Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The WOM would have to be maybe even more insane than TGM for that considering it is in the most crowded spot of the most crowded blockbuster summer pretty much ever. 

Ever? Naaah I rem 1994 lion king , Forrest Gump, True Lies,  clear and present danger and a bunch of.bo monsters. All made serious loot. But yep all of.these are amongst the best films of all time as well to pull those insane ticket sales off..🦝👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Ever? Naaah I rem 1994 lion king , Forrest Gump, True Lies,  clear and present danger and a bunch of.bo monsters. All made serious loot. But yep all of.these are amongst the best films of all time as well to pull those insane ticket sales off..🦝👍

I don’t even look at 20th century BO when discussing modern BO… it’s quite literally moot. But in terms of the number of franchise and big budget blockbusters, I think this summer might take the cake. Some of those movies you listed were mid budget stuff that broke out huge back when that was way more of a possibility. 

On 2/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, Saul Goodman said:

$600M-$700M looks easily doable for a franchise like this. Just waiting on Lucasfilm to start their nostalgia marketing, they're pretty good at it!

I assume you mean worldwide lol?.

I still think there is a chance this comes under Crystal Skull. You need to ask how many of the masses want to watch a bumbling and mumbling 80yo Indiana Jones.

The film also looks more sound stagey than even Crystal Skull did.

Edited by stuart360

Just now, stuart360 said:

I still think there is a chance this comes under Crystal Skull. You need to ask how many of the masses want to watch a bumblimg and mumbling 80yo Inidana Jones.

We certainly are in uncharted territory here with an 80 year attempting to anchor a big budget blockbuster. The only other thing that even comes close I can think of would be Up, but not a great comp at all for what should be obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:16 AM, WittyUsername said:

I’m not even sure fighting Nazis is considered as universally non-controversial as it once was…

No one is more concerned about the rise of the far fight in the USA..and elsewhere then I am but I think beating up on Nazis is not controversial.  Even those who behind closed doors are Hitler Huggers don't show it public if they have any hope of getting elected to office.

I think the comment was a attempt at humor that did not come off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

We certainly are in uncharted territory here with an 80 year attempting to anchor a big budget blockbuster. The only other thing that even comes close I can think of would be Up, but not a great comp at all for what should be obvious reasons. 

It all depends on how well it is done. 

John Wayne had sucessful action films when he was in his seventies. It depends on how well it is staged.

if the deagind works, and if, as I suspect for the more modern scenes Indy's younger companions do the heavy action lifting , I think this could work.

I also see "agism" at work in this thread,; hate to say it but a  lot of people on this site seem to have some contempt ofr anybody over 60.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sky Captain

Now there is a name and film that I have not thought about in a long, long time and I doubt most people here even know about it. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

John Wayne had sucessful action films when he was in his seventies. It depends on how well it is staged.

if the deagind works, and if, as I suspect for the more modern scenes Indy's younger companions do the heavy action lifting , I think this could work.

I also see "agism" at work in this thread,; hate to say it but a  lot of people on this site seem to have some contempt ofr anybody over 60.

I don’t think we’re the ones being ageist, we’re suggesting general audiences might be ageist. 

Ageism is fine when it comes to Indy. He's not an interesting character; he's an action hero archetype that works because the audience wants to be him. And no-one wants to be 80. 

This movie has two things going for it: its director and rock-bottom expectations after Cystal Skull.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I still think there is a chance this comes under Crystal Skull. You need to ask how many of the masses want to watch a bumbling and mumbling 80yo Indiana Jones.

Yep, I meant worldwide. Nostalgia blockbusters have been huge since 2015.

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oh go away with the agism crap. You cant comment on anything these days without someone trying to turn it into something bad.

Indiana Jones is an action icon, and Ford is 80.

Being put off by that has nothing to do with hating old people.

Honestly lol.

Edited by stuart360

14 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Ageism is fine when it comes to Indy. He's not an interesting character; he's an action hero archetype that works because the audience wants to be him. And no-one wants to be 80. 

No one wants to be 80, but everyone (or at least most people should) wants to be as spry and adventurous at 80 as Indy/Ford appears to be.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

No one wants to be 80, but everyone (or at least most people should) wants to be as spry and adventurous at 80 as Indy/Ford appears to be.

My goal when I become 60+ is to be as fit and buff as Stephen Lang. His arms are just 😍

CbI8MAtW4AAFSVC?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I repeat, John Wayne managed to be an sucessful action hero into his Seventies.

And Ford might be 80,  but the Inky in the trialers looks fine in his older version, like someone in his early sixties. It is not about how old you are in a movie, but how old you look.

• Like 1