Neo

Captain Underpants | June 2, 2017

They dropped the ball big time having this release this friday instead of where Wimpy Kid was. I can see what they were going for but it is just not going to work. I'm going opening day and I can't wait to see the crowd discrepancy between this and WW.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

What was FOX thinking putting Captain Underpants against Wonder Woman? Wimpy Kid MIGHT have been better counter-programming but frankly I don't think so. I would have put Captain Underpants in May on Wimpy Kid's slot and moved Wimpy Kid to August where there's very weak competition.

42 minutes ago, Covfefe Bottle said:

What was FOX thinking putting Captain Underpants against Wonder Woman? Wimpy Kid MIGHT have been better counter-programming but frankly I don't think so. I would have put Captain Underpants in May on Wimpy Kid's slot and moved Wimpy Kid to August where there's very weak competition.

I'm sure they wanted to target a time when school's out -- the demo is really young. And maybe they thought they'd have a good chance at capturing the family market before CARS (possibly with the assumption that WW would skew older/darker/not be well received). 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
14 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm sure they wanted to target a time when school's out -- the demo is really young. And maybe they thought they'd have a good chance at capturing the family market before CARS (possibly with the assumption that WW would skew older/darker/not be well received). 

Then maybe later in June would work better especially since their WW assumption seems to be dead wrong.

Around here, Friday is the last day for all the grade schools....elementary gets out at 11:30.

Maybe I should just bite that extra 5$ primetime fee and go at 5PM tomorrow to potentially avoid them.

Edited by Morieris

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What reviews?

What The Flick crew on twitter are praising it.  

Lemire: You guys: #CaptainUnderpants is good. Like, really good. It might even be great. #tralala

Bibbiani: It always amazes me when studios set strict, last minute review embargoes for films that are AMAZING. Don't they know what they have?

Yup. I think some people assume I'm talking about Wonder Woman, which would only prove my point that certain movies need more buzz

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Congrats @YourMother now it just needs to do well at the box office.

We'll see how it does later in reviews, if it's over 70% on RT I'd say $35M-$40M can still happen. Besides it is outsourced so CU will be fine with Storks numbers.

• Like 1

It is selling at my locals...I think legs are a certainty for this - I don't see Cars 3 denting it too much in 2 weeks...may open to the smaller side, but openings aren't the be-all and end-all for 1st-time animated movies (aka, the non-sequels:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1