Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Well at least you agree with me that BTAS is the better show. And I do love that X-Men show, it's better than 99.99% of the crappy cartoons that kids today have to watch. We were really spoiled in the 90's.

The 2 best animated shows of all time are Avatar and Batman.

Though I've heard lots of people rave about Gargoyles too, but I never watched that. But yeah, anyone that doesn't have Avatar and Batman in the top 3 or 4 cartoons of all time simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

I don't know, it wasn't very interesting to me?

Jeremy Renner at his finest would be something like The Town, I can't say I was impressed by Renner in the Avengers. Not that I blame him, he along with Thor got the shaft.

Eh, my favorite performances from him are still when he was a relative unknown in movies like Twelve and Holding and Neo Ned. My favorite part in the Avengers would be his fight with Black Widow. 

With that said, it's incredible that Ironman 3 is pretty much going to be 600 + million worldwide by tomorrow, and it's been out ww for about what, a week???????? 

Furst's death was only part of it. The thing I've noticed about Burton is he is pretty much able to create a certain look in his films regardless of who he works with, whether it's different cinematographers, different art directors, etc. Burton chose to go with a different look in Batman Returns and I actually feel it looks better than B89. Something about the snow just took it up a notch for me.

Batman doesn't really look like Burton's other films. You can tell he had the least control over it. BR looks and feels far more like a Burton film, which is one of its strengths.

• Like 1

Though I've heard lots of people rave about Gargoyles too, but I never watched that. But yeah, anyone that doesn't have Avatar and Batman in the top 3 or 4 cartoons of all time simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

I watched Gargoyles, but it wasn't as memorable to me as BTAS, X-Men, or Spider-Man. Nonetheless, the 90's were a great time to be a kid. Our parents were doing well financially with a strong economy, cartoons were fucking awesome, and we didn't have a care in the world. Kids today have it a lot worse. And shit, now they have to put up with cell phones at a young age. I'm glad I missed out on that.

BTAS is a miracle. I still can't believe the studios/networks gave kids that much credit to know that they'd love a show like that, but thank God they did.

Animaniacs was on around the same time, and iirc they could get away with some stuff.

• Like 1

Gargoyles was epicness. don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

I wouldn't say I 'liked' Nolan's Gotham (Narrows excepted), but I did like his rationale behind it: they made Gotham look normal so characters like Batman, the Joker, etc, would stand out more and seem larger than their environment. In Schumacher's world - and to an extent Burton's - Batman was a lot more liable to just blend in with the scenery.

But B89's Gotham still looks bloody awesome.

Excellent point. Burton's Gotham is more fantastical and interesting, but Nolan's Gotham helps the characters stand out. And that is more important for me.

• Like 1

Anyone ever seen that episode of Adam West Batman when The Riddler pretends like he's committing a crime when he's not so Batman attacks him and The Riddler plans to sue him for it? That was almost an amazing plan if Riddler hadn't decided to commit some actual crimes in the episode later. Honestly, what a dumbass...

Burton's Gotham is nice.but so is his score, batmobile, dialogue, costume, action, casting, iconic imagery, etc.and much of this influenced BTAS, one of the greatest, if not the greatest cartoons of all time.

• Like 4

I watched Gargoyles, but it wasn't as memorable to me as BTAS, X-Men, or Spider-Man. Nonetheless, the 90's were a great time to be a kid. Our parents were doing well financially with a strong economy, cartoons were fucking awesome, and we didn't have a care in the world. Kids today have it a lot worse. And shit, now they have to put up with cell phones at a young age. I'm glad I missed out on that.

Great post, 90's had some amazing cartoons. Opening themes were pure magic for Gargoyles, BTAS, X-Men and Spiderman.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

The X-men cartoons were a pretty complicated show for a kids show imo lol 

There were A LOT of cartoons back then that didn't treat us for the mini dumbasses that we were. Most were pretty surprising to look back on today for me.

• Like 2

The X-men cartoons were a pretty complicated show for a kids show imo lol 

I think the same can be said for Batman the Animated Series and Gargoyles as well. *Sigh* They simply don't make em like those anymore. *waxes nostalgic*

• Like 3

There were A LOT of cartoons back then that didn't treat us for the mini dumbasses that we were. Most were pretty surprising to look back on today for me.

Exactly. And now things are dumbed down to the max even though we have 4 year olds using computers and smart phones. That's what you call a funny turn of events.

• Like 2