Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I don't believe the audience is divided. I think it is experiencing very good WOM

Well yeah it's divided but not evenly divided.  I'd say it's divided with an 80/20 split.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I don't know about that. I've seen and posted early reactions from those who have seen it. It's really not terrible but definitely it's not very enthusiastic.

It seems nudged somewhere in between IM2 and IM1 so far. That could change over the weekend though.

• Like 2

Buzz is always high for book adaptaions but they always get overhyped...

Meaning thinking 50+ million is nuts and more around 40 million and you better hope reviews are good or else most people will not watch it theaters.

Keep telling yourself that, man.  The Great Gatsby isn't The Host. It's one of the most famous and beloved books in American history, with a massive star, and it's tracking very, very well.  I see what Les Mis would have done with a three day opening plus 15%.

Buzz is always high for book adaptaions but they always get overhyped...

Meaning thinking 50+ million is nuts and more around 40 million and you better hope reviews are good or else most people will not watch it theaters.

I dont think high school or college kids go to a movie based on reviews. If they really want to see the adaptation or if they are Leo fans(He will pull in women for sure), I think it will open huge even with average reviews. I doubt a Baz film can have extraordinary reviews. Even 70-75% number is great.

I think Gatsby could double Dark Shadows though IM3 could have some impact.

• Like 2

I dont think high school or college kids go to a movie based on reviews. If they really want to see the adaptation or if they are Leo fans(He will pull in women for sure), I think it will open huge even with average reviews. I doubt a Baz film can have extraordinary reviews. Even 70-75% number is great.

I think Gatsby could double Dark Shadows though IM3 could have some impact.

I agree. TGG is very anticipated. I can see it opening to 50m or more. Young women are really into this. Plus it has a modern soundtrack. I think it will be a blast. Leo in 3D is always good.

• Like 1

Posted Image

You may think its a joke but 1st one had a shocking ow. The audience base who read books is growing. So if CF is accepted well and they can build a buzz around the 3rd one(plus make it 3D), I think OW record is not out of picture.

I am not predicting it to do so at this point. But I will not rule it out either. So its ridiculous to think its a joke.

Well yeah it's divided but not evenly divided.  I'd say it's divided with an 80/20 split.

I agree that the vast majority of the audience enjoyed it, but that's the thing.....yes, they have positive reactions, but they don't have raves. TA had "OMG, you have to see this movie, it's the best thing ever" type buzz, which obviously boosted opening weekend IM and legs.  IM3 buzz is more like "Yea, it's good." Not exactly gonna make people rush out this weekend. 

• Founder / Operator

You may think its a joke but 1st one had a shocking ow. The audience base who read books is growing. So if CF is accepted well and they can build a buzz around the 3rd one(plus make it 3D), I think OW record is not out of picture.

I am not predicting it to do so at this point. But I will not rule it out either. So its ridiculous to think its a joke.

Although considering the help of a finale factor, it seems the 4th movie would be the more likely one to do it.

I agree that the vast majority of the audience enjoyed it, but that's the thing.....yes, they have positive reactions, but they don't have raves. TA had "OMG, you have to see this movie, it's the best thing ever" type buzz, which obviously boosted opening weekend IM and legs.  IM3 buzz is more like "Yea, it's good." Not exactly gonna make people rush out this weekend. 

...or even encourage repeat business.

Although considering the help of a finale factor, it seems the 4th movie would be the more likely one to do it.

That is more likely. But Twilight did not show any growth between part 1 and 2 of finale. So if part 1 is 3d and CF is well received it can beat Avengers OW. I believe only HG movies have a chance to break midnight record of Potter but it wont ever be truly broken with this 9PM releases.