Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What would be memorable about TLC wo the Sean Connery legacy casting? Nothing honestly. I’d be shocked if it had even been a critical or commercial success at the time if not for that. 

That's a bit harsh, I think.

The climax is probably the best of all films. And it's got loads of really memorable bits all over, like finding the X in the library or meeting Hitler in Berlin

• Like 2

while the opening of Last Crusade is a little eye rolling in how it seemingly sets up all his unique trademarks all in one moment, like the guy who is chasing Indy in the beginning, it can't help but bring a smile to my face. Speaking of that guy, I always wanted to know more about him

MV5BNDQ2ZDQwOTktYWY5NC00MDUxLWFjMGYtNzZh

Edited by John Marston

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

while the opening of Last Crusade is a little eye rolling in how it seemingly sets up all his unique trademarks all in one moment, like the guy who is chasing Indy in the beginning, it can't help but bring a smile to my face. Speaking of that guy, I always wanted to know more about him

MV5BNDQ2ZDQwOTktYWY5NC00MDUxLWFjMGYtNzZh

If this were made today, Indy getting his hat and trademarks would be treated with the utmost biblical reverence vs a quick cute 10 minute intro.

21 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

If this were made today, Indy getting his hat and trademarks would be treated with the utmost biblical reverence vs a quick cute 10 minute intro.

It would also be the whole ass movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Merkel said:

That's a bit harsh, I think.

The climax is probably the best of all films. And it's got loads of really memorable bits all over, like finding the X in the library or meeting Hitler in Berlin

I never remember much about it until I watch it again. The Ford/Connery combo is always what sticks out, and I think it’s a more competently made film than probably ToD and definitely CS, but not as memorable. CS isn’t memorable to me either though outside of all the negatives. 

I feel like I recall CS reception at the time of release being along the lines of “Indy is BACK, this is so cool, I had so much fun” etc, and then right around the time it was leaving theaters everyone did a hard 180 and started pointing out how bad it was. Except Shia, I do remember everyone hating him and his character from the get go. 

On 5/22/2023 at 6:18 AM, wildphantom said:

there are three great Indiana Jones films. 

I agree

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. The Mummy

The rest aren't worth discussing.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:15 AM, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

This basically ruined Martin Scorsese's last movie for me so yes please stop.  We know what younger Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro looked like and whatever the hell those monstrosities were onscreen was so fucking distracting.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Julian Glover is the worst thing about TLC. He is such an unmemorable bad guy that no one else has mentioned how crap he is because the only thing people remember about him is him decomposing. He's also one of the worst Bond bad guys of all time.

CRYSTAL SKULL is a perfectly fine pulp adventure film.  Nothing great, but certainly not bad (and definitely better than any of the SW prequels). The big problem was waiting 19 years, After that length of time it had to be special. OK wasn't good enough for people.

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Julian Glover is the worst thing about TLC. He is such an unmemorable bad guy that no one else has mentioned how crap he is because the only thing people remember about him is him decomposing. He's also one of the worst Bond bad guys of all time.

CRYSTAL SKULL is a perfectly fine pulp adventure film.  Nothing great, but certainly not bad (and definitely better than any of the SW prequels). The big problem was waiting 19 years, After that length of time it had to be special. OK wasn't good enough for people.

Well he survived both hoth and Darth vaders wrath so he's got that going for him...

And I'm not a crystal skull hater but there's no way on earth it's better then revenge of the sith

Jmo of course

Edited by screambaby

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

What would be memorable about TLC wo the Sean Connery legacy casting? Nothing honestly. I’d be shocked if it had even been a critical or commercial success at the time if not for that. 

But they did cast him. This is like saying if Ford didn’t play Indie the first film probably bombed. There’s no point removing things from a film to then call the remaining rubbish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Yes after all that time it was fair to expect something memorable.

Instead, we got a film where Spielberg himself didn’t even believed in it because he never liked Lucas’ crystals McGuffin.

Still a fun ride anyway.

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

“If a film didn’t have this one crucial element it wouldn’t be as good” has never been a convincing argument. Was used against TDK with the joker, as if his presence was somehow a lucky accident. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

As far as these lukewarm reviews, I think like "Indy" as a franchise is probably critic proof at this point.  It's too Legendary, people will give it a shot and form their own opinions.   Also this is being marketed as the final ride for Harrison.   I remember 2008 very well.  There were some folks underestimating Indy's power.  Some said 19 years was too long of wait.  Well "Crystal Skulls" legged it's way to some very solid box office numbers that year.   Obviously this is a different time and it's 15 years later from that.  Would I be shocked if it dropped from the last Indy?  No but I also wouldn't be shocked if it surprised either.  Right now for me, I tracking this against "Crystal Skulls" which did this over it's first 5 days which featured Memorial Day Holiday:

May 22 Thursday 1 $25,041,072 - - 4,260 $5,878 $25,041,072 1
May 23 Friday 1 $30,571,275 +22.1% - 4,260 $7,176 $55,612,347 2
May 24 Saturday 1 $36,533,839 +19.5% - 4,260 $8,576 $92,146,186 3
May 25 Sunday 1 $33,032,721 -9.6% - 4,260 $7,754 $125,178,907 4
May 26
Memorial Day
Monday 1 $26,779,538 -18.9% - 4,260 $6,286 $151,958,445

Now Indy 5 has a Holiday Five Day as well (Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues/Holiday).   People will be taking Mon and Tuesday and probably Wednesday off for 4th of July Holiday.  So Indy has a nice opportunity to do something here.  Yes it's going to be a crowded market for sure.   Let's see what it can do over that stretch.   If it comes even close to this 5-Day that would be very solid.