Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Not sure if this should be spoilered or not since it's a rumor....

But my (semi-)cheeky reaction:

Spoiler

Please let there be a secret Nazi Moon Base.

Only kinda kidding. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Not sure if this should be spoilered or not since it's a leak???

But my (semi-)cheeky response:

Hide contents

Only kinda kidding. :ph34r:

7:05 and onward…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Hide contents

What is this about Indy in space???

Mangold gave me hope for this, please don't tell me Disney/Lucasfilm is going to make it total bullshit

Spoiler

Space Race.  I was just riffing on the Nazis on the Moon trope, and I guess Tele ran with it. 👍

But, still.  If you got Nazi Rocket Scientists Working For the US (who then go bad), well... :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Mango said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mangold gave me hope for this, please don't tell me Disney/Lucasfilm is going to make it total bullshit

That's a really odd way to judge things...

James Mangold is both writer and director of this movie. If the story would include elements that you don't like, why on earth would you blame that on Disney or Lucasfilm and not the person who is actually creating the story?

Does anyone really believe that Mangold would write and direct a story that isn't to his liking?

Sounds rather like selective picking to me, e.g. "I like a director, he did something I didn't like, therefore someone else must have been the problem". That's little different from the nonsense about Kennedy, and how she is somehow personally responsible for anything "bad" in Star Wars, yet does not get one ounce of praise for the "good" things she had the exact same role in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, George Parr said:

James Mangold is both writer and director of this movie. If the story would include elements that you don't like, why on earth would you blame that on Disney or Lucasfilm and not the person who is actually creating the story?

Does anyone really believe that Mangold would write and direct a story that isn't to his liking?

To offer a fair counterpoint: Filmmakers compromise all the time for big studio product.  If Lucasfilm/Spielberg/Disney comes to Mangold and offers him the keys to the Indiana Jones kingdom (no pun intended), do you think he or almost anyone else wouldn't be agreeable to at least a bit of compromise/debate on story/approach?  I'm sure Mangold's as work-with-able as any other top tier filmmaker worth their salt...if they weren't, they don't get to the level they do on studio productions.  Mangold is a splendid storyteller who I think has only gotten better with each film lately, and I'm sure he'll be willing to fight for what he believes is the right vision for this...but he wouldn't have gotten the job unless they knew he would be able to "work with them" too.  

Indeed, I think everyone is putting the cart ahead of the horse in terms of worrying about said possible plot point.  It would be nice if there weren't a "nuke the fridge" moment here...but we'll see.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

To offer a fair counterpoint: Filmmakers compromise all the time for big studio product.  If Lucasfilm/Spielberg/Disney comes to Mangold and offers him the keys to the Indiana Jones kingdom (no pun intended), do you think he or almost anyone else wouldn't be agreeable to at least a bit of compromise/debate on story/approach?  I'm sure Mangold's as work-with-able as any other top tier filmmaker worth their salt...if they weren't, they don't get to the level they do on studio productions.  Mangold is a splendid storyteller who I think has only gotten better with each film lately, and I'm sure he'll be willing to fight for what he believes is the right vision for this...but he wouldn't have gotten the job unless they knew he would be able to "work with them" too.  

Indeed, I think everyone is putting the cart ahead of the horse in terms of worrying about said possible plot point.  It would be nice if there weren't a "nuke the fridge" moment here...but we'll see.  

That's just a theoretical exercise though. They went through multiple writers with multiple stories already. There isn't really any reason to assume that they are hellbend on one specific story, to the point that they would tell Mangold that he would need to focus on it.

Who exactly would tell them to focus on a story anyway? Lucas? He isn't involved with the movie. Spielberg? He may still be involved in some capacity, but he was hardly interested in the space stuff the last time around, so why would he force the issue now?

That leaves Harrison Ford, and he wasn't really into anything involving aliens either.

There are always people who worry about something, just like there are people who automatically assume that every rumour they hear must be true, regardless of how valid the source or how uncertain some elements may be.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

I mean I honestly don't see why setting it during the space race is a bad thing. Timeline-wise it makes sense, and there's a lot of earth-based adventure stuff you could do with NASA, nazi scientists, and whatever else. Don't even see that as a guarantee that Indy himself will be going to space.

