A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I'd argue that Melissa McCarthy is a bigger draw than Jlaw. She has not had a YA mega-franchise or a superhero universe to make people believe that she is a draw, and even her critically hated turds open to decent numbers.

And sorry, Emma Stone? Nope. She has zero box office clout.

Right.

Sandra Bullock is also a huge draw in the right role. 

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I'd argue that Melissa McCarthy is a bigger draw than Jlaw. She has not had a YA mega-franchise or a superhero universe to make people believe that she is a draw, and even her critically hated turds open to decent numbers.

McCarthy is a draw but I don't think a Passengers movie starring Chris Pratt and Melissa McCarthy would be successful. :P

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

McCarthy is a draw but I don't think a Passengers movie starring Chris Pratt and Melissa McCarthy would be successful. :P

You are right...we all know what a post-American Sniper Bradley Cooper and a smack-in-the-middle-of Hunger Games-sequels Jennifer Lawrence did for Serena.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serena.htm

Serena

Domestic Total Gross: $176,391
Distributor: Magnolia Release Date: March 27, 2015
Genre: Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 49 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: N/A

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Sandra bullock tops the lot of them 

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

You are right...we all know what a post-American Sniper Bradley Cooper and a smack-in-the-middle-of Hunger Games-sequels Jennifer Lawrence did for Serena.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serena.htm

Serena

Domestic Total Gross: $176,391
Distributor: Magnolia Release Date: March 27, 2015
Genre: Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 49 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: N/A

Does that count though? Has anyone actually heard of this movie?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Does that count though? Has anyone actually heard of this movie?

No because it was buried.  But it cost $30m and it was done by an Oscar winning director.  It got that small release because it was bad and no one wanted to pick it up for distribution (the production company owned Magnolia so they had to release it for them).  If they thought that star power was enough for it to make money they'd have released it wide and it would have got a serious distributor.  But there's hardly an actor out there this hasn't happened to.

Edited by TalismanRing

34 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Melissa is certainly a proven boxoffice draw that also has consistency. She does, however, have limit and shouldn't be put in expensive movies unless a star with bigger drawing power (Bullock or some male star) is the co-lead.  

JLaw hasn't been proven outside of a franchise and all-star cast movies. 

• Like 3

Bullock and McCarthy have been box office draws for sometime now without being in your typical franchise film. It's not even a comparison with other actresses. 

Besides her franchise films I can't put JLaw in that same category yet. I can't. Sorry. I'd put ScarJo ahead of JLaw in terms of box office draw. 

And Emma Stone? Stop it. Aloha or whatever the heck that movie is called says Hi! She has zero box office clout. 

Of course the role matters but the great actresses know which roles fit them and don't just take a role for the sake of taking it. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Bullock and McCarthy have been box office draws for sometime now without being in your typical franchise film. It's not even a comparison with other actresses. 

Besides her franchise films I can't put JLaw in that same category yet. I can't. Sorry. I'd put ScarJo ahead of JLaw in terms of box office draw. 

And Emma Stone? Stop it. Aloha or whatever the heck that movie is called says Hi! She has zero box office clout. 

Of course the role matters but the great actresses know which roles fit them and don't just take a role for the sake of taking it. 

You say that, but when you're trying to get paid and all you see is a script and a director it's not as obvious as you make it.  I'm sure Aloha, for example, looked like a winner that turned out wrong.

Same with Serena.

Sometimes things just don't work out for other reasons beyond the actor's sense of a good script.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

You say that, but when you're trying to get paid and all you see is a script and a director it's not as obvious as you make it.  I'm sure Aloha, for example, looked like a winner that turned out wrong.

Same with Serena.

Sometimes things just don't work out for other reasons beyond the actor's sense of a good script.

I'm talking about types of roles. I'm not speaking on the script or film. I don't see McCarthy going for the serious role because that's not her. I don't see Leo going for comedies. That's why some actors and actresses have been successful. They know what they're strongest at and pick roles that suit them. 

I can go on and on about how certain actors and actresses have found success by sticking to certain types of roles instead of just picking any role that's offered to them. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Bullock becoming a star because of Speed is a testament to her starpower and likability. How many actresses in those days became stars out of being third-billed in an action movie? Die Hard, Under Siege, Cliffhanger. None of those female leads became movie stars. And then less than a year later she proved herself a true draw with While You Were Sleeping. 

8 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Our Brand Is Crisis (2015)

Domestic Total Gross: $7,002,261
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: October 30, 2015
Genre: Comedy / Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 48 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $28 million

Yeah, Sandra Bullock is a big draw.

That movie was never appealing to begin with.

Ah the ever elusive who is a draw. Well no one is in the wrong vehicle, especially if the film wasn't commercial on the first place. Certain genres are relatively commercially safe, the Adam Sandler gross out comedy, which is critic proof. The big CGI effects fest. But the idea that some one can magically draw in a noncommercial film that gets  bad reviews is a pipe dream. Joy is as close as you will get. 

Someone who has credibility with the audience across a number of genres is probably as close as you get today. But it all still has to come together. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 2

^

Yeah she is. Before that she had 4 non-franchise big hits with her name front and centre. That movie got essentially dumped but it doesn't absolute Bullock. It's her flop. No one disputes that. What I don't get is how Joy not making back its budget or the possibility Passengers not making back its budget doesn't count as a flop because without JLaw they would gross even less. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joel M said:

^

Yeah she is. Before that she had 4 non-franchise big hits with her name front and centre. That movie got essentially dumped but it doesn't absolute Bullock. It's her flop. No one disputes that. What I don't get is how Joy not making back its budget or the possibility Passengers not making back its budget doesn't count as a flop because without JLaw they would gross even less. 

That's Jlaw stans to you. :D