kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

100 more from current OS markets, 40 more dom, 40 more Japan for 180 more to it's 727 ww cume gives 907.

Is there a chance of this missing 900?

It still had also:

Italy (Minions did 26.5)

South Korea (Minions did 15)

Slovenia (Minions did 2)

Greece + Turkey (Minions did around 5m total in both)

So we'll need to add the Italy + Sk + Slov totals to the above.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

DHD

DESPICABLE ME 3

Universal Pictures

Illumination Entertainment’s animated family threequel has been doing gangbuster business and this weekend crossed $700M globally after collecting another $47.5M in its 63 territories. Internationally, that brings up its cume to $514.1M and combined with domestic, that puts Gru and the yellow guys at $213.3M for a worldwide total of $727.4M. The film is No. 2 at the international box office behind Dunkirk this weekend.

The key opening this weekend for Despicable Me 3 was in Japan, where it debuted Friday to No. 1 and then ended the weekend with an estimated $6.5M (¥730M). That’s higher than the two previous Despicable Me films and slightly below Minions’ opening weekend in 2015 (¥737M), which took place in the middle of school holidays. Friday was the last school day before summer holidays in most areas.

In holdover markets, China is steady at No. 4 behind three local films this weekend. The weekend estimate is $9.2M for a total of $135M. It is already the fourth-highest-grossing animated film of all time in China and the No. 2 non-Chinese animated film behind Zootopia ($235M).

Also holding strong is Argentina and Uruguay, where the film is No. 1 for the fourth weekend in a row and ahead of the opening of Transformers: The Last Knight in both.

Germany is holding No. 1 for the third week in a row with $3.6M and ahead of the opening of Valerian (ouch!), but that certainly will change when Dunkirk arrives on its shores next weekend. Germany’s cume to date is $24.4M.

While Dunkirk was No. 1, Despicable Me 3 was No. 2 in the U.K. and Ireland in its fourth weekend of release. The film grossed another nice $3.9M for a total to date of $39M there. And the film is well poised to take advantage of the full school holidays in the U.K. this week.

Other key totals include Mexico ($31.6M), Brazil ($31.6M), France ($24.3M), Australia ($23.8M), Russia ($23M), Argentina ($19.2M) and Spain ($17.8M).

Universal Pictures International will release the movie into five more territories over the next month, including Korea on July 26 and Italy Aug. 24.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FORBES 

SCOTT MANDELSON

So, did anyone have Despicable Me 3 as the summer's biggest global grosser in their betting pool?  Because if you did, you're probably going to win money in a few weeks. Universal/Comcast Corp.'s Despicable Me 3 continued to crush it overseas while doing pretty okay in North America as well. The Illumination threequel earned another $12.7 million (-34%) in its fourth weekend of release, bringing its domestic total to $213.3m. That puts it above The Lorax ($212m back in 2012) and means the film is holding every bit as well as The Secret Life of Pets.

So, at this juncture, we're still looking at a $265 million domestic total, putting it in fourth place behind Spider-Man: Homecoming ($251m and going strong), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($387m and essentially done) and Wonder Woman ($389m and making a run at $400m+). But the real action is overseas, where the $80 million animated comedy earned another $47m to bring its foreign total to $514.1m. That's second for the summer behind only Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales ($596m thus far), so it should displace the Jack Sparrow sequel as the season's biggest overseas hit. Moreover, with $727m worldwide, it has a shot at passing Guardians 2 to be the biggest global grosser of the summer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/07/23/box-office-spider-man-soars-over-570m-as-despicable-me-3-tops-570m-and-apes-falls-63/#5d766d7b3a13

ANALYSIS OF ANIMATION INDUSTRY - FORBES

By Scott Mandelson

Illumination has its fifth straight $200 million+ domestic earner in four years, as well as its seventh out of eight total release (Damn you, Hop!) to hit said milestone since 2010. And with a ridiculously strong overseas track record, I think it's time to start talking about Illumination as an equal to Pixar and Walt Disney in terms of global animation domination.

I think it's time to start talking about Illumination as an equal to Pixar and Walt Disney in terms of global animation domination.

Illumination had the good fortune to start releasing films right as the overseas market expanded and right after Avatar made 3D a huge global gimmick. The first eight Illumination movies have made an average of $668 million worldwide (if you take out Hop, it's a $737m average), with an average adjusted-for-inflation domestic gross of $283m per movie ($306m without Hop). The first eight Pixar releases had an average adjusted-for-inflation domestic gross of $372m (fun fact: Ratatouille is their 14th-biggest adjusted domestic grosser but the 7th-biggest overseas earner).

So it's not quite a match, but it's not too far off, especially as Illumination's films tend to be 1/2 to 1/3 as much as Pixar and Walt Disney's animated offerings. And frankly, this is good news for everyone. Pixar was never better than when DreamWorks Animation was chomping at its heels in the mid-2000's and vice versa. The last thing we would want is Pixar or any company resting unchallenged at the top of the mountain. A financially robust and crowdpleasing Illumination will only make sure that Pixar still has something to prove. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/07/21/box-office-illuminations-despicable-me-3-just-topped-200-million-domestic/#6f9b1667616d

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone expected this NOT to win the summer crown, as competition is very weak. Especially from family films: nothing but the other summer animated junk (Cars 3), which is (thankfully) bombing everywhere. TF5 was obviously doomed to drop quite a bit from its predecessor even in local currencies, Spider Man couldn't be too successful (Guardians 2 numbers at best).

Also, we also had evidence of how the 4th chapter of a beloved franchise perform (Ice Age 4, Drek 4, Pirates 4, ...): a drop in NA, huge numbers OS.

3 hours ago, Omni said:

I don't think anyone expected this NOT to win the summer crown, as competition is very weak. Especially from family films: nothing but the other summer animated junk (Cars 3), which is (thankfully) bombing everywhere. TF5 was obviously doomed to drop quite a bit from its predecessor even in local currencies, Spider Man couldn't be too successful (Guardians 2 numbers at best).

Also, we also had evidence of how the 4th chapter of a beloved franchise perform (Ice Age 4, Drek 4, Pirates 4, ...): a drop in NA, huge numbers OS.

I will have to congratulate you for being one of the first ones to talk about a total of 900m-1b.

During first weekend we were all  (well minus you)

kinda conservative.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

It still had also:

Italy (Minions did 26.5)

South Korea (Minions did 15)

Slovenia (Minions did 2)

Greece + Turkey (Minions did around 5m total in both)

So we'll need to add the Italy + Sk + Slov totals to the above.

Yeah should do 30-35 from those markets if not more, combined and cross 900 comfortably in the end.

• Like 1

OS Actuals are in and they are up by 4.8 million!

Worldwide total is now: 732.49 million (213.6 DOM and 518.875 OS)

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $213,620,275    29.2%
Foreign:  $518,875,645    70.8%

= Worldwide:  $732,495,920  

CC: @Stutterng baumer Denbrough@FantasticBeasts@Asyulus

Also Universal Studios , for the 2nd time in its history, has become the fastest studio to reach 4B WW thanks to DM3 and Fate of the Furious:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/universal-pictures-4b-global-box-office-second-time-history-1202134696/

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

it is amazing how some movies pull off these kind of numbers....even though they are not THAT well received....similar to FF8....franchise popularity??

illumination is literally a money printing machine...making so much $$$$ on medium budgets(DM3 prod budget: $80mn)