Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

On 4/7/2023 at 3:44 PM, Jonwo said:

The deal Lucas did with Paramount was for five films so after Dial of Destiny, they will have no financial involvement in anything Disney decides to do with Indiana Jones in the future.

It's interesting that after Star Wars that Lucasfilm didn't do the same sort of deal for Indiana Jones but I guess it was a riskier project.

The first Star Wars film was a very risky project; Lucas had a real struggle to get it funded, and even them Fox did not consider it a major release; it was considered a sort of throw away movie that might do OK with the kids. Watch any of the documentaries on the making of the FIrst Star Wars move.

Fox was only willing to do a single picture deal with Lucas; after ANH became one of the most sucessful movie in film history, Lucas could pretty much dictate his terms with Fox for the sequels.

WIth Indy, Lucas reputation made it not that risky a movie, but Paramount deal made sure they did not give away as much as Fox had to when they had to make a deal fater ANH Opened.

Lucas might have been the victim of his own sucess in a way.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:26 AM, Hatebox said:

I assume this is set in the 60s, then? Funny to think that if Indy had aged as much as Ford has since Raiders this would actually take place in the in 1976.

Well,uh, it being in the 1960' and Indy being a sort of person out of his time was the main point of the first forty secons of the trailer. The Rolling Stones "Sympathy With THe Devil" that came out in 1969 being the background music is sort of a giveaway also.

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Well,uh, it being in the 1960' and Indy being a sort of person out of his time was the main point of the first forty secons of the trailer. The Rolling Stones "Sympathy With THe Devil" that came out in 1969 being the background music is sort of a giveaway also.

Indy would’ve also been out of place in the cocaine 70s. It’d have been at least as funny. 

But yes, my tiny mind was able to fathom a 60s song being suggestive of the time period, hence the ‘I assume’.

Edited by Hatebox

This ranked only #11 of Fandango most anticipated films of the Summer. That’s not good for a film in an iconic franchise and with a budget of $300M+. I know its main audience is boomer so I hope they can come out for this. There’s a chance for this to outright flop especially considering the competition. 

26 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

This ranked only #11 of Fandango most anticipated films of the Summer. That’s not good for a film in an iconic franchise and with a budget of $300M+. I know its main audience is boomer so I hope they can come out for this. There’s a chance for this to outright flop especially considering the competition. 

I think we are seeing a hatred of boomers in this thread.

I am betting that a lot of people were saying that nobody but boomers cared about Tom Gun Maverick last year before it opened.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This will easily have great legs throughout July and August. Re-watched KoTCS last weekend and it wasn't even that bad! Although, I feel some elements from that movie will also be here.

Idk, Mangold has a pretty solid resume and there is no indication of Marion or his kid being in this movie who were introduced in that entry. We shall see.

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This will easily have great legs throughout July and August. Re-watched KoTCS last weekend and it wasn't even that bad! Although, I feel some elements from that movie will also be here.

Crystal Skull was not so much overall bad as it was mediocre. And that is just not good enough for a Indy Jones movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Austin said:

Idk, Mangold has a pretty solid resume and there is no indication of Marion or his kid being in this movie who were introduced in that entry. We shall see.

I understand Mutt will not be in it, but he will be mentioned. 

Anyone worried a Spielberg-less “Indiana Jones” movie might not deliver the goods can now rest easy, as Spielberg himself loved the latest sequel.

“I just had that experience two nights ago,” Spielberg said at the Time 100 Summit when asked what it’s like watching an “Indiana Jones” movie he didn’t direct. “Bob Iger had a screening for a lot of the Disney executives and I came to the screening along with the director James Mangold. Everybody loved the movie. It’s really, really a good Indiana Jones film. I’m really proud of what Jim has done with it.” 

Spielberg added, “When the lights came up I just turned to the group and said, ‘Damn! I thought I was the only one who knew how to make one of these.” 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/steven-spielberg-praises-indiana-jones-5-dial-of-destiny-1235594240/ 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Anyone worried a Spielberg-less “Indiana Jones” movie might not deliver the goods can now rest easy, as Spielberg himself loved the latest sequel.

“I just had that experience two nights ago,” Spielberg said at the Time 100 Summit when asked what it’s like watching an “Indiana Jones” movie he didn’t direct. “Bob Iger had a screening for a lot of the Disney executives and I came to the screening along with the director James Mangold. Everybody loved the movie. It’s really, really a good Indiana Jones film. I’m really proud of what Jim has done with it.” 

Spielberg added, “When the lights came up I just turned to the group and said, ‘Damn! I thought I was the only one who knew how to make one of these.” 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/steven-spielberg-praises-indiana-jones-5-dial-of-destiny-1235594240/ 

Can we get Tom Cruise to weigh in on this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Is he implying Lucas can't make one?

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

while the movie could be good would you expect Spielberg to say anything different?

Yes, he could be way less excited than he is talking about it

Or being Spielberg he could just not talk about it all quality-wise, i never saw he talking this type of things about Jurassic World and he also produced those 

• Like 4