A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

3 hours ago, babz06 said:

I guess but it seems like a missed opportunity to get those extra date night tickets for people who didnt catch Passengers over Christmas or crowded January. Superbowl weekend is traditionally not a big movie-going weekend. But Sony doesn't have the best business decisions so i shouldn't be surprised. 

Maybe this is when they can get them because of 50 Shades and other movies opening.

1 hour ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Maybe it will keep those screens next week as well? 

At least if it drops some it will be dropping from a higher number.  I hope it does keep them, though.  It might depend on performance how many it keeps - both Passengers' performance and that of other movies out.

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I caught this today, amazing film until the end. I lost all emotional attachment the movie built up when the final few minutes play out. Botched ending for sure.

Yeah, the ending felt very abrupt to me. I really hope the Blu-Ray has commentary or additional scenes because I'm sure there was another version of that ending.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Yeah, the ending felt very abrupt to me. I really hope the Blu-Ray has commentary or additional scenes because I'm sure there was another version of that ending.

There are a lot of stills that aren't in the movie.

Spoiler

tumblr_oilgb5dQhk1unxdtmo1_1280.jpg

Also, the director mentioned that the reshoots had to do with the ending.  I'd like to see the original one.

I agree it was rushed.  I still liked the movie, but the ending was the weak spot.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

It had nothing to do with that, it wasn't the ending we deserved. 

9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Well, it was supposed to get people thinking about what they would have done, so that's fair.

Spoiler

Did you want her to make good with the crow bar?

12 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Without going into specifics to avoid spoilers, I thought the ending they decided to go with felt like it wasn't their original plan, and I thought it showed in the way it was handled and how quickly it resolved everything. I'd love to see the original ending, whatever it was. I hope they include that on the Blu-Ray. But once they chose to go the path they went in, I definitely think it needed to be fleshed out better. The pacing is awkward as hell the way they left it.

The way it stands right now, I think no matter how much you enjoy the movie or relate to either character, you're left feeling unsatisfied by that ending.

• Like 3

On 4 februari 2017 at 11:34 PM, JennaJ said:

I hope so too. I would have liked to see a scene that shed a bit more light on how she came to make her decision. I love the themes that went into that but, as has been mentioned here before, we're sort of left to unravel them for ourselves. 

This review has been plugged before but it's so good I've got to bring it back: https://fogonpleasanthill.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/passengers-and-hope/

I think the plot is really well constructed around the themes this guy talks about, but I do wish a bit more attention had been paid to them in the third act. Shifting the focus a little bit from the collapse of the ship to Aurora's inner turmoil would have been great. Honestly, just adding one scene about her coming to terms with everything would have done a lot IMO.

It doesn't ruin the movie for me, though. I mean, I've seen it four times :ph34r: I just don't think it quite lived up to its full potential.

Edited by amelin
  • Like 3

Spoiler

The ending we should have gotten is Aurora going into cryosleep so she could continue her life that was initially stolen from her by Jim. But what we ended up getting is Jim getting exactly what he wanted. He rectified his wrong and thus I wish Aurora went to sleep while he lived out his days alone like should have been the case. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:
  Hide contents

The ending we should have gotten is Aurora going into cryosleep so she could continue her life that was initially stolen from her by Jim. But what we ended up getting is Jim getting exactly what he wanted. He rectified his wrong and thus I wish Aurora went to sleep while he lived out his days alone like should have been the case. 

Spoiler

It seemed to me that realistically a year later she might feel differently, but on the spot when the guy just risked his life for you and the ship, and having to live with knowing that he would be living and dying alone when she went back to sleep wouldn't have put her in the innocent sleeping original position.  And she had fallen in love with him in the time she hadn't known he had woken her. 

I get it that he shouldn't profit from what he did, but he did try to make it right.  I was able to overlook that, but would have liked it not to be so sudden.  The Beast in Beauty and the Beast profited from what he did too, but I am able to overlook it for the sake of the story.  I get it that it opens real issues then just sort of slaps on an ending though.  I think if it had addressed it more from her view, having not had deep relationships for a while before this one and having to choose between her original plan, divorced from relationships at least until she shows up on Earth 200 years in the future, or living on the ship after Jim had done all he could at that point to make it right...it would have worked better.  She had had to think about what her life would have been like if he died, too, by that point.  I think it makes it hard to leave someone to that fate.

But you aren't the only one who thinks that she should have left him there.

• Like 1

On 5 februari 2017 at 0:37 AM, Bishop54 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, I think that would have run counter to the themes of the story, or at least the way I interpret it. One of the things that resonated so strongly with me was how these characters come to realize the value of relationships with other people, and how those even trump the importance of fulfilling your personal goals. I can see how a lot of people may not agree with me on that, but if I were to name the single most important thing in life, it wouldn't be my career goals, as important as they are to me. It would be love. Not necessarily romantic love, just love in general. The review I linked goes into way, way more detail, but that's the gist of it for me.

Edited by amelin
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

See, I think the movie did enough to show me how conflicted Jim was about waking her up and that it wasn't at any point a remorseless decision - however morally reprehensible it is.

Where I think the movie faltered is at showing how Aurora went from trying to kill him in blind rage to feeling like she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. I could still buy it, because I think life and death situations make us see what's really important in life. Still, a little more insight into her emotional process would go a long way.

I could take an ending where she goes back to sleep, but I don't think the movie couldn't or shouldn't have ended with them together. I think there's more to it than telling a moral story where every action is met with its just reward / punishment. The script just needed to be more compelling in its final narrative choice. By that point I wanted them to be together, I just wanted to know how Aurora got to that point without having to fill in the blanks myself.

• Like 3