CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Despicable Me 2 - 34M | The Lone Ranger - 9.67M | Kevin Hart - 4.9M

What about The Sorcerer's Apprentice?That was a big dud for Disney too.

Those were the flops of 2010. Both came from Bruckheimer. The man is on slump.

Edited by CJohn

Probably been asked a million times, but when was last time July 4 was on a Thursday like today? Any notable releases especially family and/or animated movies? Just trying to find comparison for DM2.

2002 and no-unless if you really want to compare it to Powerpuff Girls.

Probably been asked a million times, but when was last time July 4 was on a Thursday like today? Any notable releases especially family and/or animated movies? Just trying to find comparison for DM2.

All action movies had small bumps. Everything else dropped.

Kids films are the most critics/review/RT proof ones. Second chick flicks. Then comedies and horros. Then normal blockbuster sequels.Original high concept sci fi films are the most RT sensitive ones, then serious dramas and thrillers, then Oscar movies, then action movies.

I wouldn't put action as the most sensitive RT films.

I agree. I can never get really excited when a movie bombs. People's jobs are at risk. Their time and effort has been squandered.

You were just in Pacific Rim thread saying it looks terrible and will only make 60m DOM. Which is it? Do you dislike it when a movie bombs or do you pile on?
  • Like 1

It's still a MEGA FLOP. 200M Budget. 90M DOM and 335M WW.......They probably lost like 100M from it.

Prince of Persia made more than 50% its budget. Mathematically, it's not a mega flop.

People need to stop casually tossing flop and bomb around like confetti without having some consistent understanding of their meaning.

• Like 3

I think bombing standards are different for a $50-70 million movie than they are for a $250 million movie. If the budget is small the movie can have a horrible theatrical run and may still make money in the long term thanks to TV and other home media sources of revenues. Movie like TLR need to make decent amount of money during their theatrical runs or they will never break even.

I wouldn't put action as the most sensitive RT films.

But kids movies are the most trailer sensitive movies - if it doesn't garner a big reaction from the kiddies... probably not going to make much money, like Planes for example :D

Action movies are in the middle - if they have an interesting premise and a good star like the Rock, or Mark Wahlberg - $20 million opening weekend is pretty guarenteed, with a few exceptions like Snitch of course.

Edited by mahnamahna

Just checked:

Lone Ranger sold out at 11:30AM, DM2 (2D) sold out at 11:15AM

DM2-1:45 PM sold out.

The big theater here has no sellouts though due to how many showings these films have. It is at one of the malls where they are sold out.We are finally going to get a IMAX though at one of the older theaters that got bought out recently and the mall that has it is updating.