Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't think Paramount had much to do with the actual making of the film, they just have some residual rights because o ftheir contract with Lucasfilms, which carried over to Disney.

Paramount gave Disney the film rights to Indiana Jones some years ago. Paramount gets some financial considerations for every Indiana Jones movie that Disney makes. It has never been reported what those financial considerations are. However, Paramount has had nothing to do with the making of this film. This is solely a Disney film.

• Like 1

I think this looks OK but something is off to me. I guess it's just me unable to really vibe with seeing a modernized Indy (I'm not talking about having Phoebe co-lead). I know KOTCS had plenty of CGI elements and all but still...I can't quite articulate it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Paramount gave Disney the film rights to Indiana Jones some years ago. Paramount gets some financial considerations for every Indiana Jones movie that Disney makes. It has never been reported what those financial considerations are. However, Paramount has had nothing to do with the making of this film. This is solely a Disney film.

That is pretty much what I heard.

I am sure Paramount will get a cut of the profits from this.

And I think Disney will be happy to give the fans what they want with the Paramount Mountain opening.

And because it is Passover/Easter I have tomention they did somethng with the Paramount Mountain in the opening of De Mille's "Ten Commandments" they changed the Paramount Mountain to Mt.Sinai.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

That is pretty much what I heard.

I am sure Paramount will get a cut of the profits from this.

And I think Disney will be happy to give the fans what they want with the Paramount Mountain opening.

And because it is Passover/Easter I have tomention they did somethng with the Paramount Mountain in the opening of De Mille's "Ten Commandments" they changed the Paramount Mountain to Mt.Sinai.

The deal Lucas did with Paramount was for five films so after Dial of Destiny, they will have no financial involvement in anything Disney decides to do with Indiana Jones in the future.

It's interesting that after Star Wars that Lucasfilm didn't do the same sort of deal for Indiana Jones but I guess it was a riskier project.

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Isn't Mangold attached to Swamp Thing? I would imagine Star Wars would take priority.

He's also gearing up to shoot his Bob Dylan biopic later this year, so both of these won't be starting production for another 2 or 3 years at least.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, Firepower said:

Sorry, Sheldon, but I haven't seen a single discussion about some leaked clips. If there are alternate endings and they leaked, it would've  been all over the news.

Well I trust some guys more than others Firepower and if they said they saw footage I believe them. This film was going through massive reshoots for a reason. And I saw what could be legit stuff as well. All I know someone gets shot and it lines up with the alledged bad reviewed first endings of the dial of destiny. Not the first I've seen leaked screening  footage or anyone else here on high profile films. Why you think it's impossible is beyond me brother. But we can agree to disagree.

I'm going to wait to hear that all the possible bad last acts and  horrible endings removed or I'm good with indy 4. Really hoping the reshoots have given us the indy send off we wanted and it's a happy one.

I want no Logan ending for indys last adventure period. And hold on, because you havent saw discussions that mean leaks dont exist?? Lol- You must not be doing enough search brother fire. Because im in some on youtube right now and thats all fans are discussing and many discussions are on reddit that i cant post here. Many feel the same like I do and won't be rushing out to see this. And for good reason( K. Kennedy)

Also Many felt it was legit footage Not fake. Time will tell though. 🔥🦝👍. Fingers crossed 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

7 hours ago, MrPink said:

I think this looks OK but something is off to me. I guess it's just me unable to really vibe with seeing a modernized Indy (I'm not talking about having Phoebe co-lead). I know KOTCS had plenty of CGI elements and all but still...I can't quite articulate it.

What do you think? The trailer gave me hope this can still be that Maverick or better hit if all goes well. Hah hah at the sky dive free fall moment. Harrison still the man! He's good in Yellowstone 1923 as well

I'm also not too keen on the digital sheen and the amount of CGI but lets see how it goes.

That de-aging looks like a genuine magic trick, just wow.

The uncompressed version looks 10x better, and if my eyes don't deceive me there's a fine layer of film grain been added, not too dissimilar to the amount in Top Gun: Maverick which really went a long way making the image feel more natural. 

https://files.muffinworld.net/share/bhtP3zdT 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 3

On 4/7/2023 at 12:11 PM, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah the word is it's a strong movie, which makes sense considering Lucasfilm gave him a Star Wars movie immediately after, without even waiting for the reception.

James Mangold doing James Mangold things.

I'm enjoying this film's asthetic. Can't remember if I read it here or on Reddit a while back, but someone compared it to Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow, and I can't get that out of my head. I'll take this "digital shine" over Marvel's shoddy green screening or the Lucasfilm Volume's lack of dynamic lighting/shading on a space-limited set.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

Would say this looks better than KotCS (a film I enjoy and think has some rather standout action scenes) since that, despite clear effort, still had too much Janusz-milky flair over the classic, practical look of the original 3. This one still doesn't have as much of a stripped-down look as I would have liked, but it gets closer. They also clearly shot as much as possible on practical locations/sets, the chase scene in Morocco in particular looks great.

Also, the face de-aging, while not absolutely perfect, is the best I've seen considering the challenges of fully applying it to a massive action set piece with significant lighting changes. Still interested to see/hear what Ford moves and sounds like in the flashback, though it seems like they used a body double for the really stunt heavy stuff there.

Overall, very excited for it. Indy is one of my absolute favorite franchises. I've been hopeful (even against better judgement) the whole time for this, but got especially excited since reading about what Mangold was trying to accomplish. By leaning into the whole age thing, not treating it only as a joke, but as an actual thematic underpinning of the story seems to be the best way to actually counteract the whole, "am I supposed to believe Indy is still having adventures as a geriatric!" take that seems to most plague the very idea of this movie.

Looks like that faith is paying off with Disney's clear confidence in it.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 1