baumer

Tuesday Numbers stid 6.8-9, IM3 2.8, TGG 2.8

• Founder / Operator

DH2 did $65.5 million in China alone, where (unless I've forgotten), Sith didn't get a release.

I'm not saying overseas admissions were equal on a relative scale between the two, but, I also don't think the disparity between the two franchises has been that big. Star Wars is a global property. Always has been. Potter out-performed it overseas not because the SW brand isn't strong, but because it had an extra 6 years of market expansion and inflation--plus the prequels were the prequels. :P

DH2 doubled RoTS' overseas gross. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Even the highest prequel overseas was still $70m below the lowest grossing Potter movie overseas (and PoA is EASILY the lowest grossing one - the only Potter that didn't top $600m overseas).

All you bring up is overseas numbers to pump up Potter. We all acknowledge that Potter is a monster overseas. But here in America, Star Wars is king. Is that so hard to understand?

DH2 did $1.341b. 

RoTS did $848.5m worldwide. Almost $500m less. Even with inflation and 3D, there was no way it could have come even within $150m of Potter.

Of course it's going to do better overseas.  Star Wars seems like something that should have more international appeal, but it didn't.  Harry Potter and LOTR have huge followings the world over because of the books.  Star Wars was going just on brand and brand alone.  

But with the overseas market going the way it is, I do agree that it's international totals will be quite massive.  

Daily Domestic Gross Tue, May. 21 2013

← previous

Wide (1000+)   # Title Tue, May. 21 2013   Locations   Avg. Total Wks. Dist. 1 Star Trek Into Darkness $6,761,446 -15% 3,868 -- $1,748 $98,446,262 1 Paramount 2 The Great Gatsby (2013) $2,858,180 5% 3,550 15 $805 $96,257,089 2 Warner Bros. 3 Iron Man 3 $2,752,186 -14% 4,237 -16 $650 $343,620,220 3 Disney 4 Pain and Gain $392,732 -2% 2,429 -874 $162 $47,505,930 4 Paramount 5 42 (2013) $267,016 6% 2,380 -550 $112 $89,334,936 6 Warner Bros. 6 Oblivion (2013) $258,775 0% 2,077 -693 $125 $86,105,380 5 Universal 7 The Croods $225,031 -35% 2,373 -277 $95 $177,594,882 9 Fox / DreamWorks Animation 8 Tyler Perry Presents Peeples $203,917 16% 2,041 0 $100 $8,248,201 2 Lionsgate 9 The Big Wedding $181,475 12% 1,443 -855 $126 $20,651,504 4 Lionsgate

Gatsby straight up doin' work...

• Like 1

Gatsby straight up doin' work...

And... another upset for the ages. Man... Gatsby is going to be remembered a thousand years from now. Kids will tell stories about it "It's said that there was once a simple man who managed to dethrone the Iron Man...with his bare hands... three times.OOOOH *GASP* NOOO"

• Founder / Operator

Of course it's going to do better overseas.  Star Wars seems like something that should have more international appeal, but it didn't.  Harry Potter and LOTR have huge followings the world over because of the books.  Star Wars was going just on brand and brand alone.  

But with the overseas market going the way it is, I do agree that it's international totals will be quite massive.  

It all comes down to quality, IMO. Give the prequels the same strong WOM that most of the Potters had, and I'll bet the overseas totals would have been more impressive.

I think we're looking at this from the wrong end of the spectrum. The prequels, despite themselves, were still huge hits worldwide/overseas. Clones is the only real exception, but, what I'm getting at is that it's not the fault of the Star Wars brand--it was that people just didn't care for the movie. Potter was consistently well-liked each time out.

• Like 1

Pain and Gain is quietly having a nice little run after it got killed by IM3 in its 2nd weekend.

It'll get some profit, or at least cut even, only from DOM numbers. With some decent overseas numbers, Paramount is going to take some profit despite ditching in the middle of hell.

• Like 1

Right you are, but it had sixteen years of hype. Come 2001, cinema gave birth to new heroes. More popular heroes.

Audiences embraced Harry, Sparrow, Frodo, and Spider-Man more. 

CoS's overseas gross was almost as much as AoTC's worldwide gross.

I am going to take the Noctis challenge. Lets compare the domestic adjusted grosses of the franchises that Noctis compared to Star Wars.

Courtesy of our friends at Box Office Mojo:  http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

First, our Potter ranks:

HP and the Sorcerer's Stone: 69th all-time

HPDH 2 : 105

HP and Goblet of Fire:  119

HP Chamber of Secrets: 121

HP Order of Phoenix: 139

HP Half Blood Prince: 154

HP Prisoner of Azkaban:   156

HPDH1:   188

Lord of Rings

Fellowship:   77 

Two Tower:  62

Return of King:   52

Spider-Man

SM1: 36

SM2:  55

SM3:  100

TASM: Too low to make the top 200 list

POTC

Curse of Black Pearl:  94

Dead Man's Chest:   46

At World's End 120

On Stranger Tides:   Too low to make the top 200 list

Now that we have seen what the other franchises have done all-time domestically, lets look at Star Wars  

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope:   2

The Empire Strikes Back: 12

Return of the Jedi:   15

A Phantom Menace: 17

Revenge of the Sith: 60

Attack of the Clones: 87  

So the highest grossing Potter movie only beat 1 Star Wars movie....Attack of the Clones. Spider-Man had 2 movies beat the lowest 2 Star Wars movies and that's it. LOTR didn't get close to Phantom Menace. And Pirates only had Dead Man's Chest beat the lowest 2 Star Wars movies.

Meanwhile, Star Wars has all 6 of its movies in the top 100 of all-time. It has 4 movies in the top 20. Only one of the other franchises listed has any movie in the top 40 (SM1 at 36). Clearly, the most popular franchise is still Star Wars. The lowest Star Wars movie (AOTC) beats every Potter movie except for one. And no movie beats the highest Star Wars movie except for Gone with the Wind.

Edited by Walt Disney

Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings are the only trilogies that really challenged Star Wars domestically.

Prequel Trilogy: 198m estimated admissions, 66m average.

Spider-Man: 179m estimated admissions, 59.6m average.

Lord of the Rings: 174m estimated admissions, 58m average.

• Like 1

With Disney running the show now, I expect some massive OS grosses. 

• Like 3

Pain and Gain is quietly having a nice little run after it got killed by IM3 in its 2nd weekend.

$50 million is right around the corner. Depending on how many theaters it loses this weekend it might even make it by Tuesday or Wednesday, but definitely by the end of May.