Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

24 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Huh? Last I checked, Disney hasn’t released a single Alien film since buying Fox. 

People need big bads, apparently. With WB being a good guy for reasons. Avatar 2? Not good enough. MCU joints? Trash. Star Wars? Bah. WB savior of cinema because Fury Road and Dune I guess. It’s been always like this. Now with chuds joining the choir, it’s awesome. 

I'm just gonna be blunt with you, Zatt...

You're making yourself waaaayyyy too easy to troll in regards to this movie. Like "wounded gazelle in a field full of hyenas" level easy. What's it to you if some people felt The Batman (or really any movie) connected more than this specific one? It's not like Harrison Ford is going to personally thank you over this...

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'm just gonna be blunt with you, Zatt...

You're making yourself waaaayyyy too easy to troll in regards to this movie. Like "wounded gazelle in a field full of hyenas" level easy. What's it to you if some people felt The Batman (or really any movie) connected more than this specific one? It's not like Harrison Ford is going to personally thank you over this...

That’s not what I’m saying. I actually genuinely like The Batman. I think it’s one of the best Batman films ever. But saying that Indiana Jones and Dial of Destiny is a "cynical cash grab" and with the same breath loving The Batman, a franchise rebooted six times in less than 40 years doesn’t compute. It’s hilarious actually. And if you think I’m "easy to troll" over discussing film, the way I see it that’s more on you than on me. It doesn’t make sense, but you do you I guess. If it turns you on I hope you are getting a kick out of it.

37 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Huh? Last I checked, Disney hasn’t released a single Alien film since buying Fox. 

But they are gonna release Alien film and TV show next year which both sound so horrendous I'd rather watch even Ridley's third prequel.

Just now, TomThomas said:

But they are gonna release Alien film and TV show next year which both sound so horrendous I'd rather watch even Ridley's third prequel.

The TV show has yet to begin production, and probably won't be out until 2025. 

The film doesn't sound that bad to me, but who knows how it'll turn out.

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

People need big bads, apparently. With WB being a good guy for reasons. Avatar 2? Not good enough. MCU joints? Trash. Star Wars? Bah. WB savior of cinema because Fury Road and Dune I guess. It’s been always like this. Now with chuds joining the choir, it’s awesome. 

I like Avatar 2 though, but it was part of Fox merger. While Fox permanently ruined Alien way before Disney, they somehow managed to make even worse decisions than Fox brass, it's like Alien and Terminator franchises are some sort of Twilight Zone for studio executives where each subsequent regime somehow makes even worse decisions than previous one. I'd love to see Kathleen Kennedy taking over Alien because she would still do a better job than all previous higher ups and producers responsible for it.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s news to me. 

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I like Avatar 2 though, but it was part of Fox merger. While Fox permanently ruined Alien way before Disney, they somehow managed to make even worse decisions than Fox brass, it's like Alien and Terminator franchises are some sort of Twilight Zone for studio executives where each subsequent regime somehow makes even worse decisions than previous one. I'd love to see Kathleen Kennedy taking over Alien because she would still do a better job than all previous higher ups and producers responsible for it.

I’d be down for that. I really don’t like the direction that Scott went since Prometheus, I respect the fans that dig it but it’s not for me.

I feel like Disney is doing a lot of amazing stuff since they bought Marvel Studios, MCU included. I also don’t like the whole history revisionism with Star Wars. I do remember people trashing Rogue One and me loving that film, defending it here and elsewhere. With the passing of the years and most of all after Andor, it has become this critical darling and "best Star Wars film since Disney bought it" became kinda of a consensus. I mean I don’t mind people changing their minds, but that’s what happens with the passing of time in film twitter I guess. The Last Jedi is my favorite film of the ST and kind of my Star Wars hot take is that TROS is good actually, not amazing, but kind of how I feel about RotJ compared with the first two OG films.

I’m not a fan of the Disney classics, but I’m a sucker for old school Pixar films, those were always great. I just don’t understand what to hate about Disney that isn’t present in any of the other studios. All of them are looking for profit, what I follow are directors and artists, not really studios. Film twitter kinda treat studios like their home teams, and that always felt odd to me.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

The TV show has yet to begin production, and probably won't be out until 2025. 

