CJohn

Thursday Numbers | The Hangover 3 - 11.8M (includes WED night) | FF6 - 6.5M (previews + midnights)

Iron Man 3 did to Trek 2 and HO3 this year what Avengers did to Dark Shadow and Battleship last year.Not as badly but still...Keep your movie out of Marvel's opening month!bitch!

I think the Hangover 2 did that to TH3.

• Like 2

First Spider Man 3 came out and left a sour taste for Superhero fans and is a big reason why people loved IM 1 so much.

Shrek 3 was a huge stepdown from Shrek 2 and just a cash grab.

Pirates 3 looked really good but was just a really bloated film that opened huge but had bad legs.

Overseas the films all did amazing, but domestically Transformers 1 became the film of the summer to audiences. 

Nah, don't lower your expectations too much. This is just another case of people not knowing about a Thursday opening.

I said "worst case" and it's not out of question, really. I'm not convinced of Hangovers rebound on friday, yet. It's a movie much more marketable via social media, I said that before. 25m fans at facebook, they should know, that H3 is opening on thursday.

But should be more like 50-55m 4day for Hangover, Epic and STID wouldn't go that high.

On the other hand, looks like Fast 6 should be able to do up to 120m over 4days.

• Like 1

I don't think it's competition. 2007 proves that theory wrong. Trek underperforming is something of a mystery, but it could be argued that the '09 film's 250mil gross was the franchise's ceiling, and because many sequels do decrease despite a well-received original, it kinda sorta makes sense. 

Hangover 3 underperforming wouldn't be that surprising because:

A. the last one wasn't any good

B. comedy franchises almost never survive past part 2 

• Like 1

A random thing, but it seems like the gap between 2007 and 2008 is huger than most. The arrival of Iron Man and Dark Knight brought in new types of Blockbusters (the gritty dark blockbusters and the fun MCU-style blockbusters) make it seem almost as if it was the beginning of a new era of blockbuster movies.

• Like 2

A random thing, but it seems like the gap between 2007 and 2008 is huger than most. The arrival of Iron Man and Dark Knight brought in new types of Blockbusters (the gritty dark blockbusters and the fun MCU-style blockbusters) make it seem almost as if it was the beginning of a new era of blockbuster movies.

Yeah I watched IM1 a few days back and I realized it was setting up the Whole TA thing from the start... I was like wohh what a gamble. 

Patrick Akins ‏@PJAkins

First night of hangover 3, walk in the theater and its empty. What!?! So confused.

Joel ‏@JoelMCPE

Watching Hangover 3 NO one at theater so lucky

hayanyujah847 ‏@hayanyujah847

Hangover 3! There are 4 other people in the theater...ut oh!

Jami Mihelich ‏@jamimariesays

Only ones in the theaterHangover 3!!!

There are a lot of these kind of tweets.

• Like 2

May 2007 was a clusterf&*K Each film opened to around expectations or higher but grossed quite less then expected.

A shame too cause SM3 and Shrek 3 in particular could have had massive totals with their OWs and goodwill of the first 2 if WOM had been good. I think 450m+ would have been in play for both.

Yeah, the number of showtimes Hangover has a lot of theaters is wildly disproportionate to the grosses it's seeing. I'm guessing a lot of theater owners automatically assumed it'd have the same kind of business as the second.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

Iron Man 1 really has a different feel than the other MCU films IMO

It was really awkward seeing Oblivion the second weekend out (when it had good word-of-mouth) at a Friday afternoon showing with just me, my mom, and my brother. Hate an empty theater for first-run movies, especially when it's a big theater.