Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

The scene looks ok for what it is. But it's a complete downgrade from anything the Berg has shot in regards to the franchise. The entire scene is shot like a dialogue scene (consisting mostly of shot reverse shots) and it feels like they could be on a treadmill. The Berg would've included wider shots so that we get a sense of the environment and how the characters are interacting with it.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

My point is no one before you did. The "alt-right" had not relation to the conversation that was happening on here, unless that was some attempt to reframe the conversation as "all the haters are alt-right".

A lot of the convo on Twitter seems to revolve more about alleged leaks about plot points that seem to upset the incel / alt-right crowd more than people playing armchair photography pundits. So yeah, I’m calling what it is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why would this scene need wider shots? It's a tight street. The video perfectly shows claustrophobia of the scene

Well, it doesn't feel like they are on a street. Idk, I feel like the majority of shots of a chase sequence shouldn't be mid-shots of characters talking to each other, but that's me. It's focused so much of the dialogue, it doesn't feel like a chase scene.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Poor Indiana Jones can’t have a very much Indiana Jones sequence without being overanalyzed into oblivion. The scene is great and I’m mad that I fell for it and watched it. Much rather wait to see the whole thing as it is intended, at the biggest movie screen I can find.

31 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

A lot of the convo on Twitter seems to revolve more about alleged leaks about plot points that seem to upset the incel / alt-right crowd more than people playing armchair photography pundits. So yeah, I’m calling what it is.

Well, thankfully I don't go look around for what those circles are mad about and the only criticisms I've seen so far about this scene specifically has been about craft.

Clip discourse is insane. It's taken totally out of context and studios always put out a relatively random scene from the movie. I agree it's nothing great or mind-blowing (my biggest fear of the movie is that the action will be mediocre, especially compared to the incredible sequences from the previous films).

That being said this is from the scene that leaked from SW Celebration. Having seen the whole thing, it's probably the weakest part of the scene, which was quite good. We'll also have a good idea of reviews on Thursday regardless.

Had a browse of the Indiana Jones Reddit. The more interesting thing is how crystal skull has, like the prequels but to a far lesser extent, had something of a rehabilitation. Although, like the prequels, it doesn’t seem to amount to anything more than “I saw it when I was 10 and everything I saw at that age is good so shut up.”

Edited by Hatebox

There's never been a good clip released from a movie ever. I've never watched a clip on like a talk show and said "wow, that makes me want to see this movie more." Applies to plenty of amazing movies.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Had a browse of the Indiana Jones Reddit. The more interesting thing is how crystal skull has, like the prequels but to a far lesser extent, had something of a rehabilitation. Although, like the prequels, it doesn’t seem to amount to anything more than “I saw it when I was 10 and everything I saw at that age is good so shut up.”

I dread the day when The Emoji Movie becomes this "unfairly maligned classic" from people who watched the movie when they were 7. People need to acknowledge that just because you liked something as a kid doesn't mean you still have to like it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I am a defender of it. Think the action scenes (especially the opening) are pretty great. There are plenty of annoying bits, it's definitely too reliant on CGI, the last 20 minutes is mediocre, and it is thin in its characterization, though I don't think Spielberg really is all that interested in going deep on Indiana Jones (I think Dial of Destiny will be, for better or worse).

5 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

I dread the day when The Emoji Movie becomes this "unfairly maligned classic" from people who watched the movie when they were 7. People need to acknowledge that just because you liked something as a kid doesn't mean you still have to like it.

Its almost like its a kids movie or something.