The film doesn't sound that bad to me, but who knows how it'll turn out.

Well, it's not gonna be the worst thing that ever happened to Alien since AvP: Requiem exists, it's nearly impossible to break rock bottom further, but among all Alien stories they could do, they decided to make some of the worst ones you could possibly come up with, it almost feels like they do it on purpose.

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Well, it's not gonna be the worst thing that ever happened to Alien since AvP: Requiem exists

I've never seen either of the AvP movies, but every time I hear about them I thank God for that. 

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’d be down for that. I really don’t like the direction that Scott went since Prometheus, I respect the fans that dig it but it’s not for me.

I feel like Disney is doing a lot of amazing stuff since they bought Disney, MCU included. I also don’t like the whole history revisionism with Star Wars. I do remember people trashing Rogue One and me loving that film, defending it here and elsewhere. With the passing of the years and most of all after Andor, it has become this critical darling and "best Star Wars film since Disney bought it" became kinda of a consensus. I mean I don’t mind people changing their minds, but that’s what happens with the passing of time in film twitter I guess. The Last Jedi is my favorite film of the ST and kind of my Star Wars hot take is that TROS is good actually, not amazing, but kind of how I feel about RotJ compared with the first two OG films.

I’m not a fan of the Disney classics, but I’m a sucker for old school Pixar films, those were always great. I just don’t understand what to hate about Disney that isn’t present in any of the other studios. All of them are looking for profit, what I follow are directors and artists, not really studios. Film twitter kinda treat studios like their home teams, and that always felt odd to me.

Well, I really like Prometheus and what it was trying to do despite its flaws, and Covenant was probably the biggest movie disappointment of my life, but I can understand why people may not like this direction.

The last Disney specific thing I liked was probably Tron: Legacy and I love the original Pirates trilogy. Counting their other franchises, I don't know, I'm not Star Wars fan, I liked The Force Awakens, but didn't watch much since.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I've never seen either of the AvP movies, but every time I hear about them I thank God for that. 

You didn't miss anything, AvP2 is basically Uwe Boll film, absolute rock bottom. AvP1 is terrible too in my opinion, but not as bad.

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

Well, I really like Prometheus and what it was trying to do despite its flaws, and Covenant was probably the biggest movie disappointment of my life, but I can understand why people may not like this direction.

The last Disney specific thing I liked was probably Tron: Legacy and I love the original Pirates trilogy. Counting their other franchises, I don't know, I'm not Star Wars fan, I liked The Force Awakens, but didn't watch much since.

Gore Verbinski’s Pirates of the Caribbean is the best "og" trilogy of the 21st century and I won’t tolerate disrespect to their name. It’s truly flawless and it holds up incredibly well. Like I’ve said the other day, we truly need more Gore Verbinski films, I forgive him for The Lone Ranger, that was a mistake.

I feel like oddly enough Alien: Isolation is the best Alien story we had since Aliens. Also one of the most terrifying games I’ve ever played. Nightmare inducing shit, only topped by playing RE7 with VR because that one scarred me for life lol.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Gore Verbinski’s Pirates of the Caribbean is the best "og" trilogy of the 21st century and I won’t tolerate disrespect to their name. It’s truly flawless and it holds up incredibly well. Like I’ve said the other day, we truly need more Gore Verbinski films, I forgive him for The Lone Ranger, that was a mistake.

I feel like oddly enough Alien: Isolation is the best Alien story we had since Aliens. Also one of the most terrifying games I’ve ever played. Nightmare inducing shit, only topped by playing RE7 with VR because that one scarred me for life lol.

I fully agree with you on both. Watched the trilogy many times, and watched all of them in theaters too, it really felt like a big event and there was nothing like that on the market.

Alien: Isolation is probably the best Alien game ever made and the best thing in Alien franchise since Aliens indeed. It's such a shame you have to wait decades not only for a really good Alien movie, but also Alien game. It's been almost 10 years since Isolation was released and there's was nothing since then, some cheap multiplier shooter and XCOM clone.