AniNate

Pixels | Chris Columbus | July 24, 2015 | Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage

Really against Ant-Man, Paper Towns, Pan, Trainwreck, and MI:5 this could be successful with audiences who don't want to see the above titles as well as adults and maybe some kids(since this is PG-13 and Trainwreck is rated R) and might as well be good counterprogamming in the late summer. OW:32 million, DOM:110 million

• Like 1

They won't move Pan to Christmas because then it'll only get slaughtered by Star Wars. And it probably will be overshadowed in July too. That movie seems kinda screwed no matter since there aren't any spots open that aren't typically reserved for studio dumps.

Pan should move to august, right now there aren't any family type films there and I guess the biggest competition would be fantastic four. It's looking at a sub-30 opening in July if it doesn't move.

Don't get why the trailer didn't show Dinklage more. He's a selling point for sure. 

What. Kevin James is definitelly more important! He has a funny face! Everybody loves him! And he is doing kjokes! You kno? JOKES! The funny ones! People laugh because Kevin James. Everybody is going to see Pixels because of this funnies man on Earth.

Trololollolllolllolllolo.

• Like 1

If it makes any difference, the writer for this worked on Sandler's late 90s movies and not his most recent dreck (besides Grown Ups 2), but I must say this looks like the most appealing project he's done in a while. 

Plus, Jane Krakowski is in it, so that already offsets some things.

• Like 2

I'd say they should move it to February of 2016, like they did with Jupiter Ascending. Considered how the family audience has repeatedly shown up on the first weekend of February, that would be a beneficial move.

MLK 2016 is the best spot... August 2015 also works. 

Ride Along 2 and Nut Job 2 aren't that big of competition. Plus, American Sniper has shown a film can become a big hit during that time of year if it looks appealing enough. 

• Like 1

The second half of August is utterly dead. I could see Pan moving there, but I also wouldn't be surprised if WB just left it there against Pixels.

I'm not saying Pixels will be good or bad, or that Pan will be good or bad, but I can't imagine WB is scared of Pixels. Pixels doesn't seem like it's a movie that you can guarantee will be a big success at the BO.

• Like 1

Late August is the time of year when studios decide to dump films they know don't have even the slightest chance of succeeding to die a quick death. It's why you'll never see a big blockbuster opening within that time frame.

But didn't that also used to be February?
  • Like 1

If it makes any difference, the writer for this worked on Sandler's late 90s movies and not his most recent dreck (besides Grown Ups 2), but I must say this looks like the most appealing project he's done in a while.

If you knew how Happy Madison projects work these days, it's that regardless of who gets credited on the script, Sandler and Herlihy always get the final rewrite. They're the ones that screwed up Chuck and Larry after the draft before them was done by Oscar-winning screenwriters Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor.

Late August is the time of year when studios decide to dump films they know don't have even the slightest chance of succeeding to die a quick death. It's why you'll never see a big blockbuster opening within that time frame.

Who said late August? August 14th would work just fine. Plus, it would have 42 days between it and Hotel Transylvania 2. 

TMNT opened the second week of August and made $190 million. Pan could do at least $100 million as the last family film of the summer.

Pixels getting 35 million+ views for its trailer is obviously a signal that it will probably do at least $125 million DOM. Consider Minions is on track for $250-350 million, Ant-Man could get $150-250 million and MI5 could get $160-220 million... where's the room for Pan to really be a success? The family and tentpole audiences will be well-satisfied in late July.

By mid-August, everything except F4 will have slowed down. In comes Pan with a $35-45 million OW. 

• Like 1

Who said late August? August 14th would work just fine. Plus, it would have 42 days between it and Hotel Transylvania 2. 

TMNT opened the second week of August and made $190 million. Pan could do at least $100 million as the last family film of the summer.

Pixels getting 35 million+ views for its trailer is obviously a signal that it will probably do at least $125 million DOM. Consider Minions is on track for $250-350 million, Ant-Man could get $150-250 million and MI5 could get $160-220 million... where's the room for Pan to really be a success? The family and tentpole audiences will be well-satisfied in late July.

By mid-August, everything except F4 will have slowed down. In comes Pan with a $35-45 million OW.

WB already has The Man From U.N.C.L.E. set for August 14.