Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well for Pixar, they had Up and Inside Out at Cannes and those were very warmly received.

Not sure what the history of not-in-competition movies there are outside of Star Wars III though.

Normally great, no studios send big movies to premiere at Cannes this early without expect great reception 

I’ve seen movies out of competition getting even better reviews than the ones competing (see Mad Max Fury Road) 

The 3 movies Pixar send was top tier (Up / Inside Out / Soul which didn’t screened because of covid) 

LucasFilm was expecting great things for sure, there’s no way to spin this, it simply backfire on their faces which is not common

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So those bad test screenings Ruimy reported on were accurate after all

It wasn’t, the plot points from test screenings was bullshit 

We had actual insiders like ViewerAnon and EC saying they heard great things, they wasn’t expecting this at all or this would never send to be trashed 45 days before release

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Normally great, no studios send big movies to premiere at Cannes this early without expect great reception 

I’ve seen movies out of competition getting even better reviews than the ones competing (see Mad Max Fury Road) 

The 3 movies Pixar send was top tier (Up / Inside Out / Soul which didn’t screened because of covid) 

LucasFilm was expecting great things for sure, there’s no way to spin this, it simply backfire on their faces which is not common

Yep, they were clearly expecting this to get great reviews. But they also seem to be totally out of touch on the movie side of things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So those bad test screenings Ruimy reported on were accurate after all

You think Disney would premiere - with reviews - a big franchise film that tested poorly 42 days before release?

DIAL OF DESTINY had no public test screenings.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Better hope the positive reviews come in soon or this early screening will be a huge backfire 

I was wondering when Paramount announces they are having huge Saturday/Sunday PLF only previews for MI7 on July 8/9 after these reviews...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, SoSaysI said:

Yep, they were clearly expecting this to get great reviews. But they also seem to be totally out of touch on the movie side of things.

The problem is most likely the fact that they don’t test the movie with audiences 

There are reports of MCU projects with great internal test screenings that was bad received (Eternals / Thor 4), the same is happening with LucasFilm 

5 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

And some thought this would win the summer.

It’s literally 4 reviews saying it’s bad

I’m not saying it will be colossal or anything like that but some folks are being wayyyyy too reactionary

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Remember when No Time To Die shocked people with how low it went? Same idea. Legendary brand billed as the grand finale of an icon. People ignore months of mediocre trailer views and tracking. Gets slightly disappointing reviews. Has an aging and white audience in a time when that's the worst demographic to release a movie to. Same thing. This has worse reviews but that had worse COVID situation so I'll call it even.

I agree it's obviously not doing Ghostbusters: Afterlife numbers WORLDWIDE. But if you don't think it can do 50/150 domestically like NTTD, keep dreaming.

I thought NTTD got pretty solid reviews?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Remember when No Time To Die shocked people with how low it went? Same idea. Legendary brand billed as the grand finale of an icon. People ignore months of mediocre trailer views and tracking. Gets slightly disappointing reviews. Has an aging and white audience in a time when that's the worst demographic to release a movie to. Same thing. This has worse reviews but that had worse COVID situation so I'll call it even.

I agree it's obviously not doing Ghostbusters: Afterlife numbers WORLDWIDE. But if you don't think it can do 50/150 domestically like NTTD, keep dreaming.

100% agree (although I think it's still in my big $200-$300M DOM pot of movies, unless reviews get even worse)...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I was wondering when Paramount announces they are having huge Saturday/Sunday PLF only previews for MI7 on July 8/9 after these reviews...

Can they do that? Doesn't DIsney have that date reserved for Indy? Aren't there contracts in place?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12101013/BRIAN-VINER-reviews-Indiana-Jones-Dial-Destiny.html

3/5

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review-harrison-ford-phoebe-waller-bridge-b1082225.html

3/5

Funny to note that Vanity Fair, The Times, indiewire, and The Irish Times were all identically negative/mixed about Dune when the early reviews hit (same critics) and TotalFilm, Empire, Deadline, Independent, Guardian, Evening Standard, TheWrap, South China Morning Post and DailyMail were positive (but to different degrees usually heavily favoring Dune). Out of like 16 reviews total so far that's a pretty wild overlap. 

EDIT: And now we can add David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter as one of the similarly negative reviews for both movies.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1