Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I disagree about Spock. I can see an argument for Kirk but Chris Pine seemed like he was invested.

I think Chris Pine was absolutely invested. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Pine and Quinto were fine but neither was really given much to work with this time around (other than the Nimoy stuff for Quinto). Urban was hilarious, I say scrap the next movie give us a Bones spin-off in which he says nothing but acidic one-liners for two hours.

I agree Bones was the absolute best.  I had a hair of a problem with the way the writers wrote Spock's part. 

Spoiler

There were enough 'exceptions' to the rule of no emotion that there almost seemed to really be no 'emotionless' rule at all.  It was ok, but I thought they overdid that part.

I liked Pine.

I had a really good time watching it, though.  The first 15 minutes I wasn't as drawn into it, but then it got terrific imho.

• Like 1

I caught this today in 3-D (typically darker than it should be), but I really enjoyed this, and may go catch it one more time in theaters.  I hope word of mouth is good, and encourages a sequel (an emotion I absolutely didn't feel with STID)  And...yes, I hope they include Jayla.  ;-)    Quibbles could be made about Elba's character and a few so-called "plotholes" but overall, I think this is a great homage with fun characters and a very enjoyable experience that I can see myself watching more times throughout the years.  Kudos to Lin and the crew and cast. 

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I didn't see it in 3D but that first act was pretty dark, can't imagine how dark it is in 3D.

Yeah, wasn't my choice, just that time was the only one that worked out for the friend I went with.

Star Trek Beyond was originally scheduled for July 8, 2016.

I think that would have been a MUCH better date than what we got with July 22. More days in the summer and it would have had 21 days to itself before being hit by Jason Bourne, and 28 days before before being hit by Suicide Squad.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2016 at 7:28 PM, WrathOfHan said:

I didn't see it in 3D but that first act was pretty dark, can't imagine how dark it is in 3D.

It shouldn't be a problem.  I saw it in IMAX 3D and didn't have a hard time seeing anything.  Just only the disorientation with action scenes.  Especially on the Yorktown.

3 hours ago, Klingo said:

It shouldn't be a problem.  I saw it in IMAX 3D and didn't have a hard time seeing anything.  Just only the disorientation with action scenes.  Especially on the Yorktown.

IMAX has better projectors than 99% of Real D/Digital 3D projectors though

2 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Updated Star Trek projections:

Weekend 3: 11M (-54.2%) cum: 132.5M

Weekend 4: 6.9M (-36.9%) cum 147.2M

Weekend 5: 4.3M (-37.4%) cum 156.1M

Weekend 6: 2.8M (-35.4%) cum 161.5M

Weekend 7 (3-Day): 2.6M (-7.5%)

Weekend 7 (4-Day): 3.5M (+125%) cum 166.7M

DOM: 177.436M (2.995x)

WW: 407.899M (56.5% foreign share)

I've been listening to the score in between the Picard movies to try and keep my sanity and I just gotta say this is a thing of beauty:

Anyway, I'm one Tom Hardy movie away from finally being able to rank these stupid things :D

• Like 1

Yet another 200m budgeted film bombing this summer because no one knows how to budget blockbusters correctly these days apparently. When are the studios gonna learn? Again, none of y'all Inferior Five are Disney with hundreds of millions to blow, no matter how much you wish you were. 

On 23 juillet 2016 at 2:33 AM, Telemachos said:

In the midst of the rankings, one of the things I appreciated about BEYOND was how it re-incorporated Roddenberry's humanist philosophy back into the series. It didn't make a big deal about it, but giving that vision specific voice made this feel more Trek-ish than almost anything else in the NuTrek saga (aside from the main characters, I suppose).

I am gonna sound condescending here but if people actually knew how these movies are made, they would understand these movies cannot cost less.

Also, the obession of producers is to cut down costs.

On any movie.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

After watching all 4 TNG movies in one day, I'm somehow still alive. Which means rankings of course :D

1. Undiscovered Country
  2. Beyond
  3. ST09
  4. Voyage Home
  5. Khan
  6. First Contact
  7. Into Darkness
  8. Motion Picture
  9. Search for Spock
  10. Insurrection
  11. Final Frontier
  12. Nemesis
  13. Generations

Ah, it's a great feeling being able to do this after all those years of having only 2 movies on this list.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2016 at 6:44 PM, Elessar said:

Just saw a teaser for the new TV show and um... if their intention was to lower my hype they succeeded. Look for yourself...

I understand they threw something together quickly for SDCC but even still. I'm not one to bitch about CGI but this looks so bad it's embarassing. Would have been better to show nothing. And that ship design is ugly as hell. Looks like a cross between a Klingon and Federation ship. Hmm... maybe it is...

Special effects by Billy!

58 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Updated Star Trek projections:

Weekend 4: 6.4M (-36.9%) cum 142.1M
Weekend 5: 4.0M (-37.4%) cum 150.7M
Weekend 6: 2.6M (-35.4%) cum 155.9M
Weekend 7 (3-Day): 2.4M (-7.5%)
Weekend 7 (4-Day): 3.3M (+25%) cum 160.9M

DOM: 171.312M 177.436M (2.891x)
WW: 393.821M (56.5% foreign share)