A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

32 minutes ago, JennaJ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree,

Spoiler

I wanted them together. But I did want them to make it more natural and less sudden.

1 hour ago, amelin said:

Well, I think that would have run counter to the themes of the story, or at least the way I interpret it. One of the things that resonated so strongly with me was how these characters come to realize the value of relationships with other people, and how those even trump the importance of fulfilling your personal goals. I can see how a lot of people may not agree with me on that, but if I were to name the single most important thing in life, it wouldn't be my career goals, as important as they are to me. It would be love. Not necessarily romantic love, just love in general. The review I linked goes into way, way more detail, but that's the gist of it for me.

Love that was formed from a egregious selfish act? Is that worth having?

Edited by Bishop54

On 5 februari 2017 at 2:32 AM, Bishop54 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think so. It may have grown from an egregious, selfish act, but it was still the most intimate relationship Aurora had ever had. As I understand it, she had lived her life keeping people at arm's length, until Jim. She even spelled it out for us: when she was with him, for the first time in her life, she didn't feel alone. I'd say that's absolutely worth having. Giving it up would have been a big sacrifice, I think.

Edited by amelin
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:
  Hide contents

Love that was formed from a egregious selfish act? Is that worth having?

The question is if a movie's purpose is to preach and serve as a moral cautionary tale, or if its purpose is simply to tell a compelling story.

I don't really get the notion that movies shouldn't depict morally grey acts and characters. How boring would it be to limit storytelling like that. I mean, isn't it equally important to convey that people aren't defined by their mistakes and misdeeds, that forgiveness is a virtue, that love can overcome the most difficult circumstances? I think there's a story worth telling here.

my problem isn't with the outcome they chose, it's with the way its resolution was handled.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

The question is if a movie's purpose is to preach and serve as a moral cautionary tale, or if its purpose is simply to tell a compelling story.

I don't really get the notion that movies shouldn't depict morally grey acts and characters. How boring would it be to limit storytelling like that. I mean, isn't it equally important to convey that people aren't defined by their mistakes and misdeeds, that forgiveness is a virtue, that love can overcome the most difficult circumstances? I think there's a story worth telling here.

For sure. And I think the idea that a character's bad deeds should always go punished in a story can be more than a little patronizing to the audience. It's not as if we can't be trusted to make our own judgment.

Edited by amelin

53 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OK, but what do you do when the situation is imperfect but it is the situation you have?  That is the question the movie poses.  I agree with @amelin about Aurora and relationships. (But under the new 'until release in dvd in North America' spoiler policy, I think it maybe should be spoiler tagged.)

I think it is a lot more interesting because it is a murky situation.

But I think the end was abrupt and not as persuasive as it could have been.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, amelin said:

Oops, I thought the "four weeks after theatrical release" rule applied in this thread! Sorry! Will fix.

It does.

4 weeks is the spoiler policy in the movies general thread.

DVD release is for outside this thread.

• Like 2

Ruben Ostlund pitched an alternate take:

“There was one film I really wanted to do that has been made now. That was ‘Passengers.’ But I wanted to change the setup of ‘Passengers.’ The main character is a guy who wakes up in one of those pods on a spaceship. I wanted to put his family in the other pods, his wife and kids. Then there’s this dilemma: He’s going to die on the ship because the travel takes 300 years. If he wakes up his kids, they will die on the spaceship and not on the planet they’re heading for; if he wakes up his wife, then the kids will not have a mother when they arrive. So of course, you have to wake up another woman, because you don’t want to be alone,” he explained. “Then you can swipe on pictures to see the women, like Tinder. You have to decide on the pictures and pick someone. To bring things [like] that would be relevant in contemporary times. But when I pitched this to the producers, I think they got scared.”

http://theplaylist.net/force-majeure-director-ruben-ostlund-says-producers-turned-pitch-direct-passengers-20170208/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's a horrible idea.  So Pratt would leave his wife and kids in the pods but wake up the hot piece of ass?  That's horrible.

agreed.

Of course, one critic was suggesting he be a serial killer, that he keeps waking up young women but then 'has to get rid of them'. And then one woman discovers the other empty pods -- all women....but she's stuck with him on the space ship...

I'm convince that moral ambiguity is too much work for some people, but to me, it is what gave this movie greater depth.

Edited by trifle

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/qa-force-majeure-director-ruben-ostlund-on-the-square-1201978527/

Force Majeure’ Director Ruben Ostlund

It’s interesting that you’re getting offers to direct crimes and thrillers in the U.S., considering you’ve never done any in Sweden.

There was one film I really wanted to do that has been made now. That was “Passengers.” But I wanted to change the setup of “Passengers.” The main character is a guy who wakes up in one of those pods on a spaceship. I wanted to put his family in the other pods, his wife and kids. Then there’s this dilemma: He’s going to die on the ship because the travel takes 300 years. If he wakes up his kids, they will die on the spaceship and not on the planet they’re heading for; if he wakes up his wife, then the kids will not have a mother when they arrive. So of course, you have to wake up another woman, because you don’t want to be alone. Then you can swipe on pictures to see the women, like Tinder. You have to decide on the pictures and pick someone. To bring things [like] that would be relevant in contemporary times. But when I pitched this to the producers, I think they got scared.

• Like 1