A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

The thing I loved about Passengers is that by waking up Aurora, not only did he not "kill her" he asctually gave her a life.  Her life on Earth was miserable, which is why she agreed to go into space.  By waking her he gave her purpose and he gave her love and joy.  She had none of that at home.  So the decision to some people seems wrong and egregious but he did it for all the right reasons and sometimes the universe does conspire with you, in this case it did for the both of them.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

passengers started to lagged behind of TGWTT since day 34....$100m alarming!

TGWTT kept a higher count of theatres this week 1900 to Passengers 1500. I'm still hopeful for $100m but we will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

TGWTT kept a higher count of theatres this week 1900 to Passengers 1500. I'm still hopeful for $100m but we will see. 

Hoping it's doesn't lose more than  20-25% of its screens this week. 

I don't know if you guys noted this but TGWTDT was at theaters only during the weekends after Feb 9th 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&view=chart&id=girldragontattoo11.htm

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Hoping it's doesn't lose more than  20-25% of its screens this week. 

I don't know if you guys noted this but TGWTDT was at theaters only during the weekends after Feb 9th 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&view=chart&id=girldragontattoo11.htm

well, the studio just stop reporting the daily figure, they were still in cinema for mid-week

I expect it to lose a lot of theaters again. Not really sure how it can get to 100m without a major push (like what Arrival is getting this week for the exact same purpose).

But Sony didn't care enough to put some actual thought and creativity into their push, so I don't expect anything from them at this point. I could see it finish at $96-97m.

Honestly, they tried to hide the so called twist for the entire campaign, and it did them no favours. I wonder what a TV spot advertizing the movie's plot as it is and framing it as "What would YOU do"? could do for its late legs, but we'll never know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Same.  And it isn't just the number but the quality of theaters. All the 'good' theaters near me lost it a couple of weeks ago. Now with the re release / wider opening of Oscar hopefuls for the top prizes, even what was left will drop.

6 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Speaking of Sony's awful marketing, as of yesterday the Passengers Movie account hadn't even tweeted one tweet noting that Passengers had two academy awards.  Somehow I think they're not going to give it any push.

2 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

And they say this is not Oscar worthy...

I was just going to post a tweet with that in it! 

I definitely think it deserves Production Design, and hope for score as well, but if La La Land sweeps most, I can see them giving Production Design to Arrival as a consolation prize.  This is one area where I definitely think Passengers has Arrival beat, however, in actual design.

By the way, I love the 'Sony' product placement on the future's retractable tablet computer and communicator.

Edited by trifle

5 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

And Chris took that edit from a fan account :D 

Well, at least he is doing something. I haven't checked the Passengers Movie account today but as of yesterday they hadn't even sent out a tweet indicating Passengers had 2 academy award nominations. JenLawFilms is on top of it but seriously, the movie's own twitter account should make SOME noise.

By the way, something I noticed when I looked at Numbers today.  It kind of quantifies Passengers' good legs:

Passengers-(2016)-Thumbnail.jpg

RR3d8zI.jpg

and that is despite theater drops, and not even looking at international numbers, which are better.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Passengers-(2016)#tab=box-office

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The Academy loves JLaw so much that they find a way to put one of her movies even when it is rotten, lmfao. 

Well they clearly screened it, regardless of reviews, for some reason.

I don't think it's rotten though, just painted that way. :P

JessicaRabbitButton.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The Academy loves JLaw so much that they find a way to put one of her movies even when it is rotten, lmfao. 

Interestingly, the first Academy Awards trailer is out, and the Passengers shot is early, and does nothing to highlight production design or score.

Edited by trifle

On 27 januari 2017 at 0:54 AM, trifle said:

By the way, something I noticed when I looked at Numbers today.  It kind of quantifies Passengers' good legs:

Passengers-(2016)-Thumbnail.jpg

RR3d8zI.jpg

and that is despite theater drops, and not even looking at international numbers, which are better.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Passengers-(2016)#tab=box-office

Nice, thanks for sharing! The legs are a nice comfort, at least. I was wondering early on to what extent good word of mouth could help this movie. I saw so many people online condemn it without even having seen it. When I brought it up in conversation with a group of friends, they were all "but I heard that movie actually sucks", and they don't even normally pay attention to movie reviews. I doubt I got any tickets sold. Seems other people had more luck :) Also, I'm guessing the controversy made some people curious to see what all the fuss was about.

The legs are fine but not atypical for a Christmas release with that size opening.  The chart makes comparisons to all films with that size opening from every release date, so it's skews very favorably for Christmas releases.  For example Sing's multiplier will be around an 8 while Secret Life of Pets was 3.53.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1