Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: Elysium 30.5M; Millers 26.55M; Planes 22.53M; Percy Jackson 14.6M Pg 29

Disney have a history of overbudget blockbuster and the problem is that they usually have a huge film or two that covers the losses of the flop, there isn't a smaller film like a comedy which could make a profit on a decent budget. They do have a small film this year in the form of Saving Mr Banks but I don't think that'll be a huge hit but it'll make money.

What about Planes? Not a small film, but it does have a small budget, especially for an animated movie, and it's already making a decent profit.

I agree with you though, Disney does have trouble keeping their budgets under control.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

What about Planes? Not a small film, but it does have a small budget, especially for an animated movie, and it's already making a decent profit.I agree with you though, Disney does have trouble keeping their budgets under control.

Planes were originally meant to be direct to DVD with a limited OS theatrical release but Disney upgraded to a theatrical release, the budget I imagine is $20-30m which is low for an animated film but expensive if it had gone DTV, its designed like the Tinkerbell series to sell the Cars merchandise which is a huge seller for them.DisneyToons used to release theatrical films like A Goofy Movie or The Tigger Movie in quiet months like February or August but they stopped doing it since they're weren't making money, Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Planes were originally meant to be direct to DVD with a limited OS theatrical release but Disney upgraded to a theatrical release, the budget I imagine is $20-30m which is low for an animated film but expensive if it had gone DTV, its designed like the Tinkerbell series to sell the Cars merchandise which is a huge seller for them.DisneyToons used to release theatrical films like A Goofy Movie or The Tigger Movie in quiet months like February or August but they stopped doing it since they're weren't making money,

Okay!

I don’t think they’ll be making a small budgeted movie anytime soon.

• Like 1

Okay! I don’t think they’ll be making a small budgeted movie anytime soon.

Saving Mr Banks isn't likely to have had gotten a high budget and they've got Alexander and the No Good, no Horrible Day next year which is a family film which I can't imagine has a huge budget either, they do release smaller films but not very often. Its either tentpoles or nothing, it wouldn't hurt them to release more midrange budget films but i think the family comedy has fallen out of favour which is a shame.

Okay it’s been more ho-hum than anything, still that one flop wasn’t just a flop, it was a giant bomb.

Disney isn’t going out of business anytime soon, but they need to stop overbudgeting their movies. It could lead to disastrous consequences.

What disastrous consequences? Disney makes a few films with a huge budget each year, and if they are smart then they will realize that sometimes a film will bomb and plan accordingly. It seems to be working so far.

Not shocked that WTM is breaking out.  The audience for R-rated comedies was looking for new material (last one released was The Heat back in late June).  On the flip side, another big sci-fi blockbuster that had breakout potential in Elysium gets capped because the audience is burned out on them at this point.

The schedule fails to explain Planes breaking out after all these other family films disappointed.  Guess kids really like talking vehicles or something.

Edited by TylerDurden365
  • Like 1

Planes were originally meant to be direct to DVD with a limited OS theatrical release but Disney upgraded to a theatrical release, the budget I imagine is $20-30m which is low for an animated film but expensive if it had gone DTV, its designed like the Tinkerbell series to sell the Cars merchandise which is a huge seller for them.

BOM has Planes at a $50m budget.

What disastrous consequences? Disney makes a few films with a huge budget each year, and if they are smart then they will realize that sometimes a film will bomb and plan accordingly. It seems to be working so far.

Continuing to make big budget flops is never a good thing for a major film studio.

Planes were originally meant to be direct to DVD with a limited OS theatrical release but Disney upgraded to a theatrical release, the budget I imagine is $20-30m which is low for an animated film but expensive if it had gone DTV, its designed like the Tinkerbell series to sell the Cars merchandise which is a huge seller for them.DisneyToons used to release theatrical films like A Goofy Movie or The Tigger Movie in quiet months like February or August but they stopped doing it since they're weren't making money,

I thought Planes budget was 50m?

Not shocked that WTM is breaking out.  The audience for R-rated comedies was looking for new material (last one released was The Heat back in late June).  On the flip side, another big sci-fi blockbuster that had breakout potential in Elysium gets capped because the audience is burned out on them at this point.

The schedule fails to explain Planes breaking out after all these other family films disappointed.  Guess kids really like talking vehicles or something.

Moviegoers have been burned out of sci-fi movies all year.

I thought Planes budget was 50m?

$50m wouldn't surprise me, thats expensive for a film originally destined for home entertainment but low for a theatrical animated film, I guess future Planes films will cost less since they'll reuse most of the character models.

Moviegoers have been burned out of sci-fi movies all year.

Just shows Inception is hard to come by, when it comes to original sci fi, that is. Nice to see big names jumping on the bandwaggon after Nolan's masterpiece but neither Oblivion nor Elysium (let alone After Earth) came anywhere close to that quality. Inception is this decade's icon for sure.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't think legs will be good either.  75mish finish.

Although I don’t believe it’ll have any good legs, I don’t think Elysium will have After-Earth legs either.

A 85 million dollar domestic gross is more realistic if you ask me.