Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Anyone worried a Spielberg-less “Indiana Jones” movie might not deliver the goods can now rest easy, as Spielberg himself loved the latest sequel.

“I just had that experience two nights ago,” Spielberg said at the Time 100 Summit when asked what it’s like watching an “Indiana Jones” movie he didn’t direct. “Bob Iger had a screening for a lot of the Disney executives and I came to the screening along with the director James Mangold. Everybody loved the movie. It’s really, really a good Indiana Jones film. I’m really proud of what Jim has done with it.” 

Spielberg added, “When the lights came up I just turned to the group and said, ‘Damn! I thought I was the only one who knew how to make one of these.” 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/steven-spielberg-praises-indiana-jones-5-dial-of-destiny-1235594240/ 

I remember Spielberg saw Phantom Menace with Lucas before the opening and he enthusiastically praised it.

Of course, it could be different this time

6 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I´ll just give him the benefit of doubt and convince myself he just doesn´t know about the rollout lol 

Because i simply can´t comprehend someone thinking ´´how could Disney save the actual movie or the surprises of it for Cannes instead of screening in CinemaCon, of course it´s because it sucks´´ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Yes. 

Exhibitor Relations just made my "Sources not to be trusted" list with that one

Maybe the film will dissapoint at the box office, but to say Disney does not have confidence in it is just bat crap crazy.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Is he seriously implying Disney isn´t confident about a movie they´re sending to Cannes and allowing reviews 45 days before release? 

To be presumably overly charitable, nothing will be "this summer's TG: Maverick" because Maverick was a once in a decade box office run. If you have a film as crowd pleasing as TG: Maverick it really seems to make sense to get people to see it as soon as possible. WB execs are clearly trying to mimic semi-organic word of mouth marketing for Maverick (due to film's abnormally long delay between shooting and release).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

To be presumably overly charitable, nothing will be "this summer's TG: Maverick" because Maverick was a once in a decade box office run. If you have a film as crowd pleasing as TG: Maverick it really seems to make sense to get people to see it as soon as possible. WB execs are clearly trying to mimic semi-organic word of mouth marketing for Maverick (due to film's abnormally long delay between shooting and release).  

Definitely, it´s not even about the gross, NWH grossed more and A2 grossed similar, but the run is truly something that only happens a while, it´s not just because it´s good but because it´s a cultural phenomenon

I do think Indy have room to explode if reception is amazing and older audiences get hooked by it, but i´m definitely not seeing a 700M DOM for any movie this year, no matter how good it is 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

haven’t movies like Solo, The Da Vinci Code, and Godzilla 1998 screen at Cannes?

Solo screened 10 days before release, Da Vinci Code only 2 days before release, and Godzilla had already opened in the US when it screened at Cannes (as the closing film for that year's festival - you learn something new every day!).

Indy's window between its Cannes screening and theatrical release is a helluva lot bigger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Definitely, it´s not even about the gross, NWH grossed more and A2 grossed similar, but the run is truly something that only happens a while, it´s not just because it´s good but because it´s a cultural phenomenon

I do think Indy have room to explode if reception is amazing and older audiences get hooked by it, but i´m definitely not seeing a 700M DOM for any movie this year, no matter how good it is 

As far as the story goes, it's about them implying Disney has no confidence in the film. That is just plain stupid. Disney might be mistaken (though I don't think they are) but they sure as hell have confidence in the film to do what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

This is the movie I expected to see the least amount of internet hate/naysayers, yet here we are! The last 4 movies were solid successes.

I honestly think it is a bunch of Gen Zers trying to thumb their nose at the Boomers and Gen Xers.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

haven’t movies like Solo, The Da Vinci Code, and Godzilla 1998 screen at Cannes?

Well Da Vinci Code was a huge hit, and Godzilla 1998 was a solid hit, though not another Independence Day like people thought it would be.

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Not 6 weeks before release, which is obviously a lot different than something like Da Vinci Code that screened at May 17 to release on May 19 or Godzilla that even was released already 

Showing any movie 45 days before release and automatically allowing full reviews is 100% sign of confidence, there´s no discussion about that. 

Can it blow up in their faces? Yes, but they´re certainly not expecting that.

• Like 3