Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: Elysium 30.5M; Millers 26.55M; Planes 22.53M; Percy Jackson 14.6M Pg 29

Just got back form We are the Millers, It was surprisingly weirdly endearing and cute. 

Saw that last night. I was also surprised at how cute it was considering the storyline. I thought it was overall a decent funny film, though the first 20 minutes or so felt like it dragged a bit.

• Like 1

To a studio? Well a new release...probably about half a million units.Planes will make solid money.

I imagine it'll keep the interest in the Cars/Planes franchise in terms of Merch sales high, wonder if Trains or Boats is in development? I'm sure Disney could just do spinoff after spinoff once Planes loses its luster.

I imagine it'll keep the interest in the Cars/Planes franchise in terms of Merch sales high, wonder if Trains or Boats is in development? I'm sure Disney could just do spinoff after spinoff once Planes loses its luster.

They'll probably do three of these (two is basically done)...then do Cars 3.Then Trucks. Then bicycles. Then Segways. Then the finale...Rascals.
  • Like 1

Continuing to make big budget flops is never a good thing for a major film studio.

It's a testament to the strength of the Disney brand that they can withstand these massive failures. Disney's stock price has been steadily climbing and its because they have so many different avenues to make profit from. A film like Cars 2, for example, didn't break even theatrically when factoring in the budget and marketing but not only has it make a ton from toy sales obviously, it also funnels back to the Disney theme parks and hotels which make tons of money. When Disney makes a film, they can make toys, theme park characters and tons of merchandise. And they own Lucas Film, Pixar, and Marvel... kinda crazy

Sucks that it looks like another SciFi film is going to disappoint. :(

The solid sci-fi film of the summer....STiD, which had, at first, a WWW thread, then it's legs stabilized and reality of it's success sank in(for some). LOL!!

Star Trek bitches!!! 

• Like 3

The solid sci-fi film of the summer....STiD, which had, at first, a WWW thread, then it's legs stabilized and reality of it's success sank in(for some). LOL!!

Star Trek bitches!!! 

Yeah, looking back after seeing how other movies have done this Summer, it is hilarious that STiD got a WWW thread. :lol:

^^^

And yet, it's fate and outcome have indeed changed.

Just cause you aren't on board doesn't mean it' isn't so. 

Comparing STID and other low key sci-fi films like Elysium or PR is not the same. STID was suppose to be a top contender of the year, and is known name, unlike no names like Elysium and PR. Back in January, I'm sure no one heard of those sci-fi films. It doesn't matter what the other sci-fi films did, because no one cared for them. STID was the one that was talked about, and the one that did infact underperform compared to what it was predicted to make.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was an underperformer. But it underperformed expectations and potential...it didn't flop though.And it was a damn entertaining film.

yeah I loved it too but I am tired of this revisionism surrounding it. Saying it was always expected to decrease. What utter shit. And lumping it together with the other Sci Fi movies of the year as if they were all on the same level BO wise

and considering the 190m budget not counting marketing, the profit probably wasn't too great

Edited by Robert Muldoon

I've heard rumblings that they're working on a Cars origin story, which is the only element of this world I could be interested in. I want to see how Mater and friends enslaved and descimated manlind.

Stephen King already told us how:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucks_(short_story)