A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

It looks like it will fall short of $100m domestic. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at it but it's still just barely over $99m after a 35k Tuesday in just 287 theaters. With all the big releases coming up I don't see how it even keeps that tiny amount of theaters. If it gets another 100k it'll pass Hercules (1997) to be the second closest movie to $100m without hitting that mark, after Gnomeo and Juliet.

1 hour ago, Incarnadine said:

It looks like it will fall short of $100m domestic. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at it but it's still just barely over $99m after a 35k Tuesday in just 287 theaters. With all the big releases coming up I don't see how it even keeps that tiny amount of theaters. If it gets another 100k it'll pass Hercules (1997) to be the second closest movie to $100m without hitting that mark, after Gnomeo and Juliet.

They were able to push the last JB over 200 mill.. They can do the same here to 100 mill..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

All they really have to do is give it a double feature with Life, and keep it in theaters long enough. I don't think they're going to give up when it's this close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

The way Sony has been aggressively working with this I think they are committed to getting it over $100M.  The benefits on the TV market are supposed to be pretty significant.

and it is the number one dvd seller in science fiction on amazon already with pre sales, and the dvd features aren't even listed yet.  If they get a higher percentage of the after market based on it being above $100M domestic, they have every reason to go for it.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Fudge?

It went backwards by weeks, meanwhile Numbers has updated twice. What I posted above is Numbers' last update, which continues to go up.  I'm concluding it is simply an error, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

the first 10 minutes have been uploaded by Sony. 

Some Chris Pratt fans on twitter are irritated that they don't show the full glory of Chris Pratt in the shower scene from the movie in this..... But they do want you to buy the DVD, after all....

BOM fixed its error on the box office, although its international numbers are typically old, only going through 2/7 according to their chart.  BOM now says:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $99,037,734    33.6%
Foreign:  $195,308,285    66.4%

Worldwide:  $294,346,019  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=passengers2016.htm

Numbers now says:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Passengers-(2016)#tab=international

Passengers (2016)

Passengers
Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $99,037,734  
International Box Office $197,151,485  
Worldwide Box Office $296,189,219  
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

This was like watching a bollywood movie really.

Where you take an interesting premise and forget about it to focus on the two stars interacting and all in pointless nonsense.

You are such a romantic!

• Like 1