Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

7 hours ago, Maggie said:

If the movie is bad, nothing and nobody can save it. I have some reservations about the MI:DR quality

yeah me too

will it be the greatest movie of all time or not?

2 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Two possibilities:

1) People in Disney are genuinely deluded enough to think the movie is good when it is hot trash

2) Iger knows that the movie is shit and he wants to parade that fact out to everyone. He wants this movie to fail hard so that he finally has a reason to fire Kennedy (even though by now you have to be stupid to want to work with her with her track record of firing creatives). The fact that trades are shitting on the movie is shocking as they are usually shills, which suggests that they have been ordered to shit on the movie by someone. 

Dude, take off the tinfoil. It was just a miscalculation. Get a grip.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Eric Toretto said:

Dude, take off the tinfoil. It was just a miscalculation. Get a grip.

It would be a gross miscalculation and bores badly for the future of Disney if they genuinely thought that everyone would love an Indy film with bad CGI and shoddy virtual production shots everywhere. 

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

It would be a gross miscalculation and bores badly for the future of Disney if they genuinely thought that everyone would love an Indy film with bad CGI and shoddy virtual production shots everywhere. 

Cool. This hyperbolic and conspiratorial nonsense is still idiotic garbage that isn’t allowed on this forum. Don’t do this crap again or you will see warning points and threadbans coming your way.

• Like 3

This is usually the part where I smugly post the “I hate being right all the time” gif (if you say a blockbuster will be bad then far more often than not you’re right) but I can’t do that here because I really did think Mangold would pull it off. Sounds like its biggest problem is that it’s just kind of dull.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Yeah this has so much going against it.

They already tried the nostalgia sequel and it became an example of just bad filmmaking in general rather than even a bad sequel.

CGI young Indie, not convinced audiences have embraced this technology. Personally I think it’s too much like the studio patting you on the head and saying “see!” - Star Wars is the only one to really embrace it and it’s not exactly flying right now. Captain Marvel it worked but I suspect a lot of the audience just didn’t notice. It’s amazing how bad Lucas Film took their understanding gof why Solo bombed.

I like PWB but she’s not exactly star quality for the secondary lead in a 300M film?

Finally it’s a direct sequel to a 1980s franchise. 

How it got that budget is beyond me - obviously it’s mostly Harrison and their CGI recreation but that’s a reason not to go into development to begin with. Probably opens decentish but unless it gets a surprise audience response it’ll drop fast.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Lol I can see this flopping now especially with that budget. Who in the hell in Lucasfilm thought that it would be a good idea to screen this early??? 

I kind of get Eternals vibes. It’s super easy to get too sucked up in your own feelings especially in the creative industry. I guess the rumours Disney were super excited for it were true but I think that covered up the fac

Expecting a change of marketing tactic from nostalgia to focusing on action. Mangold probably just the wrong fit for the franchise again with parralells to Eternals. Abrams probably would have been a better fit (not suggesting he was in the running or interested) in terms of the sort of action sequences Indiana needs.

• Like 1

Did we already forget, Mario just did gangbusters with pretty poor reviews? We'll see about critics consensus when more reviews come in and more importantly, how audiences will react. Maybe critics are just too cynical these days to enjoy a simple adventure romp. As much as i love Indy, the old movies are just that, nothing more. And sometimes they get viewed at through rose colored glasses. Temple of Doom is really not that great. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned, i'm still looking forward to Ford doing his schtick. Maybe i'm just easy to please. :)

p.s.

I think some of you are way overreacting. Reviews do impact the opening but not as much as some may think, i believe. As for online polls, they might not always reflect the "real" interest amongst the general audience, especially for an old IP like Indy. Tbh, i'm not overly concerned, it is the last Indy with Ford anyway, even if it is the movie of the year.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I like PWB but she’s not exactly star quality for the secondary lead in a 300M film?

Between this and the 60m Apple TV development fee that resulted in absolutely nothing she’s certainly made the most from a micro-budget cult tv success. Honestly, hats off to her. 

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Flash is absolutely going to blast this out of existence even with the burden of being a DCU movie.

Still think Beetle and Aqua2 should have been punted though.

What a dismal end to the Indy series. They should have just said "Last Crusade was the end". He literally rides off into the sunset at the end!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Call me square. I’m extremely excited for this. Maybe even more so than Across the Spider-Verse. I actually think Mangold will prove that he pulled it off after all.

And we rating standing ovations now? Okay, we are rating standing ovations now.

Ok think this is a mix up....Harrison got a big ovation but the movie got luke warm reception

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Did we already forget, Mario just did gangbusters with pretty poor reviews? We'll see about critics consensus when more reviews come in and more importantly, how audiences will react. Maybe critics are just too cynical these days to enjoy a simple adventure romp. As much as i love Indy, the old movies are just that, nothing more. And sometimes they get viewed at through rose colored glasses. Temple of Doom is really not that great. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned, i'm still looking forward to Ford doing his schtick. Maybe i'm just easy to please. :)

p.s.

I think some of you are way overreacting. Reviews do impact the opening but not as much as some may think, i believe. As for online polls, they might not always reflect the "real" interest amongst the general audience, especially for an old IP like Indy. Tbh, i'm not overly concerned, it is the last Indy with Ford anyway, even if it is the movie of the year.

Your comparing this to Mario an illumination title and those are always aren't really affected by reviews. They target specifically kids who don't care that much about quality.

Crystal skull had 78% and it's reception was pretty bad. 

This reviews are just plain bad not even middling at least for now .

• Like 1