WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Think Like a man Too did 1.8 on its way to 29.  And I don't think the reviews for this are going to matter OW.  It's got the audience to do 35-40 OW.

This is a film that appeals solely to Tupac fans, and today is his birthday. Lionsgate has only been marketing this to urban audiences and given it a big radio presence on hip hop stations. It's going to be very frontloaded.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

47 Meters Down started with 700k via ERC.  A multi similar to The Shallows gets it to 8M.  I think it does 7M given it doesn't have as good of a reception as The Shallows.

WOM is worse than what ICAN had on Friday morning, so it might go under 7M tbh.

• Like 1

Remember to take into consideration with comps previews are trending relatively larger each year.

I think All Eyez should be targeting 30m, but I won't be surprised if it falls short.

Cars 3 should also be targeting around 60m but it could also fall short.  Its advantage is there has been a relatively dead animated market.  

Rough Night looks like another comedy bomb.

• Like 1

Finding Dory was the 2016 Disney Father's Day weekend sequel entry.  It made 9.2M for previews and $135M for the weekend for a rough 14.7X multiplier...not saying Cars 3 will be that low (since Dory had more "rush out", whose subject matter was more loved and anticipated), but I am saying $60M is not yet a guarantee, although having a more male-skewing audience for this weekend will help.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is a film that appeals solely to Tupac fans, and today is his birthday. Lionsgate has only been marketing this to urban audiences and given it a big radio presence on hip hop stations. It's going to be very frontloaded.

I understand all of that.  

But Tupac is about as iconic as they come in the black community.  So I see no reason for this to die after today.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Think Like a man Too did 1.8 on its way to 29.  And I don't think the reviews for this are going to matter OW.  It's got the audience to do 35-40 OW.

lol Think Like a Man Too is not a good comparison for this at all. Look at 2009's Notorious instead (although that opened on a 4-day weekend and didn't have a gimmicky release date).

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Where do you see this?

I belive either Empire or someone else called the $3 for All Eyez yesterday so I guess this was expected but still pretty good for it.  Should be around $30 for the OW, unless it isn't as frontloaded as it seems

Cars 3 number is pretty good as well.

Not surprised about Rough Night as it did look rough :P 

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

47 Meters Down started with 700k via ERC.  A multi similar to The Shallows gets it to 8M.  I think it does 7M given it doesn't have as good of a reception as The Shallows.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This one is tough. Because WOM doesnt seem to be good for it (so far) but I wonder if shark type films rely on WOM or if folks just head out to the theaters to see it because SHARK! 

If I had to guess, I would say $6-7M is where its headed.....its not bad exactly but I don't think thats the type of start the studio was expecting based on their own projections/predictions for it. BUT they did only acquire it for single digits so its going to make them money either way (I think)

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I'm thinking:

Cars 3 - 62M

All Eyez - 30M

Rough Night - 11M

47 Meters - 7M

I pretty much agree with this. My Derby is looking good, especially with most people lowballing CU :) 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol Think Like a Man Too is not a good comparison for this at all. Look at 2009's Notorious instead (although that opened on a 4-day weekend and didn't have a gimmicky release date).

LOL... it's another film aimed mostly at a black audience....of course it's a good comparison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Did Notorious do 3.1 million in previews?