A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

9 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:
  Hide contents

And yet EVERY SINGLE PERSON  here would have done the exact same thing that Pratt does.

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

NO.

Spoiler

He stalked then harvested a hot chick and STOLE HER FUCKING LIFE to make his better.  He didn't even choose someone who could help him on the ship or someone who's responsibility it was to help like the Captain or crew.

And this bullshit about how he saved her life because if she wasn't everyone including her would have died is just that bullshit.  If someone shoots me and puts me in the hospital he is not a hero and he did not save my life life because my house later burned down when I normally would have been it.

Everyone else in existence does not have the same shitty selfish weak morality. 

As said, that doesn't make the twist bad

Spoiler

what makes it bad is how it's treated and resolved like some minor social misstep plot point in a Rom Com

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

Passengers TGWTDT %
Wed 4,11 5,07 81,07
Thu 3,22 3,31 97,21
Fri 4,50 4,63 97,19
Sat 2,94 2,51 116,95
Sun 7,62 5,63 135,38
5 day 22,38 21,15 105,84
Mon 7,63 6,72 113,47
Tue 5,90 4,58 128,82
Wed 4,73 4,17 113,41
Thu 4,67 4,14 112,55

Gross to date 45,30 40,76 111,14
Legs (5 day) 2,02 1,93 105,00
Final gross* 114,81 102,5158 111,99
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Based on weekdays and Rth Fri #, I expect Passengers 10% more on the 4 day. Which is 21M = 67M gross. I believed it can reach 70M based on the Tuesday number. Still a decent lead before the ordinary days begin. TGWTDT made 42.5m more. Passengers only need ~33M to 100M (77.5%). I think it's happening. In worst case Sony needs to fudge the numbers a little like they did with Spectre last year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

NO.

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone else in existence does not have the same shitty selfish weak morality. 

As said, that doesn't make the twist bad

Reveal hidden contents

Far as I see, no one criticizes the existence of the "twist" but the way it's handled. 

Some people here argues that such plot point helps add "depth" to the movie (I side-eyed but sure, let's say it does). Then own up to it. Own up to the psychological/moral/ethics/whatever issue that you raised on your own, don't handwave and lazily brush it off in a distasteful way.

And I know this site is primarily male and all. But the lack of awareness and/or understanding of something standard and just basic decency, like consent, is worrisome. In fact, it's quite alarming. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Hide contents

what makes it bad is how it's treated and resolved like some minor social misstep plot point in a Rom Com

57 minutes ago, Sam said:
Spoiler

Some people here argues that such plot point helps add "depth" to the movie (I side-eyed but sure, let's say it does). Then own up to it. Own up to the psychological/moral/ethics/whatever issue that you raised on your own, don't handwave and lazily brush it off in a distasteful way.

I'm curious, how would you guys have liked for it to have been resolved?

Edited by amelin

Passengers TGWTDT %
Wed 4,11 5,07 81,07
Thu 3,22 3,31 97,21
Fri 4,50 4,63 97,19
Sat 2,94 2,51 116,95
Sun 7,62 5,63 135,38
5 day 22,38 21,15 105,84
Mon 7,63 6,72 113,47
Tue 5,90 4,58 128,82
Wed 4,73 4,17 113,41
Thu 4,67 4,14 112,55
Fri 5,65 5,33 105,92

Gross to date 50,95 46,09 110,53
Legs (5 day) 2,28 2,18 104,43
Final gross* 110,71 102,5158 108,00
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Updated with Friday estimates. Not as good as I hoped for. Still 5% over TGWTDT. Let's hope for a soft NYE drop.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, amelin said:

I see Aurora as just as flawed as Jim. I would like to have seen that sense of her own guilt for the choices she made in her life better developed, so that her final choice is better presented as a redemptive choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, straggler said:

I see Aurora as just as flawed as Jim. I would like to have seen that sense of her own guilt for the choices she made in her life better developed, so that her final choice is better presented as a redemptive choice. 

sis....... aurora is no where near as flawed as jim nnnnnnnn

tumblr_inline_oj0r39I38X1r086fu_500.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, straggler said:

I don't see her as at all flawed in a 'doing harm to others' way.  Her relationships seem to have been somewhat dysfunctional

