#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

Yes, soft rim.  :(

People need to worry about Elysium as every original Sci-fi has flopped this year.  :angry:  <_<

Elysium is the film I'm not worried about at all at the moment. Marketing has been stellar and District 9 was a very well received movie by people. Damon can still be a draw as well, especially in action. I'd be very shocked if it went under D9's gross right now. Really wishing I would have included it in my summer game top 15. Stupid mistake.

• Like 1

I think when a film like DM2 which costs $76m out grosses a film like The Lone Ranger which cost $250m then they might be an argument for budgets to be cut but it's not that simple as moviemaking is an expensive business and the most successful films tend to have high budgets e.g Titanic, Avatar, I do agree that some films simply have bloated budgets but others you can the money on the screen.

Budgets need to be slashed down to more reasonable levels. Then an original property like PR wouldn't be set up to flop.

Well if the budget was cut by 50M to 150M, movie still would have flopped and if the budget had been at 100M then it would be really hard to get decent CGI for it. It's a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation. Sequels are a lot less risky and with every Sci-fi flopping this year, I can see studios slowing down with original tentpoles. 2015 is the perfect example, all of the tentpoles are sequels or prequels. 

I'm more curious about WWZ.

Will it makee 10 million this weekend in USA or PR and GU2 will hurt it?

Probably, it needs more than 10 to make 200 million total USA in the end of its run.

And will it finish this weekend with 250 million overseas?

My prediction is 10 million domestic and 22 overseas, and around 428 million worldwide at the end of this weekend.

That is still way too much.

If you actually knew how they made the film, then you’d understand why the budget is the way it is. Movies aren't easy to make after all, especially ones with robots and monsters.

I think I'm gonna take a break from the box office section of the forum for a while if GU2 wins the weekend. No crybaby stuff, just that the next few weeks are going to be awfully depressing to prognosticate. 

• Like 3

So probably around 250m then with marketing. Marketing for a big budget film always costs at least 50m these days, even when it's shitty like PR's.

P&A for films like this are more in the range of 150m worldwide than 50m. If marketing was actually 50m, I wouldn't even be worried about this movie. Edited by kowhite

If you actually knew how they made the film, then you’d understand why the budget is the way it is. Movies aren't easy to make after all, especially ones with robots and monsters.

I understand how they make these films. Doesn't excuse them from spending the kind of money on them that they do. 40 years ago Hollywood was making much better films on tiny budgets compared to the amounts they are spending today, even when you adjust for inflation.

I'm more curious about WWZ.

Will it makee 10 million this weekend in USA or PR and GU2 will hurt it?

Probably, it needs more than 10 to make 200 million total USA in the end of its run.

And will it finish this weekend with 250 million overseas?

My prediction is 10 million domestic and 22 overseas, and around 428 million worldwide at the end of this weekend.

Its already success either way

Well if the budget was cut by 50M to 150M, movie still would have flopped and if the budget had been at 100M then it would be really hard to get decent CGI for it. It's a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation. Sequels are a lot less risky and with every Sci-fi flopping this year, I can see studios slowing down with original tentpoles. 2015 is the perfect example, all of the tentpoles are sequels or prequels. 

I pretty much look forward to 2015 myself, so can't say that I'm sad about the lack of original sci-fi for that year. 

To be honest, all the sci-fi this year so far have been pretty meh for me, so can't say that I'm too bothered about them flopping. I haven't seen PR yet, and I hope I will enjoy the movie (which in turn, could just make me sadder for it) I also have high hopes for Elysium and Gravity. Next year line ups look promising too.

I think I'm gonna take a break from the box office section of the forum for a while if GU2 wins the weekend. No crybaby stuff, just that the next few weeks are going to be awfully depressing to prognosticate. 

On the bright side, animation gets to rule the box office for possibly as long as 5 weeks. :D Well, bright side if you love animation like me that is.

So probably around 250m then with marketing. Marketing for a big budget film always costs at least 50m these days, even when it's shitty like PR's.

You mean marketing budget for DOM alone.

WW marketing budget for movies like PR or TLR at least is 150M+.