattered anyway" :P

it's not a shot at anyone in here, because it happens in almost all threads, just funny how RT is the end all be all until the reviews don't go in the fan's favor :P 

for the people that want to see it, go see it. :) Relax and let the people pointing out the bad reviews point them out.  No need to defend or deflect or feel bad, sometimes reviews come out bad for movies people want to see.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think people are underestimating Why Him?. It's the only comedy this holiday season, it's getting a pretty significant ad push, and the reviews are actually acceptable for this kind of movie. $80M+ isn't impossible.

Yeah, I could see that. But for me, I'm not too sure that Passengers failing will affect Why Him?. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I think it does have the potential to outgross Assassin's Creed and Passengers, and we saw last year that comedies are very capable of thriving under the massive shadow of Star Wars.

I'm expecting something like this now:

Dec 23: 30M (42M five-day, 20M weekdays, 62M Total)

Dec 30: 20M (5M weekdays, 87M Total)

Jan 6: 7M (1.7M weekdays, 95.7M Total)

Jan 13: 3.1M (900k weekdays, 99.7M Total)

Jan 20: 1.2M (500k weekdays, 101.4M Total)

Final Total: 104M (3.47x)

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Hmm...what will have a greater affect on the public eye? A Green Tomato from the internet or two of the prettiest people trapped in space? I'm beginning to suspect the members of this forum are comprised of RT critics that they place such importance on the RT score. RT score might not even be in the top 10 influential factors for this movie's success.

Once upon a time I used to believe that having three of the most unquestionably iconic superheroes in the world meet in a film would make that movie immune to reviews, and although that film did not become a legendary flop, its awful reviews certainly kept it from grossing to its full potential. People read their local newspapers and watch reviews capsules on their local TV news, and sometimes avoid films based on their being recommended.

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

A big issue in the reviews seems to be the misleading trailers. I read the plot a long time ago so obviously I knew about the "twist" (It's not really a twist because it's presented outright) but the trailers did their best to hide it. 

It's not that the misleading trailers  are an issue in the reviews  it's that it doesn't take the core premise/concept and handle it with any weight or substance so that the romance

Spoiler

is earned and not predatory and creepy as shit.   And they try to get around it by putting him in hero action mode.

The glaring problem was there all along in the script which always had me wondering every time someone called it great.  But then Collateral Beauty was a top Blacklist script and well....

Just now, Cochofles said:

Once upon a time I used to believe that having three of the most unquestionably iconic superheroes in the world meet in a film would make that movie immune to reviews, and although that film did not become a legendary flop, its awful reviews certainly kept it from grossing to its full potential. People read their local newspapers and watch reviews capsules on their local TV news, and sometimes avoid films based on their being recommended.

Which movie?

7 minutes ago, fracfar said:

It's important to remember that Daddy's Home (Will Ferrell and Marky Mark) got awful reviews:

tBljdsx.png

And still had $38mm OW, and $150mm DOM (3.88x)

While that is true, it's also very different from Passengers. Daddy's Home thrived because something needed to under The Force Awakens. We're already getting two $200m+ grossers in Rogue One and Sing, and I'd argue Passengers was dependent on differentiating itself from Rogue One. Now, it's a pretty terribly-reviewed sci-fi movie going up against a really, really big, well-reviewed sci-fi movie with the brand power of Star Wars. Unless WOM is unexpectedly great, this is not going to be pretty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not that the misleading trailers  are an issue in the reviews  it's that it doesn't take the core premise/concept and handle it with any weight or substance so that the romance

Hide contents

is earned and not predatory and creepy as shit.   And they try to get around it by putting him in hero action mode.

The glaring problem was there all along in the script which always had me wondering every time someone called it great.  But then Collateral Beauty was a top Blacklist script and well....

Yeah I always thought the plot was terrible tbh. I thought they would have changed it to make it less creepy but nope