Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Sony has been hacked by much less before, I'm not surprised that they were so vulnerable. Even if Disney was hacked it would never have been to this scale because they've never had the security problems Sony seems to have.

Sony has been in a rough spot financially as well, less money is going to end up in less company security because there's less money and resources to go into it.

Sony wasn't just unlucky, if it had been any of those other three studios you'd still see the Interview being released this Christmas.

Yes, Sony has had a couple of infamous hacks in the past few years, but your argument of "If it had been WB or Disney it wouldn't have happened" is utter bollocks.

• Like 2

Yes, Sony has had a couple of infamous hacks in the past few years, but your argument of "If it had been WB or Disney it wouldn't have happened" is utter bollocks.

I think the response would have been more organized as with WB and Disney tens of billions is at stake. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Could you imagine if you waved your upfront fee and said nawww I'll take the backend! 

Most deals like that these days are a hard salary against points on the gross, like $5 million against 5%, they get paid whichever is higher.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Is anyone else thinking that there is more to this than what has been told to us? Like, maybe there's a strong possibility individual persons involved have received threats for their life or something along those lines. For theater chains to completely balk and then Sony to pull and then say they have no plans to release a movie that they have already invested over $40M in making seems really sketchy the more I think about it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I wonder how this would have played out if Disney was hacked.

Considering the power of Disney they likely have a private army to respond lol. 

Kim Jong-un is no match for the Magic of Disney('s lawyers). North Korea would probably become Disneyland Korea.

Edited by Sir Tiki

Satire should always have a place. Back in WWII you had Chaplin make the Great Dictator. Heck even Disney made a Donald Duck cartoon called Der Fueher's Face. (check it out it's absolutely brilliant)

Well, the problem is, that this satire only exists, because pretty much the whole world has northern korea marked as "enemy".

I'm pretty sure, that there wouldn't be such a movie about Obama or Merkel.

This is a movie, a Comedy, about killing an existing person. I personally feel, that they crossed a line there, but of course, what happend with all the hacking stuff and threads, well, that's pretty bad and it's pretty bad, that it's that easy for them, to change the way the normal life should go.

Pretty scary actually.

• Like 1

Kim Jong-un is no match for the Magic of Disney('s lawyers). North Korea would probably become Disneyland Korea.

That's another part of my point. Even if the hackers managed to hack disney (a much harder task than Sony) they wouldn't have lasted long. Disney is dangerous and has much more power than people like to think.

• Like 1

North Korea has no response to these guys 

tumblr_m4376dLOpj1qzgj88o1_500.gif

and these guys

1477316.jpg

Sony can only respond with this 

peteremo.gif

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

That's another part of my point. Even if the hackers managed to hack disney (a much harder task than Sony) they wouldn't have lasted long. Disney is dangerous and has much more power than people like to think.

Depending on the veracity of the hackers, there are other avenues to attack and establish their credibility. Such as the theaters.

• Like 1

North Korea has no response to these guys 

And that is, where I don't get at all what just happend. They always talk, they always threat in Northern Korea. Pretty much every day. Posing in front of fake Stuff.

Everybody is laughing about Northern Korea all the time and now they cancel a 40m project because of them? This feels very strange to me...

• Like 2

Depending on the veracity of the hackers, there are other avenues to attack and establish their credibility. Such as the theaters.

I just don't think anyone could really take down Disney at this moment, their economic empire is to strong. These hackers destroying Sony is something that could never happen to Disney (as they are right now), at the very least no where near to that extent.

• Like 1

Well, the problem is, that this satire only exists, because pretty much the whole world has northern korea marked as "enemy".

I'm pretty sure, that there wouldn't be such a movie about Obama or Merkel.

This is a movie, a Comedy, about killing an existing person. I personally feel, that they crossed a line there, but of course, what happend with all the hacking stuff and threads, well, that's pretty bad and it's pretty bad, that it's that easy for them, to change the way the normal life should go.

Pretty scary actually.

I'm okay with ruthless dictators getting their feelings hurt.

• Like 6

I just don't think anyone could really take down Disney at this moment, their economic empire is to strong. These hackers destroying Sony is something that could never happen to Disney (as they are right now), at the very least no where near to that extent.

Right, I don't think a complete taken down of Disney films is probably achievable, but the culprit is probably capable of preventing the film being released. Instead of attacking the source, you attack the middleman. In that sense, that still doesn't solve the issue of the precedent being set here today.

Right, I don't think a complete taken down of Disney films is probably achievable, but the culprit is probably capable of preventing the film being released. Instead of attacking the source, you attack the middleman. In that sense, that still doesn't solve the issue of the precedent being set here today.

But then they still didn't hack Disney to this extent, plus in that situation I think Disney is powerful enough to pretty much force those studios to release their movie.

• Like 1