A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

@trifle, no offense, but even though you said you weren't a defensive JLaw stan a few days ago, almost everything you've been posting since this in this thread has been pretty defensive.

Besides, if you have to go the extra mile to convince yourself that the critics have got it in for this movie, that means you're aware it's probably not all that great.

The Jlaw fans are extra-defensive because her film is being trashed by critics, which could very mean a box office trashing too. I have been there (the DCEU films), so I know how it feels, but with Passengers, they don't even have the critic-proof box office guarantee that the DC Comics brand, a YA novel pedigree, or a brand-name superstar director could provide. This film is critical for the continued perception that she is a box office draw, and its flopping could diminish/tarnish that perception. 

Edited by Cochofles

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's a joke, silly. Or is it? Since it's no secret there are a lot of people (aka insecure white dudes) that are threatened by women and believe they're being oppressed (aka they're afraid of karma).

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

The Jlaw fans are extra-defensive because her film is being trashed by critics, which could very much mean a box office trashing too. I have been there (the DCEU films), so I know how it feels, but with Passengers, they don't even have the critic-proof box office guarantee that the DC Comics brand, a YA novel pedigree, or a brand-name superstar director could provide. This film is critical for the continued perception that she is a box office draw, and its flopping could diminish/tarnish that perception. 

hm.

The two of you should work it out. Unless you are agreed, of course.

6 hours ago, trifle said:

[the only person I have read on these forums suggesting such a conspiracy is you.]

Ahem...

6 hours ago, trifle said:

Some of them seem to be frothing at the mouth and tying themselves into knots trying to criticize it on every front.  I doubt having the plot point in the trailer would have changed that. They are calling this sexist to the point where they even criticize Aurora being willing to have sex 'so much', as if it were unseemly and only in guys' fantasies do girls like sex.  I thought that was a pretty archaic and sexist attitude itself, actually.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trifle said:

hm.

The two of you should work it out. Unless you are agreed, of course.

I thought you said that you were not extra defensive over every little thing.

Chill.

Even if the film flops with audiences the way it has flopped critically, you will enjoy it, right?

I didn't find the film sexist in any way.  Then again, I'm an adult Jewish guy.  Others might feel differently, I had some problems with it, but I wouldn't call it sexist.

Overall, I enjoyed the romance and chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence.  I actually wouldn't have minded seeing more of it explored.

I tend to think that Rotten Tomatoes creates a mob/herd mentality. Critics want to go along with their peers. One studio executive described the response to Collateral Beauty as a school yard assault. Everyone piles on. 

Joy was my favorite David O. Russell film. Great performance. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

Rofl yall are so annoying - J.law stans should get a reality check, it's a flop, J.law stans are ultra defensive - ok? Can you stop to post the same no sense on every page...

the hatred is deeply rooted

Edited by XO21

3 hours ago, straggler said:

I tend to think that Rotten Tomatoes creates a mob/herd mentality. Critics want to go along with their peers. One studio executive described the response to Collateral Beauty as a school yard assault. Everyone piles on. 

I haven't seen Passengers yet but I saw Collateral Beauty over the weekend and lol that article is total bullshit. Critics didn't blast the film to be mean, they blasted it because it really is that awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I haven't seen Passengers yet but I saw Collateral Beauty over the weekend and lol that article is total bullshit. Critics didn't blast the film to be mean, they blasted it because it really is that awful.

In 50 years, audiences and critics will revisit Passengers and Collateral Beauty, and finally see them as the masterpieces they are.

Edited by Cochofles

28 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

In 50 years, audiences and critics will revisit Passengers and Collateral Beauty, and finally see them as the masterpieces they are.

Give it a month, and CB will be regarded as a masterpiece in the same way Plan 9 From Outer Space is

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I mean at this point I assume the 'spoiler' we're talking around that's not really a spoiler because it apparently happens early in the movie but whatever has been kept away from trailers because there's no way it could be construed as romantic?

Absolutely.

The studio knows that this little nugget of info will most likely keep women (and many men) away in droves, so they have to pretend that the film is just about "sexy times in outer space."  Hey, anything to get a decent OW at least.

6 hours ago, straggler said:

Joy was my favorite David O. Russell film. Great performance. 

I don't. When a movie is downright awful, critics are going to call it out on that. If there was a mob/herd mentality then all films would either have low RT ratings or high RT ratings. There would be no in between. 

Like 90% of critics have already written their reviews and submitted them all at the same time. They'll just get released or sent to RT at different times. It just feels like it's a herd mentality because all the critics didn't like it. 

And in regards to Collateral Beauty...that movie sucked so the reviews were warranted in my eyes. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Everyone will be moving on to "it's a conspiracy against Ben Affleck!" in a few days when the Live by Night reviews come in (early word has been going around on Twitter that it's a stinker for some time now).

How many times have you posted the same message?

Edited by efialtes76

This herd mentality is more true if we are talking about audiences. I don't like to admit it, but I usually grade bad reviewed movies lower even if I liked them.

Btw. I watched Joy in the theater room alone. Cinema staff were the only people I met after the credits. :lol:

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 1

Jennifer Lawrence is a draw whether you like it or not lol. However Passengers does box office wise would have done worse if she hadn't been in it. Theres few actresses working today that have as much weight behind their name as her (maybe scar jo, emma stone). And Chris Pratt even more so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vogue said:

Theres few actresses working today that have as much weight behind their name as her (maybe scar jo, emma stone). And Chris Pratt even more so.

I'd argue that Melissa McCarthy is a bigger draw than Jlaw. She has not had a YA mega-franchise or a superhero universe to make people believe that she is a draw, and even her critically hated turds open to decent numbers.

And sorry, Emma Stone? Nope. She has zero box office clout.

• Like 6