A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

@kowhite

You say that there have been people that I made 20 million plus 30% of the profits. Without looking it up I can think of 2. I think Jack Nicholson make 20 million for doing Batman and made a pile of money off the movie as well. I know Arnold Schwarzenegger made a pile of money off of doing Terminator 3. But that seems like a different time in Hollywood. I guess Robert Downey jr. Is making that kind of money off of doing the Avengers as well but other than those three examples who else are there? I mean it just doesn't make sense that anybody would get that kind of money on an original science-fiction film in today's climate. The three examples that I mentioned were all franchise films and all films that were pretty much guaranteed to do huge business. I just don't think any Studio can afford to be stupid enough to sign that kind of a deal with their talent anymore.

I wonder how much more it could have made with decent reviews. Not anything earth shattering, just 55-65% insteaed of 31%.

It has a 5/10 rating so there was definitely a negative slant (You can find movies with a 5/10 that have 60% approval rate).

I just feel like the reviews were harsher than the movie deserved.

Really wish Sony didn't try to hide the "twist" in marketing, because I think that contributed to a lot of the vitriol, which was pretty much unjustified IMHO.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Really wish Sony didn't try to hide the "twist" in marketing, because I think that contributed to a lot of the vitriol, which was pretty much unjustified IMHO.

I think so too, and I also think the movie might have been easier to promote if they'd been upfront about it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Saw this movie and I don't get the hate the critics had. Movie entertained me from start to finish.

I didn't hate it, but it was a massive letdown for me, It made me mad because I felt it had so much potential, and the last two acts were just kind of jumbled messes, I wonder if those rumors about the script being butchered were true now.

Edited by Kalo

12 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Seeing it in two days, when it opens here.

Better be REAL bad, as in ALL IN, PRETTY FUN bad. :) Or at least I hope it looks really good, the sci fi part, so the visuals make up for the rest.

It is absolutely visually stunning. There might be some unintentional levity in the very end, if you are a cynical sort, but I think the movie is good.  Let us know what you think.  And what your girl friend thinks.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trifle said:

It is absolutely visually stunning. There might be some unintentional levity in the very end, if you are a cynical sort, but I think the movie is good.  Let us know what you think.  And what your girl friend thinks.

Good. If it is consistently good looking, and you can see the 110m budget throughout - then I'm probably even seeing it twice. But it is possible that the whole second act is devoid of good shots.

Unfortunately, I won't be bringing my GF to see this - since she is a very busy working girl (as opposed to the Shay who never works and has all the time in the world), so I am trying to make her time worthwhile and only bring her to good movies I know she is going to like (Dr. Strange, Moana, Rogue 1, La la Land). Moreover, it turned out she HATES JLaw maybe even more than me... sorry about that. So she doesn't even want to hear about Passengers. As I said - she is a very smart girl, and a beauty. :)

But I promise I'm gonna give this movie my best. Now that it has been dragged through the mud - the Shay will give it a chance. You know that I always try to help the movies that have it rough - and mount an everlasting crusade against the overrated ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

Good. If it is consistently good looking, and you can see the 110m budget throughout - then I'm probably even seeing it twice. But it is possible that the whole second act is devoid of good shots.

Unfortunately, I won't be bringing my GF to see this - since she is a very busy working girl (as opposed to the Shay who never works and has all the time in the world), so I am trying to make her time worthwhile and only bring her to good movies I know she is going to like (Dr. Strange, Moana, Rogue 1, La la Land). Moreover, it turned out she HATES JLaw maybe even more than me... sorry about that. So she doesn't even want to hear about Passengers. As I said - she is a very smart girl, and a beauty. :)

But I promise I'm gonna give this movie my best. Now that it has been dragged through the mud - the Shay will give it a chance. You know that I always try to help the movies that have it rough - and mount an everlasting crusade against the overrated ones.

I'm sorry she hates Jen.  Without that, I'm pretty certain you would enjoy taking her to this movie.  I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1