Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Idk why they didn't bring back Mutt for this movie. They could've just recasted with Glenn Powell no one gave a sh-t enough about Kingdom of Crystal Skull to care about a change in Actor. It feels weird to me to bring in a new character in the final film with a goddaughter backstory we've never seen or heard before. Indy being with his son for a final adventure seems more impactful imo. You could've still had Helena in the movie maybe make Mutt and her a power couple of some sorts for the next movie. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, didn’t know it was suddenly cool to bash Mangold??? Practically all of his movies before this have been generally well received, so I really don’t think he was the big problem…

Mangold was hired because someone wanted him to channel what he did with Logan into Indy V. Apparently thought that it would be great for the Indy franchise to end in the same tone and mood that Logan did. And he delivered what he was hired for. Whether or not a family friendly, upbeat franchise should end in negativity though is a good question to ask.

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, didn’t know it was suddenly cool to bash Mangold??? Practically all of his movies before this have been generally well received, so I really don’t think he was the big problem…

He directed and co-wrote the movie, so I don't think it would be fair to not blame him too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Idk why they didn't bring back Mutt for this movie. They could've just recasted with Glenn Powell no one gave a sh-t enough about Kingdom of Crystal Skull to care about a change in Actor. It feels weird to me to bring in a new character in the final film with a goddaughter backstory we've never seen or heard before. Indy being with his son for a final adventure seems more impactful imo. You could've still had Helena in the movie maybe make Mutt and her a power couple of some sorts for the next movie. 

I think the obvious sidekick in an Indiana Jones movie that has the key theme of aging, would have been Short Round. A grown up Shorty trying to stop his aging mentor, who's become obsessed with some doohickey or another that reverses the aging process, would have been a compelling dynamic.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

I think the obvious sidekick in an Indiana Jones movie that has the key theme of aging, would have been Short Round. A grown up Shorty trying to stop his aging mentor, who's become obsessed with some doohickey or another that reverses the aging process, would have been a compelling dynamic.

If Dial of Destiny had started production/writing post-EEAAO Ke Huy Quan would have been the co-lead of the film, I guarantee you.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

I would have seen that, and I never got around to seeing Temple of Doom.

I think critics who claimed in one chorus that this movie has better (and more satysfying!!) ending for the character than Crystal Skull were under influence of some really heavy drugs. I really want to hear their arguments how this rushed and forced "that's it?" nonsense is better than Indy marrying the love of his life in the circle of friends and his newfound son, I really don't get it.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Daf said:

I'm not sure you could get everyone to agree "it should never have been made" about ANY movie, lol

I would have seen it with 4 kids and a wife probably twice if it wasn't for the Helen portrayl in the trailers and the last 10 years of alienating movies and tv. Though I never would have been happy with time travel leaks I could get over it if everything else wasn't offensive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

I would have seen it with 4 kids and a wife probably twice if it wasn't for the Helen portrayl in the trailers and the last 10 years of alienating movies and tv. Though I never would have been happy with time travel leaks I could get over it if everything else wasn't offensive. 

Yeah, as there is a superhero movie fatigue now (call it bored to the formulatic storytelling or whatever) there is a another fatigue that might be harder to define that is and will be debated for sometime until it is apparent enough. Actors such as Emily Blunt, Richard Dreyfus, and Denzel Washington have also shared their frustrations about it.

We can call it ideology over storytelling, deconstructivism in films, or whatever but it's there and your type of frustrations and descriptions aren't some fringe. It's the silent majority's which votes on its feet.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Yeah, as there is a superhero movie fatigue now (call it bored to the formulatic storytelling or whatever) there is a another fatigue that might be harder to define that is and will be debated for sometime until it is apparent enough. Actors such as Emily Blunt, Richard Dreyfus, and Denzel Washington have also shared their frustrations about it.

We can call it ideology over storytelling, deconstructivism in films, or whatever but it's there and your type of frustrations and descriptions aren't some fringe. It's the silent majority's which votes on its feet.

Poignant post. the cultural conflict is more philosophical and ethical than political. We have been dealing with nihilism in the culture for decades but we went full Derida about 10 years ago. Now some are mad when people care about things and will scornfully deconstruct them to rub your face in it that nothing is worth care or respect.

Deconstruction is not impressive to many and has all the maturity and wit of teen agnst. It's like a creator being proud they found the mechanism and wants to show it off as if no one else knew the mechanisms used to build things. The deconstructivist is so impressed with the tool they ignore what can be built with it.

We have always had band wars in music, geeks have tons of brand wars b/c instinctually we do know things need to profit and if what we like gets less profit than what we dislike, we will get less of what we like and more of what we don't, but the first time I ever saw people angry at others disliking something was Ghostbusters 2016 and it never stopped.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

Poignant post. the cultural conflict is more philosophical and ethical than political. We have been dealing with nihilism in the culture for decades but we went full Derida about 10 years ago. Now some are mad when people care about things and will scornfully deconstruct them to rub your face in it that nothing is worth care or respect.

Deconstruction is not impressive to many and has all the maturity and wit of teen agnst. It's like a creator being proud they found the mechanism and wants to show it off as if no one else knew the mechanisms used to build things. The deconstructivist is so impressed with the tool they ignore what can be built with it.

We have always had band wars in music, geeks have tons of brand wars b/c instinctually we do know things need to profit and if what we like gets less profit than what we dislike, we will get less of what we like and more of what we don't, but the first time I ever saw people angry at others disliking something was Ghostbusters 2016 and it never stopped.

Well said! And I agree that we are talking about much deeper issues here than just political trends. It also makes it more difficult to discuss explicitly without getting lost in everyday noise.

I thought it was good, not great, certainly a lot better then Cystal Skull. The  Movie had a lot of problems, but the way they treated Indy is not one of them.

I guess it is a generational thing. When you realize you have fewer years ahead of you then behind you, you change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

A few months before Ghostbusters 2016 opened, I saw exactly the same "How dare you dislike something I like" reaction with Batman Vs Superman. Only difference was with the BvS over the top fans you did have politics invovled.

It certainly happened with GB 2016, but ti was

n0t the first.

You have couple of people here who still swear that if did not care for GB2106 it's because you are a Sexist. And they got even more bitter whwn GB 2021 was a big hit.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Godzilla said:

It feels weird to me to bring in a new character in the final film with a goddaughter backstory we've never seen or heard before. 

I've seen this take from a few people now and I don't really agree with it. In an ideal world it would've been nice to have Indy's son and Shortround come back for his final adventure but that scenario unfortunately didn't come to pass. I'm cool with him going on an adventure with new people every installment. 

Haven't these movies established that Indy has friends from all over? I'm surprised he doesn't have more god kids (or biological kids) out there that we don't know about.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Lol, just say it out load and call it what it is, then. No need to be coy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

I've seen this take from a few people now and I don't really agree with it. In an ideal world it would've been nice to have Indy's son and Shortround come back for his final adventure but that scenario unfortunately didn't come to pass. I'm cool with him going on an adventure with new people every installment. 

Haven't these movies established that Indy has friends from all over? I'm surprised he doesn't have more god kids (or biological kids) out there that we don't know about.

They could've easily recasted Mutt and bring back Short Round if they wanted to. 

• Like 1