Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Good marketing for sure. 

I personally think Raiders is probably as good as any mainstream action movie can be. It holds really well in subsequent views. I really liked Last Crusade when I was young. Now I feel it does not hold that well. it retreads very similar plot line as Raiders. Only good stuff was chemistry between Connery and Ford but some of the humor does not hold very well. I never like Temple of Doom or Crystal Skull. I think I will wait this out to watch it at D+

• ...wtf 1

53 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Presuming great reviews in Cannes, i predict 130M OW. What does everyone else think?

I'm thinking about $10-$15 million lower, but there is potential for it to go higher. 

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Presuming great reviews in Cannes, i predict 130M OW. What does everyone else think?

If reviews are great (75 on MC is great for Cannes) and they manage to profit from the reception to build hype than yeah 120M or so OW

And then it depends on WOM, Disney seems confident it can pull a mini TPG, let’s see if it can get 4x multiplier.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good marketing for sure. 

I personally think Raiders is probably as good as any mainstream action movie can be. It holds really well in subsequent views. I really liked Last Crusade when I was young. Now I feel it does not hold that well. it retreads very similar plot line as Raiders. Only good stuff was chemistry between Connery and Ford but some of the humor does not hold very well. I never like Temple of Doom or Crystal Skull. I think I will wait this out to watch it at D+

What a sin. You should rethink that. ;)

I do agree that critics of Crystal Skull should again take a hard look at Temple of Doom, those two are the weakest of the bunch. But you still can have fun with them.

Last Crusade is great, btw.

Edited by Elessar

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

What a sin...

I do agree that critics of Crystal Skull should again take a hard look at Temple of Doom, those two are the weakest of the bunch. But you still can have fun with them.

I did not have fun 1st time around. This is just my personal opinion. I know indiana jones otherwise is among the biggest brands. Even if this is the "last ride" with Ford, Disney will make another one either as a reboot or with a new character. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

What the hell has happened with BOT and why we are paying attention to these alt right scammers again? Seriously, who the fuck cares what these a-holes think about Indiana Jones?

Becuase it's important to keep an eye on them and refute their lies.

Sricking you head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away always ends badly.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

For people that loves to say how we get offended by everything, is pretty remarkable how a ironic joke can make them lose their minds lol

Stripping politics/political commentators out of it, "should films include quasi-fourth wall breaking metacommentary" is a genuine question of taste that I think by itself would explain many people's divergent responses to a number of films and tv shows (really especially tv shows given they're written as audiences are consuming the same show). You hear the screenwriter pontificating more than being immersed in the content of the work. 

There's a real immersion tradeoff that can (but doesn't have to be) complemented by "and that means I think the screenwriter likes/dislikes people like me" stuff. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce