A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/qa-force-majeure-director-ruben-ostlund-on-the-square-1201978527/

Force Majeure’ Director Ruben Ostlund

It’s interesting that you’re getting offers to direct crimes and thrillers in the U.S., considering you’ve never done any in Sweden.

There was one film I really wanted to do that has been made now. That was “Passengers.” But I wanted to change the setup of “Passengers.” The main character is a guy who wakes up in one of those pods on a spaceship. I wanted to put his family in the other pods, his wife and kids. Then there’s this dilemma: He’s going to die on the ship because the travel takes 300 years. If he wakes up his kids, they will die on the spaceship and not on the planet they’re heading for; if he wakes up his wife, then the kids will not have a mother when they arrive. So of course, you have to wake up another woman, because you don’t want to be alone. Then you can swipe on pictures to see the women, like Tinder. You have to decide on the pictures and pick someone. To bring things [like] that would be relevant in contemporary times. But when I pitched this to the producers, I think they got scared.

I like how he says "of course" he has to wake up another woman. That's some messed up logic right there.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

I like how he says "of course" he has to wake up another woman. That's some messed up logic right there.

I like that he straight up sees this movie as a crime thriller and not a Romance.  No sugar coating.

Then you can swipe on pictures to see the women, like Tinder.

:lol: 

• Like 1

Passengers receives a well-deserved ADG award!

http://deadline.com/2017/02/2017-adg-awards-winners-list-live-blog-art-directors-guild-rogue-one-game-of-thrones-1201908756/

LA La Land, Hidden Figures and Passengers took the top film prizes tonight at the Art Directors Guild’s 21st annual ADG Awards in Hollywood. La La Land and Passengers will face off for the Production Design Oscar in two weeks, but Hidden Figures is not nominated. See the full winners list below.

well, above, at the link

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

Sony/BOM are sure taking their time updating international.  The $195,308,285 listed on BOM is as of 2/7.  Currently the WW total is $293,319,878 (with international as of 2/7) with Japan to open in March.  I guess it isn't likely to pass $300M WW before Japan, but I wonder how close it actually is.

1 hour ago, trifle said:

Sony/BOM are sure taking their time updating international.  The $195,308,285 listed on BOM is as of 2/7.  Currently the WW total is $293,319,878 (with international as of 2/7) with Japan to open in March.  I guess it isn't likely to pass $300M WW before Japan, but I wonder how close it actually is.

294.5m

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

Also, Juju partnered with Sony Japan to put out a song for this, which is apparently the first time she has worked with a foreign film:

As usual, foreign Sony branches are marketing this much better than it was marketed here.  Japan is home base for Sony, though, so that might have something to do with it this time.

I accidentally posted that in the wrong thread, it belongs here.

Also:

That really IS a much better trailer.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Well, it's getting a few more theaters this weekend - not a ton, but it is gaining over 200% because it had so few:

+443 total 658  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2017&wk=07&p=.htm

Unfortunately, since there will be no advertising, a lot of people will probably think it is still gone.  It has come back to an AMC not too far from me, though....

And Ghostbusters is back at a different theater near me fwiw.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1