And if people are worried about aliens, FYI the ones in Crystal Skull were actually inter-dimensional and not extraterrestrial, so not sure why they'd show up again either.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cookie said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I mean I honestly don't see why setting it during the space race is a bad thing. Timeline-wise it makes sense, and there's a lot of earth-based adventure stuff you could do with NASA, nazi scientists, and whatever else. Don't even see that as a guarantee that Indy himself will be going to space.

And if people are worried about aliens, FYI the ones in Crystal Skull were actually inter-dimensional and not extraterrestrial, so not sure why they'd show up again either.

Spoiler

Setting the film during the space race makes sense if they’re setting it during that era. As far as I’m aware nobody is saying that Indy is blasting off into space to fight Nazi’s on the moon. There’s a whole lot of assumptions going on here based on very little real information.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Firstly, I think way too many people are reading too much into this.

During the Cold War, America hired a bunch of Nazis to work on the Space Program, this is a matter of historical fact. They're most likely just incorporating this into the story as a plot point to explain why the villain is yet another Nazi. 

Second of all, things like aliens being too implausible for this franchise went out the window the moment the first movie ended with God coming out of a box to melt the faces of a bunch of Nazis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:
  Hide contents

Are we even sure the villain of this movie will be a Nazi? That seems like something that a modern Disney movie would try to avoid.

Spoiler

Red herring, maybe?

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Um...why??  

Spoiler

Indiana Jones and Nazis go together like bread and butter???  Are Nazis human beings now???

Taika was allowed to do JOJO, I think the studio has no problem with this...and I can't understand why they would.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Um...why??  

Hide contents

Indiana Jones and Nazis go together like bread and butter???  Are Nazis human beings now???

Taika was allowed to do JOJO, I think the studio has no problem with this...and I can't understand why they would.  

Spoiler

When Disney remade The Lion King, they changed the part where the hyenas did the Nazi salute during the “Be Prepared” sequence. Also, Jojo Rabbit was made before Disney acquired Fox and it isn’t part of what’s meant to be a big franchise that’s supposed to sell toys. 

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

Um...why??  

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Um, yes. Nazis have always been human beings, that's kind of the point. It is rather ridiculous to portray them as anything but human beings, as such a thing would imply that those acts weren't done by humans but by some sort of monsters, thus not being something a "regular" human could do. That is obviously the exact opposite of what you want to portray.

That being said, this is a pulp action series, with over the top villains. I really don't see any reason why Disney would somehow stay away from Nazis as villains if that is what the story would ask for. If they are fine with space Nazis, the destruction of whole planets, and killing the entire main cast of the movie, there really isn't any reason to assume that Nazis in an adventure-movie would be any kind of issue.

3 hours ago, George Parr said:
  Hide contents

Um, yes. Nazis have always been human beings, that's kind of the point. It is rather ridiculous to portray them as anything but human beings, as such a thing would imply that those acts weren't done by humans but by some sort of monsters, thus not being something a "regular" human could do. That is obviously the exact opposite of what you want to portray.

That being said, this is a pulp action series, with over the top villains. I really don't see any reason why Disney would somehow stay away from Nazis as villains if that is what the story would ask for. If they are fine with space Nazis, the destruction of whole planets, and killing the entire main cast of the movie, there really isn't any reason to assume that Nazis in an adventure-movie would be any kind of issue.

Spoiler

The difference between Space Nazis and actual Nazis is that Space Nazis never actually existed, so it’s less of a sensitive topic. 

5 hours ago, George Parr said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OK, I'll put "human beings" in quotes... obviously we know most of them were...  😂  But you know what I'm saying.  

Never underestimate Disney's conservatism, yes... but I find it hard to believe they'd have any issue with this plot point...

But yes, it would probably still be allowed to be more interesting and nuanced under different studio.  

Although my assertion is that most major Hollywood studios are more conservative now than they have ever been...and it's boring.

• Thanks 1