#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

• Founder / Operator

So... does this still hit 70m?

Can anyone tell me what kind of weekends we are looking at for IM3 and Gatsby?

No matter what, Disney will probably project $70 million tomorrow with studio estimates. But I'd say $69-70m is the likely range. Maybe as low as $68.5 million, but, probably not with Mother's Day.

• Like 1

With a Friday of $19.8M, I expect a Sunday right around $20.2. So, with that said, it's all about Saturday. We'll see...

I caught Gatsby last night. I see no legs there. Maybe not even legs this weekend. Could be totally wrong... Just calling it like I see it though.

SO STOKED on the Gatsby number.  Seeing it tomorrow.  Just as I thought, I've had some people tell me they loved it and a few others say they hated it.  

And while it's result should have its moment I am literally floored at that Peeples number.  It just makes no sense.  The marketing was there.  The cast and names attached were there.  The story seemed like a retelling of Meet the Parents, making it very approachable.  This is one of the biggest what went wrongs I have EVER seen.  I know a lot of people here probably don't watch Scandal but it is the biggest show out within the urban community right now and I would have bet that Kerry Washington's name would have been good for 5 million by itself.  Add in Tyler Perry producing and I thought this had a legitimate shot at 15 million since it was great counter programming.  I've seen several people say Perry can't put up numbers unless he's Madea but Why Did I get Married, Why Did I Get Married, Too and Temptation proved that that's not the case.  A bit dumbfounded with that one.

Looking at Saturday there is a clear trend.

All the May Comic Book Openers have fallen around 50% or less from their opening Saturday's

TA: 39%

SM3: 51%

IM1: 43%

IM2: 50.5%

Looking at this Saturday should be in around 30 million for IM3. 

So it will land around 70 million 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

So Gatsby doesn't win Friday afterall. 

Glad I skipped the see saw yesterday. 

TGG doesn`t win friday but that it came so damn close is a mirracle itself. It was expected to be #2 but nobody knew how big #2.

• Like 1

Looking at Saturday there is a clear trend.

All the May Comic Book Openers have fallen around 50% or less from their opening Saturday's

TA: 39%

SM3: 51%

IM1: 43%

IM2: 50.5%

Looking at this Saturday should be in around 30 million for IM3. 

So it will land around 70 million 

I was hoping for $75 but I'll take this!!

Well unlike all those films IM3 faced a 20 million dollars in competition so its possible Friday was perhaps reduced a bit a few %?

Anyways I think it should clear 30 million today. 

More Stats

Friday to Friday

Im3 Fell 71% however opening Friday including previews, In comparison Im2 fell 71% as well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Leonardo DiCaprio just proved that the May 2nd weekend curse is just something studios use to excuse the weak results of their movies.

May's 2nd weekend doesn't produce hits all the time though.

• Like 1

SO STOKED on the Gatsby number.  Seeing it tomorrow.  Just as I thought, I've had some people tell me they loved it and a few others say they hated it.  

And while it's result should have its moment I am literally floored at that Peeples number.  It just makes no sense.  The marketing was there.  The cast and names attached were there.  The story seemed like a retelling of Meet the Parents, making it very approachable.  This is one of the biggest what went wrongs I have EVER seen.  I know a lot of people here probably don't watch Scandal but it is the biggest show out within the urban community right now and I would have bet that Kerry Washington's name would have been good for 5 million by itself.  Add in Tyler Perry producing and I thought this had a legitimate shot at 15 million since it was great counter programming.  I've seen several people say Perry can't put up numbers unless he's Madea but Why Did I get Married, Why Did I Get Married, Too and Temptation proved that that's not the case.  A bit dumbfounded with that one.

While I certainly didn't hate it, I did think it was far and away Baz Luhrman's least compelling film to date in regards to storytelling, editing, musical compositions. I felt the acting trumped that of Australia though. I'd hoped for something more provocative and more memorable. Thought Baz delivered something pretty run of the mill. Just, well, pretty damn tame for Baz. Arguably more tame than Hooper's take on Les Mis.