Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

17 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Guessing Disney's smoking ban doesn't apply to it then. 

Guessing it is Nazis and "in an unfavorable light":

SMOKING IN MOVIES

The Walt Disney Company actively limits the depiction of smoking in movies marketed to youth.

Our practices currently include the following:

• Disney has determined not to depict cigarette smoking in movies produced by it after 2015 (2007 in the case of Disney branded movies) and distributed under the Disney, Pixar, Marvel or Lucasfilm labels, that are rated G, PG or PG-13, except for scenes that:

• - depict a historical figure who may have smoked at the time of his or her life; or
  • - portray cigarette smoking in an unfavorable light or emphasize the negative consequences of smoking.

that's presuming this policy is still in force across the board.  Doing some causal searching, was in place for Cruella.  Not sure if it's still all Disney movies.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

that's presuming this policy is still in force across the board.  Doing some causal searching, was in place for Cruella.  Not sure if it's still all Disney movies.

I imagine they're willing to make exceptions on everything except Disney-branded movies (since those are naturally going to be marketed to young children among their audience).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine they're willing to make exceptions on everything except Disney-branded movies (since those are naturally going to be marketed to young children among their audience).

Maybe.  The coverage back in 2015 did go out of its way to say "everything". Is a tiny bit more nuance at the sheet I linked to:

•  Disney will work with theater owners to encourage the exhibition of an anti-smoking public service announcement before the theatrical exhibition of any of its movies rated G, PG or PG-13 that depicts cigarette smoking.
  •  Disney will include provisions in third-party distribution agreements for movies it distributes that are produced by others in the United States and for which principal photography has not begun at the time the third-party distribution agreement is signed advising filmmakers that it discourages depictions of cigarette smoking in movies that are rated G, PG or PG-13.
  •  For movies produced outside the United States or where Disney’s influence over the content of films is limited (such as movies co-produced by Disney), Disney seeks to discourage depiction of smoking in its movies that are rated G, PG or PG-13 where we believe it is appropriate and practical to do so.

but not much more nuance.

From an article in NYT in 2018 it claims that the last Disney films (PG13 and under) which had smoking were IM3 and Ant Man, both  released in 2015.  But I'm not sure about films released since 2018 as the online database the NYT linked to wasn't exactly very User Friendly. 

Plus, as I said, there's the historical usage/negative light exceptions.

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe.  The coverage back in 2015 did go out of its way to say "everything".  Is a tiny bit more nuance at the sheet I linked to:

but not much more nuance.

From an article in NYT in 2018 it claims that the last Disney films (PG13 and under) which had smoking were IM3 and Ant Man.  But I'm not sure about films released since then as the online database the NYT linked to wasn't exactly very User Friendly.

West Side Story '21 had smoking in it but obviously they were never going to say "no" to a titan like Spielberg and it was released under the 20th Century label (which they acquired in 2019). I'm guessing that section of the studio and Searchlight are mostly getting a free pass to do whatever they like since there's little to no concern that they'll be welcomed on Disney+ someday (for the most part - West Side Story was deemed acceptable for D+ instead of Hulu).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

West Side Story '21 had smoking in it but obviously they were never going to say "no" to a titan like Spielberg and it was released under the 20th Century label (which they acquired in 2019). I'm guessing that section of the studio and Searchlight are mostly getting a free pass to do whatever they like since there's little to no concern that they'll be welcomed on Disney+ someday (for the most part - West Side Story was deemed acceptable for D+ instead of Hulu).

Yeah, I don't know if you read it or not, but the NYT article I linked to was about the Fox acquisition and how it might apply to future Fox films. I do note that the first Avatar had smoking in it and the second didn't, so.... 

Eh.  Find out soon enough.

(I still am putting my bet on "Nazis" and "negative light")

((outside shot of Historical Character))

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

This is arguably the dumbest policy in cinema history. It’s not like Disney ever had a movie that showed smoking in a positive light.

24 minutes ago, Eric the Velocipastor said:

This is arguably the dumbest policy in cinema history. It’s not like Disney ever had a movie that showed smoking in a positive light.

Aladdin_Smoking_Still.jpg?w=1280

(literally ten seconds of Googling)

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:23 AM, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

It probably makes more sense to place it into a wider context of attempts to stigmatize smoking and interest group lobbying. MPAA added smoking as a reason for higher film rating in 2007;  the WHO attempted to put pressure to ban smoking in non-adult (as in R rated) content in 2016; Disney's internal ban, etc. There's a wider story here that's not so much about Disney specifically. 

On 3/8/2023 at 4:01 AM, filmlover said:

Disney+ UK currently has Commando streaming on it with Arnold smoking a big fat cigar (it’s on the password protected Star section, but it’s still D+).

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It probably makes more sense to place it into a wider context of attempts to stigmatize smoking and interest group lobbying. MPAA added smoking as a reason for higher film rating in 2007;  the WHO attempted to put pressure to ban smoking in non-adult (as in R rated) content in 2016; Disney's internal ban, etc. There's a wider story here that's not so much about Disney specifically. 

I read that Joe Eszterhas  who was one of  the highest paid screen writers in the business n the 90's .he wrote "Basic Instinct" and most of Verhoeven's fioms among othere....was a main cause of the crackdown on smoking after he admttied that he had been a four pack a day man, resented the restrictions on smolking in restaurants and plane flights, and struck back by writing scenes in his movies that made smoking cigarettes look really cool and sexy. He made this admission after he had lung surgery for a cancerous growth caused by..surprise..smoking. He also stated he was not the only screenwriter who tried to glamorize smoking.

But, yeah, they have always been exceptions. I note that pipes and cigars are easier to get by with on screen then cigarrettes.

I am susprised that Indy's iconic 

9 hours ago, froztking said:

so disney trusts this movie so much to have premiers this early ! this movie have the potential to go super big ! they need to get great WOM ! and make sure they promote it as a event ! 

Certainly shows they have  confidence they fixed what was wrong with Indy 4.

I am still surpirsed at the hostality toward the franchsie I have seen here.

• Like 1