Spoiler

potentially due to how she took the death of her father who appears to have been her only family, so far as we know.  Accordingly, her connection to Jim, regardless of having been formed on deceit and betrayal, was potentially more important to her.  Even speaking to Arthur about it being an issue she says 'a broken heart isn't that simple' instead of speaking about how awful what he did was.... her feeling of betrayal seems as sharp as her horror at her condition.  When Jim tried to and expected to die to save her and the others, then offered her a way to live the original life she would have had ( but for having to live with the thought that she had condemned him to be alone forever), he made it clear that he had changed and would take it back if he could  She then had a choice to forgive him and salvage a relationship she also needed, or not forgive him and live alone for the rest of her life.  I think she chose wisely in forgiving him, but their glossing over this part with pat and hurried circumstance did lessen the ending I thought it could have had.  However, I don't think it was intended to be that deep.  It was in between, a popcorn movie with some thought provoking elements.  The ending was the weakest part of the movie for lack of deeper development, but overall I enjoyed the movie very much.  On top of that, it was supposed to cause conversations, and it certainly succeeded at that.

and even for those who have issues with the plot point even existing, I would think they'd like the debate it intentionally started.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, amelin said:

Spoiler

The resolution is not really the problem. It's the setup. Basically this man steals her life away because he's horny and "in love" and that is supposed to be ok. Letting him wake up a random person would have been a lot better.

20 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Hide contents

The resolution is not really the problem. It's the setup. Basically this man steals her life away because he's horny and "in love" and that is supposed to be ok. Letting him wake up a random person would have been a lot better.

Spoiler

I don't see that it is presented as ok.  He obviously keeps from doing it for months, knowing it is wrong, does it and hides it, and I think it is presented as an awful thing. 

Once it is done, it is done, however, and Aurora has him or no one.  In her own isolation, and in contemplating what life would be like were he dead, she also has a taste of what that solitude would be like.  In the screenplay everyone else died, so there was no auto doc option. I did find that difficult to swallow, but it didn't ruin it for me.  SHE would be living isolated if she didn't see his heroism and risking his life for her and the others as showing he has changed now that he actually knows her, and forgiving him.  In no way is what he did ok in the movie, as I see it.

In fact the guy I was with one of the times I saw it said he'd have INSISTED she get in that autodoc because 'you woke me up' wins every argument they ever have until the end of time....but he enjoyed the movie, too.

Edited by trifle

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I wanted

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Fair enough. Personally I think that would have sort of ruined her character arc, though. Aurora actively choosing whether to go back to sleep or stay with him was a crucial plot point in my opinion. Jim took away her choice at one point, and in the end he gave it back. It's not only a turning point in the relationship but also reflective of her new perspective on her life and herself.

4 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

sis....... aurora is no where near as flawed as jim nnnnnnnn

tumblr_inline_oj0r39I38X1r086fu_500.gif

Well without spoiling anything, think about the life choices she made to be there, why she was on the ship in the first place, and who and what she left behind. "Bye familiy, bye best friends, I'm going into hypersleep and when I wake up you will all be dead. See yah." Heston character in Planet of the Apes kept coming to mind. Only he was a cynic. She was a dreamer.     

@straggler

Spoiler

There is no indication she had any family other than the father who died when she was 17.  In my mind she didn't commit to relationships when she lost him, and committing to a relationship with Jim was the first time since.  Which made the feeling of betrayal more, but also made the loss of that relationship a more terrible outcome.

I think people are responding to the 'redemptive' word you used, as if Aurora had done someone wrong, where it seems she just never allowed herself to connect that fully to anyone -- until her relationship with Jim.

I think the movie addresses 'alone-ness' on a number of different fronts.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, trifle said:

@straggler

Reveal hidden contents

You may be right.

Spoiler

But there is no indication her mother is dead. Or that she does not have other family. And we literally see her friends saying goodbye and her best friend begging her to stay. There is a theme of aloneness in the movie. But there is also a theme of selfishness.

Spoiler

People can respond. I think that would have been a very interesting idea that could have tied things up better in the third act. As it stands people are complaining about the third act because it seemed rushed. But really how you tie things up in a romantic direction was going to be a struggle. I just think it would have worked better if the film recognized that there was a certain selfishness to Aurora, and that her final choice rejected this aspect of her life. You could have even had flashbacks or dream visions about abandonment. Would have been pretty dark, admittedly. 

Edited by straggler